to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2008, 11:46 PM
Omaha, Nebraska USA
Joined Dec 2003
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarawnty
Hi Dean,
The main pushrod is 0.039" in diameter. The shorter pushrods are 0.032" music wire.
Regards,
Steve
Thanks, Steve.
PfalzPflyer is offline Find More Posts by PfalzPflyer
Old Jan 20, 2008, 11:49 PM
Omaha, Nebraska USA
Joined Dec 2003
277 Posts
Greg,

Hey, that's looking good! We'll have to get together sometime and fly them together.

Dean
Old Jan 22, 2008, 08:22 AM
Reserved Parking
Joined Jun 2004
926 Posts
Thats interesting, since I painted the nose of mine the same colour blue. Not quite as fancy a pattern though!
P-51C is offline Find More Posts by P-51C
Old Jan 22, 2008, 05:36 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
Well I chose the blue because I have a profile in a WWI aircraft with a similar paint job and because Great Planes chose red for theirs in case I get one of them too.
Greg D is offline Find More Posts by Greg D
Old Feb 09, 2008, 09:16 PM
Procrashtinating Builder
about 12" from my computer in Jacksonville Fl.
Joined May 2004
1,292 Posts
A buddy of mine turned me on to this thread when I told him I had just bought the E-flite kit. Y'all have some nice planes here and some good information. I guess I have alot of catching up to do!

The only thing that turns me off of the kit, which looks like a killer ARF, is that E-flite designed the paint job around a home built SE-5a copy. I went on to Airliners.net to check out some SE-5's so I could see how to improve the kit's looks and found these pictures of the home built.

It's a nice ARF, don't get me wrong, but I wish there was som authenticity to the finishing.

Looking towards the build, and y'all's suggestions......
mastrsn is offline Find More Posts by mastrsn
Old Feb 09, 2008, 09:34 PM
WHAT THE...
Evansville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,576 Posts
It's a pretty good reproduction of the original...I thinks it's 2/3 scale? The wing struts and landing gear (for the later versions) appear to have the correct shape. The engine is obviously wrong, but they did manage to replicate the valve cover correctly...for the Hispano-Suiza engine.
barmonkey is offline Find More Posts by barmonkey
Old Feb 09, 2008, 09:39 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Well I'm turning my second kit of the 3 kits I have into a way overpowered non dihedral SE5a with ailerons! Weather sucks so something to do.
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Feb 09, 2008, 10:05 PM
WHAT THE...
Evansville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,576 Posts
I have already subscribed to your build boomer. I can't wait to see how your Hot Rod turns out!
barmonkey is offline Find More Posts by barmonkey
Old Feb 10, 2008, 09:37 AM
Procrashtinating Builder
Joined May 2004
1,292 Posts
I know the info is probably here, but I haven't found it yet...

How did y'all extend the exhaust to the correct length and has anyone found a matching paint to fix the engine/ exhaust manifold mold. There should be an Olive Drab color close enough to fix the Black moulding.....

Also, I want to use a 4 bladed prop, which was common on S.E.5's. Anyone got an Idea where I can get, or make one?
Old Feb 10, 2008, 12:12 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrsn

How did y'all extend the exhaust to the correct length and has anyone found a matching paint to fix the engine/ exhaust manifold mold. There should be an Olive Drab color close enough to fix the Black moulding.....

Also, I want to use a 4 bladed prop, which was common on S.E.5's. Anyone got an Idea where I can get, or make one?
I spent a lot of time trying to find a matching paint and couldn't! So.... I mixed up some Testers and was able to get close but not an exact match. Not to much of a problem for scale because in the WW1 era the purchased paints never matched from one can to the next anyway so all paints other than black ended up looking blotchy. Extended exhaust with carbon rod.
boomer
Old Feb 10, 2008, 12:38 PM
Procrashtinating Builder
Joined May 2004
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerace
I spent a lot of time trying to find a matching paint and couldn't! So.... I mixed up some Testers and was able to get close but not an exact match. Not to much of a problem for scale because in the WW1 era the purchased paints never matched from one can to the next anyway so all paints other than black ended up looking blotchy. Extended exhaust with carbon rod.
boomer
Thanks, Boomer- I am working on the S.E.5 while my 'better half' paints the crosses on Mega Stick. One more flight to get the bugs out next Saturday, then it's off to Deland for the 'Winter Festival of Giants' for it. Then in mothballs until SEFF in May. I would fly it more than that but your odds decrease the number of times you fly it, if you know what I mean!

Watching you S.E.5 thread as well........
Old Feb 10, 2008, 02:47 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
This illustrates the problem in matching the paint. I added 1/64th plywood reinforcing at center of top wing on the Wild SE5a to prevent screws from tearing the foam with the additional power. The paint to the eye is an exact match however it is glossier than the original paint. Sanding lightly with 600 wet and dry helps knock down the gloss but it still isn't a good match. Thankfully it looks much better to the naked eye than to the camera!
boomer
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:36 PM
Omaha, Nebraska USA
Joined Dec 2003
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrsn

For the exhausts, most of us have used drinking straws cut to length and painted black. It's lightweight, works well, and best of all it's cheap.

The closest color match I've found is Tamiya Color acrylic paint XF-13 (J. A. Green), which is foam safe. From what I can tell, it's a perfect match and probably what was used to paint it originally. Otherwise, it's a real weird color to try to match well.

The 4-bladed props were used on the SE5a version with the geared 200hp Hispano-Suiza. The front radiator grill and front cowl shape on the kit is more like a Wolsely Viper-powered model, which was direct drive and reverted to the 2-blade prop. So a 4-bladed prop isn't needed.

Best regards,
Dean in Omaha, a.k.a. "PfalzPflyer"
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:43 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Dean,
Wish I had known about the paint sooner would have saved me a headache trying to match!. Thanks for the iinfo Just ordered a bunch!
boomer