Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 06, 2007, 11:08 AM
Suspended Account
Chicago, IL
Joined Aug 2006
604 Posts
Discussion
H-9 Spit or Hobby People BH 91 Spit ???

I already have a Hacker A60-20s that I plan on putting in a Spit.

My question is, which of these two planes should I put it in?

I have researched both planes extensively, and now only need your valued opinios before I pull the trigger.

Please post which one of these two planes you would purchase ................. and your reasoning as to why.

Thanks
Jim
Jim K. is offline Find More Posts by Jim K.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2007, 06:35 PM
Suspended Account
Chicago, IL
Joined Aug 2006
604 Posts
7 hours and no replies?
Old Dec 06, 2007, 06:38 PM
Progress not Perfection
Palmdale, Ca.
Joined Dec 2005
438 Posts
Jim, I know the hanger 9 spit, but I don't understand your shorthand "BH"? It makes comparison impossible.
wilscor41 is offline Find More Posts by wilscor41
Old Dec 06, 2007, 08:36 PM
Suspended Account
Chicago, IL
Joined Aug 2006
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilscor41
Jim, I know the hanger 9 spit, but I don't understand your shorthand "BH"? It makes comparison impossible.
Sorry .... I thought that because of the threads for both plane on this site, that guys would know by the title. (I haven't heard of them either til last week).

Here's a google. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...H+91+Spitfire+
Old Dec 07, 2007, 10:21 AM
Stay Thirsty My Friends
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2005
2,300 Posts
Hp Spit

Jim K'
I have been flying the H9 spit for a couple of months now. I use the Hacker A50-14L on an 8cell Thunder power extreme set-up. It is quite fast with the APC 15.75x13 3-bladed prop. All up weight about 12 pounds.

The gear that came with the kit could not take the weight I guess, because they were always bending. I switched to Robart air up/spring down gear with VQ warbirds oleo struts. I will take a picture and post it later.

swarick
Sunny AZ
swarick is online now Find More Posts by swarick
Old Dec 07, 2007, 04:30 PM
Timelord
USA, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2002
2,411 Posts
The BH Models Spit is currently being reviewed for RCGroups and should be posted in the near future.

I just got the BH P-47 and the quality is very nice.
Doctor Who is online now Find More Posts by Doctor Who
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2007, 10:30 PM
Suspended Account
Chicago, IL
Joined Aug 2006
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who
The BH Models Spit is currently being reviewed for RCGroups and should be posted in the near future.

I just got the BH P-47 and the quality is very nice.
I should prolly get one now then, (while I still can).

I know that the Black Horse Spit is bigger, and wonder if the bigger Hacker A60-20s would be better suited for the bigger plane, (without being weak).

Anyone seen one of these BP Spit in person?
Old Dec 08, 2007, 08:35 AM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,491 Posts
I fly a BH models Spitfire. Other than the landing gear retracting in the wrong direction, it is a nice flying model.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724762

I also fly a Hangar 9 Mustang, which I also really like. The BH Models Spitfire is bigger than the Hangar 9 version.

Another RC Groups member also built and flew one.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=731569

Read these threads; they may help you decide.
Michael in Toronto is online now Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
Old Dec 08, 2007, 05:15 PM
Suspended Account
Chicago, IL
Joined Aug 2006
604 Posts
I have already read both those threads.

That's what got me interested in the BH plane in the first place.

My QUESTION is how will the Hacker A60-20s behave in each plane, and which one would fly best with that motor?

Jim
Old Dec 08, 2007, 09:45 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K.
My QUESTION is how will the Hacker A60-20s behave in each plane, and which one would fly best with that motor?

Jim
Esprit Models generally recommends the A50 series Hacker motors (which run on 6 series lipos) for the Hangar 9 .60-size warbirds.
http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=5437

I think your A60 needs more lipos, probably 8 to 10 (please double check this on your own).
http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=4418
My BH models Spitfire (.90-size) is powered (maybe overpowered) by 9 lipos, but the plane is big and can easily handle the extra weight of more batteries.
Old Dec 08, 2007, 09:51 PM
Suspended Account
Chicago, IL
Joined Aug 2006
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in Toronto
Esprit Models generally recommends the A50 series Hacker motors (which run on 6 series lipos) for the Hangar 9 .60-size warbirds.
http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=5437

I think your A60 needs more lipos, probably 8 to 10 (please double check this on your own).
http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=4418
My BH models Spitfire (.90-size) is powered (maybe overpowered) by 9 lipos, but the plane is big and can easily handle the extra weight of more batteries.

I'll be running 10s lipo, and 12s A123.

I will be getting the BH Spit, (after seeing your climbout on the e-flight 160 - the Hacker I have will rock).

btw - that was one heck of a job you did with yours Michael. I was very impressed.

Jim
Old Dec 09, 2007, 07:10 AM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K.
I'll be running 10s lipo, and 12s A123.

I will be getting the BH Spit, (after seeing your climbout on the e-flight 160 - the Hacker I have will rock).

btw - that was one heck of a job you did with yours Michael. I was very impressed.

Jim
Thanks.

It's an E-Flite 110. Your Hacker motor on 10s will be "more than adequate".
Old Dec 10, 2007, 09:12 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,357 Posts
Hi Jim:
Michael and Al along with several of my fellow reviewers caused me to go with the BH Spitfire. It is a very nice kit. Retracts go the wrong way but most of my friends won't notice and I don't care. Since you read Al's thread and saw Michael's video I don't have much to add except I have a lot of respect for Michael's work as I have seen it posted in the past and you can't beat Al's spirit. I am installing a sound system in mine as you might have quessed. I am taking my time. Review should be up in mid-January if weather cooperates. Best of luck to you with yours. Mike H.
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
Old Dec 10, 2007, 09:27 PM
Suspended Account
Chicago, IL
Joined Aug 2006
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heer
Hi Jim:
Michael and Al along with several of my fellow reviewers caused me to go with the BH Spitfire. It is a very nice kit. Retracts go the wrong way but most of my friends won't notice and I don't care. Since you read Al's thread and saw Michael's video I don't have much to add except I have a lot of respect for Michael's work as I have seen it posted in the past and you can't beat Al's spirit. I am installing a sound system in mine as you might have quessed. I am taking my time. Review should be up in mid-January if weather cooperates. Best of luck to you with yours. Mike H.
How ironic Mike .......... (This plane will be much better/bigger!).

It is clear how valuable a resource RCG is.

It is so much easier to make a decision when you have others willing to share their experiences ... good or bad.

I think we are both going to love this plane.

You wanna compare notes during the build? ........ shoot me a note Maybe I will do a build thread incorporating what I have learned from others such as Toronto Mike.

Jim