SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:28 AM
Omaha, Nebraska USA
Joined Dec 2003
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm15141
Ah I knew it was too good to be true, Atomic Hobbies just refunded my payment and cancelled the order...Oh well
Well, at least they were prompt with your refund. My experience with them was less favorable.

I "won" the auction for the parts, and immediately paid via PayPal. PayPal showed that they received payment that same day.

A week goes by. No parts. I'm about ready to call somebody and ask about it, when I get a refund notice from Paypal, and an e-mail from Atomic Hobbies saying that they never had the parts in the first place!

It gets better. The e-mail from Atomic says that, after refunding my payment, they've started an "unpaid transaction" complaint against me! But that they will generously agree to a "mutual transaction withdrawal" to settle the matter. (So they don't get charged by Ebay.)

I declined, of course. There was nothing "mutual" about this fiasco. They listed items for sale on Ebay thay never had, held my payment for a week, unfairly started an "unpaid transaction" complaint, and expected me to pretend that the transaction withdrawal was a "mutual" decision. At no time did they offer to make things "right". As far as I'm concerned, they s k!

I'll never buy anything from them ever, and would consider it foolish for anyone else who has read this to do so. Buyer beware of Atomic Hobbies!

Dean in Omaha
PfalzPflyer is offline Find More Posts by PfalzPflyer
Last edited by PfalzPflyer; Mar 12, 2008 at 01:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2008, 08:32 AM
Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
2,712 Posts
8x6 too much prop???
So anyone trying new props?
I just couldn't live with the anorexic looking APC 6x4 on the SE5a. I'm sure it's a great prop, but just doesn't look scale at all. I went looking for something larger and couldn't find what I was after (GWS 7x5 or 7x4 slow flyer) locally so I decided to try what I could find. I propped WAY up to a 8x6 GWS slow flyer. E-Flite says the park 250 can handle it as the upper end of recommended props. With such a draggy airframe, I'd rather go a bit smaller or less pitch. Initial flight tests show great performance however. The throttle was much lower at cruise with tremendous gains in thrust and authority at WOT. I should mention that I'm flying with the recommended E-Flite 10A pro ESC.
Am I going to burn up my motor or ESC with this combo if I keep the throttle low? I don't think heat measurement is very valid right now, as it is still very cold outside. Maybe I can get a reading at an indoor venue. What do you think? What are others using with good results and scale appearance?
skunkworks2006 is offline Find More Posts by skunkworks2006
Old Mar 12, 2008, 09:40 AM
Timelord
USA, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2002
2,412 Posts
[QUOTE=skunkworks2006]8x6 too much prop???
So anyone trying new props?

GWS 7x3.5 works great on the E-flite 250
Doctor Who is offline Find More Posts by Doctor Who
Old Mar 12, 2008, 09:46 AM
Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
2,712 Posts
Thanks, Doc.
I think I'll have to order that one. Nobody locally carries it. I don't know why. I imagine that the 7x3 looks more scale as well.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 09:53 AM
Timelord
USA, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2002
2,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkworks2006
Thanks, Doc.
I think I'll have to order that one. Nobody locally carries it. I don't know why. I imagine that the 7x3 looks more scale as well.
Here is how it looks on the Jenny. I used a brown sharpie on it. You can see more in my Jenny review here on RCGroups.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=jenny

I am currenty doing the review on the SE5A and will be using the same prop.
Doctor Who is offline Find More Posts by Doctor Who
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:59 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,386 Posts
I use an APC 7x4 on my Jenny--tried an 8x3.8 but it was too much for the O ring. The 7x4 flies it pretty good, so it should work on the SE-5. I hate these O ring mounts and much prefer a standard prop mount.
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:54 AM
Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
2,712 Posts
Hi Pat,
Yeah I used the APC 7x4 on the SE5 too, and it flew pretty well. However the O-ring came off in mid loop and I lost the prop and the o-ring (but landed the plane without a scratch!). I believe the APC is just too thick at the hub for the o-ring and prop saver to work well. The APC 6x4 that I used is a little smaller at the hub. I think the 7 inch prop looks pretty good, but so much of the surface of the APC is directly in front of the radiator. I was thinking that getting a GWS shaped prop would be more efficient. (shruggs shoulders)

BTW...thanks for the sharpie tip. I used it on all the props I've been using for the SE5a and it really makes it look nicer. That GWS orange thing just makes it look like a kids toy, not a grown man's toy
Old Mar 12, 2008, 12:00 PM
Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
2,712 Posts
So, is there much difference in GWS direct drive vs slow flyer for performance? The DD sure looks more scale.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 09:45 AM
Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
2,712 Posts
Cracked a wheel! I guess the cold weather and landing on pavement in 8 mph winds can do that, but I didn't think they'd be THAT fragile.
Has anyone else experienced this? What are you doing to replace them, just ordering new ones or is there something else that can be done?
Old Mar 14, 2008, 12:47 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Cracked a wheel! I guess the cold weather and landing on pavement in 8 mph winds can do that, but I didn't think they'd be THAT fragile.
Has anyone else experienced this? What are you doing to replace them, just ordering new ones or is there something else that can be done?
See post #85 of this thread!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Mar 14, 2008, 12:54 PM
Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
2,712 Posts
Thanks, Boomer.
Looks like I'll have to give that a try. Aren't the Dubro 2 1/2 much heavier? And have you noticed the extra weight?
Old Mar 14, 2008, 02:54 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, Boomer.
Looks like I'll have to give that a try. Aren't the Dubro 2 1/2 much heavier? And have you noticed the extra weight?
Light as a feather! No problem what so ever. The wheels are not DuBro but MPI from Maxx Products. I used a scrap plastic bearing piece cut from a DuBro Micro control rod sheath for tieing the parts together. Actually wing loading on the plane is very low anyway!
boomer
Last edited by boomerace; Mar 14, 2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 03:30 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
These might help!
boomer
Old Mar 14, 2008, 06:54 PM
Manila Ninoy Intl, Philippines
Joined Nov 2001
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm15141
Ah I knew it was too good to be true, Atomic Hobbies just refunded my payment and cancelled the order...Oh well

Quote:
Originally Posted by PfalzPflyer
Well, at least they were prompt with your refund. My experience with them was less favorable.

I "won" the auction for the parts, and immediately paid via PayPal. PayPal showed that they received payment that same day.

A week goes by. No parts. I'm about ready to call somebody and ask about it, when I get a refund notice from Paypal, and an e-mail from Atomic Hobbies saying that they never had the parts in the first place!

It gets better. The e-mail from Atomic says that, after refunding my payment, they've started an "unpaid transaction" complaint against me! But that they will generously agree to a "mutual transaction withdrawal" to settle the matter. (So they don't get charged by Ebay.)

I declined, of course. There was nothing "mutual" about this fiasco. They listed items for sale on Ebay thay never had, held my payment for a week, unfairly started an "unpaid transaction" complaint, and expected me to pretend that the transaction withdrawal was a "mutual" decision. At no time did they offer to make things "right". As far as I'm concerned, they s k!

I'll never buy anything from them ever, and would consider it foolish for anyone else who has read this to do so. Buyer beware of Atomic Hobbies!

Sorry to hear that.

My order for the 3 sets went through and I got a tracking number with DHL (who then shoved it into the USPS postal system ), showing they shipped from Fort Wayne (Atomic warehouse?).

I think I know what happened here.

Who ever is in charge of ebay sales at Atomic put US$1.00 as "place holder" prices, forgot to calculate the actual selling prices and hit the submit button which listed the items on ebay.

Atomic probably didn't have the 5 sets in their warehouse. They just had the 3 sets I ordered, so then they had to order from Horizon with the dealer drop ship system they have, and Horizon's below MAP price warning lights went off. Which probably got them a warning from Horizon.

It was a $75+ x 5 mistake. But they should have eaten it. You offer items on ebay, some one buys them, you should honor your deal.

I just checked on ebay again and Atomic now have the following prices posted for the parts:

Cowling $4.79
Landing gear $6.39
Tail set $9.59
Fuselage $30.39
Wing set $35.19

Which is crazy since Horizon's prices on Amazon are lower. Duh, bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

I'll post again once I actually receive the parts (which will be a while, since my shipper is sending them by sea). Who knows, I might get a package with a US$15 voucher and no parts......
deadduck is online now Find More Posts by deadduck
Last edited by deadduck; Mar 14, 2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 10:23 AM
Omaha, Nebraska USA
Joined Dec 2003
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadduck
Sorry to hear that.

My order for the 3 sets went through and I got a tracking number with DHL (who then shoved it into the USPS postal system ), showing they shipped from Fort Wayne (Atomic warehouse?).

It was a $75+ x 5 mistake. But they should have eaten it. You offer items on ebay, some one buys them, you should honor your deal.

I just checked on ebay again and Atomic now have the following prices posted for the parts:

Cowling $4.79
Landing gear $6.39
Tail set $9.59
Fuselage $30.39
Wing set $35.19
So in other words, Atomic Hobbies actually does have the parts, they just refuse to honor the Ebay auction that I won?!! Those scum-licking ba rds!!

OK, time to contact Ebay...

Dean in Omaha
PfalzPflyer is offline Find More Posts by PfalzPflyer