HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2008, 08:52 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
You can usually find small black rubber bands in the hair accessory section of Walgreens etc.
Greg D is offline Find More Posts by Greg D
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:29 PM
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Sep 2007
89 Posts
Really Looks Slick on Skis

George,

Your plane looks great with the snow gear. That has to be a blast flying off the snow on skis! But I also want to know how your batteries hold up in the cold.

J3flyah
J3flyah is offline Find More Posts by J3flyah
Old Jan 13, 2008, 06:26 AM
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Joined Dec 2003
86 Posts
Se5a

Hi,
I made several modifications to my SE5A, but by far, the most significant improvement was the addition of ailerons. I've only flown mine indoors so my flying space is confined. I first flew the SE5A without ailerons (rudder only) and while it was Ok, control and flight speed weren't what I was hoping for. I then added ailerons to just the bottom wing. With ailerons on the bottom wing I was able to flatten the plane in turns with opposite aileron. This allowed the plane to slow right down and was a real joy to fly. But control was still a little mushy so I then added ailerons to the top wing also. Now the SE5A has much better control. I've attached a few pictures of my set up. Sorry for the poor picture quality.
Regards,
Steve
sarawnty is offline Find More Posts by sarawnty
Last edited by sarawnty; Jan 13, 2008 at 06:36 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 06:27 AM
Joined Dec 2003
86 Posts
Se5a

The long push rod is carbon fiber. I used Kevlar for the wing and fin bracing. A few more pictures. Steve
Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:59 AM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
That's pretty cool! So have you tried a roll with it then?
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:33 PM
Joined Dec 2003
86 Posts
SE5a

Haven't tried rolling. In fact haven't even looped it yet. Steve
Old Jan 14, 2008, 09:48 AM
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Sep 2007
89 Posts
Canadian SE5a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarawnty
Haven't tried rolling. In fact haven't even looped it yet. Steve
Hey! I like it! It will be interesting to read more flight reports, including the rolls you might do. Be cautious with the loops in that you need to have the thread, used for flying wires, secured taut. That really makes a difference with stressing your wings or not.

What is the total weight of your SE5a with the add-ons?
J3flyah is offline Find More Posts by J3flyah
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:45 AM
Reserved Parking
Joined Jun 2004
926 Posts
Well, I picked one of these up this weekend. I started modding it a bit by painting the nose.

I am trying to decide on a motor, and starting thinking about one of the little screamers.

Having no experience with the little screamer though, does this seem like a decent choice for this airframe? (keeping in mind mine will probably end up a bit on the heavy side)
P-51C is offline Find More Posts by P-51C
Old Jan 14, 2008, 02:00 PM
Happy fly begin
Joined Aug 2004
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-51C
Well, I picked one of these up this weekend. I started modding it a bit by painting the nose.

I am trying to decide on a motor, and starting thinking about one of the little screamers.

Having no experience with the little screamer though, does this seem like a decent choice for this airframe? (keeping in mind mine will probably end up a bit on the heavy side)
I use the 24 gram outruner from http://www.ncweb.com/biz/dan/Motors.html
and with the firewall mount it bolts right onto the front of the existing motor mount without any modifications.
JimH is offline Find More Posts by JimH
Old Jan 14, 2008, 07:10 PM
Joined Dec 2003
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J3flyah
Hey! I like it! It will be interesting to read more flight reports, including the rolls you might do. Be cautious with the loops in that you need to have the thread, used for flying wires, secured taut. That really makes a difference with stressing your wings or not.

What is the total weight of your SE5a with the add-ons?

Thanks! I weighed my SE5a with a 2-cell TP 730 mah battery. It weighs 8.7 ounces with the aileron set up. Steve
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:54 PM
Omaha, Nebraska USA
Joined Dec 2003
277 Posts
Steve,

What diameter is the carbon rod you used for the main aileron pushrod? I'm thinking of doing that mod to a SIG Bristol Scout that I have converted to brushless power.

Best regards,
Dean Dingman, Event Director
Western Front Dawn Patrol 2008
(a.k.a. "PfalzPflyer, a.k.a "Dean in Omaha")
PfalzPflyer is offline Find More Posts by PfalzPflyer
Old Jan 19, 2008, 05:51 AM
Joined Dec 2003
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfalzPflyer
Steve,

What diameter is the carbon rod you used for the main aileron pushrod? I'm thinking of doing that mod to a SIG Bristol Scout that I have converted to brushless power.

Best regards,
Dean Dingman, Event Director
Western Front Dawn Patrol 2008
(a.k.a. "PfalzPflyer, a.k.a "Dean in Omaha")
Hi Dean,
The main pushrod is 0.039" in diameter. The shorter pushrods are 0.032" music wire.
Regards,
Steve
Old Jan 20, 2008, 01:37 AM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
Well I finally finished assembling my SE5 today except for the rigging. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. I was going to take a few more during construction but it so well by the book it would have simply been redundant.
One note, when attaching the interplane struts I used masking tape with paper on it (so the tape wouldn't pull up the paint) to hold the model (without the landing gear installed) down on the table. I slid braces (I used upside down saucers) under the bottom wing to keep them from moving while I put in the struts and to make sure the struts being glued in place didn't change the dihedral.
Last edited by Greg D; Jan 20, 2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 12:19 PM
Crash Test Pilot
Erie, PA
Joined Dec 2003
38 Posts
I wish the wind would die down so I could fly. I'm trying to get the speed slower and slower but with the winds around here I keep it a couple clicks above half.
daddysblazer is offline Find More Posts by daddysblazer
Old Jan 20, 2008, 05:06 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
Rigging installed. I have to put a piece of velcro on it to hold the battery in place, I am thinking of CAing a piece of .020 plastic to the motor mount box so the adhesive on the velcro has a flat smooth area to grip. Not sure I like the black rigging thread may get something heavier in gray and redo it. I'll probably paint the prop.

John, if your still checking this thread. Great job on the proportions of this one too, it "looks right" which isn't always the case with sport/fun scale models!

Anyway here's some pics, not sure why the color is "off".
Last edited by Greg D; Jan 20, 2008 at 05:13 PM.