HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2008, 09:53 PM
Los Angeles Van Nuys, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Yeh, Matt...
the 4100kV Feigao on 2 cells with 3x3 prop is a really fantastic combo.
This is what I am using flying Funcraft Acrobipe - with 2 cell 730 TP it flies about 30 min. This is a heavy set up for little 16"bipe but it handles any reasonable wind conditions which is not bad for such a small model.
Yeh, I think that it will be a way to go...use 3x3 prop pusher and check how it goes.
I will keep you posted!
Janusz
Janusz Jawien is offline Find More Posts by Janusz Jawien
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2008, 04:07 AM
From Earth to the Moon!
Sacramento, Ca.
Joined Jul 2003
1,518 Posts
She Flies! Wow!

Well I actually got her built and after a week of windy weather she got to fly today. Tell ya, I was shakin in my boots! I have built a few planes from plans - mostly Steve's pusher jets... however this is my 2nd EDF (the first one was a disaster - another story...). I had my buddy throw her for me and she was REALLY a handful at first... after I got her trimmed I found her to be a blast to fly!
I hope to have my HD Video up in the next day or two for folks to see.
I ended up using reduced throws - the standard throws were too "responsive." Even after I toned down the rates I found that she turns on a dime - you can really just about reverse direction in mid flight!
I used pretty much everything in Matt suggested except for different servos (but the same 5 gram weight). In the end, I ended up AUW at 6oz - I guess a bit heavy.
I'm including some build pictures in the hopes that it may help someone else build theirs. I really liked the documentation but I REALLY needed more pictures, I guess I'm just dense! (no offense Matt) I found the nose section quite baffling, and the curves in places needed to be modified to fit for me.
Thankfully Matt was very kind to help me through the process, and I'm really excited about this new plane.
I now am going to finish painting her and will post those pictures when I'm done as well.
THANKS MATT! This is a WONDERFUL jet!!!

Joe
albireo is offline Find More Posts by albireo
Old Mar 23, 2008, 03:45 PM
Supersonic hover
Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
1,043 Posts
Congratulations Joe! I hope you have a lot of enjoyable flights with it. One of these days I will add some more photos to the plans to make them more clear.

-Matt
Esprit440 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit440
Old Mar 24, 2008, 06:10 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2002
210 Posts
Congrats Joe,

I also have started to build this one, JOE do not feel you are alone I too had to have a head scratch thru' this build. I am finding that to get the nose on to the main body will require some magor surgery to fit. I am releived someone else had problems. Will keep you informed how I go.

Matt you must be very clever to come up with this design truly awesome, it must have taken ages of trail and error to get to this level of detail and scale looks...well done.

If my first go with this jet fails I will defiantely build another, it looks that good. I have a nano mirage which I have been flying now for 2 years and it has probably been my best jet for thrills and fun and low cost. I even fly indoors with it although all I can manage is continuous circles but still is a rush .

David
hammo6 is offline Find More Posts by hammo6
Old Mar 24, 2008, 08:12 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
I am still struggling to make this design to fly. Whole problem is with propulsion. I just wanted to use the parts I have on hand.
I used GWS 50DF with Losi and 3 clles getting about 37W what gave me couple of hundreds feet of terribly underpowr flight. Next I set up the DF50
with Feigao 4100kV getiing 45W on 520 3 cell Tanic batery. Due to heavier AWU (5oz) the results were basically the same. I will have to give up and order higher kV Feigao. I really like Matt's design and the only thing I changed was addition of 2 carbon stringers going paralel to pushrods and making mounting DF more sturdy. I used 1mm Depron for top piece- it made to forming job much easier. I used hot glue all around and i covered the front fuse piece with Zagi tape that kade it stronger for not so perfect landing.
All the flights so far show that this plane with proper propulsion will be blast to fly. I will keep you posted.
Janusz
Old Mar 24, 2008, 05:46 PM
Kat Builder
Bellflower, Calif.
Joined Apr 2004
712 Posts
Hi Janusz...

Your low Kv Feigao may/will operate on 4s. I have used their "short can" (about the same Kv) on 4s for a couple of years now (in a GWS 30mm, so less load), and it never really got warm.

Since you already have that set up, give it a try (short flight), and see if it is not too warm.

Bob Reynolds
. "ComeUpHere"
Bobber Bob is offline Find More Posts by Bobber Bob
Old Mar 24, 2008, 06:15 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Thank you Bob for the suggestion. It sounds about right...he...he...
It is such a fun project! I only hope to find more time for it!
I am little bit suspicious that the batery gives me the limits here... hefta play with my Wattmeter a little bit more...
I will keep you posted.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 07:33 PM
Supersonic hover
Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
1,043 Posts
Hey guys it's really nice to see the models coming together! Sorry if the plans are a little confusing but I am assuming you can all read my mind.

If there are ANY questions don't hesitate to PM me and I will try to help out as best I can!

-Matt
Old Mar 25, 2008, 12:10 PM
From Earth to the Moon!
Sacramento, Ca.
Joined Jul 2003
1,518 Posts
Maiden Video ready!

It's great to see other people getting going on this little jet.
David - thanks for the encouragement, it's helps me to know I've not completely lost my mind. Can't wait to see yours! Make sure to post pics.
Janusz - watch out for that GWS 50mm fan. I had about 5 of them and CONSTANTLY had trouble with the impellers ejecting in flight. I've tried every trick in the book to get them to stay on... You'd sure NOT want that to happen with this bird - not much of a glide ratio!
I have video for anyone interested... it's a 30mg download (it's HD video) so do so at your own risk! My fellow pilot and video buddy George filmed it for me but I still need to do the editing for those that don't want a large download. So - this is the "director's cut" and isn't spiffed up for high excitement yet. But at least you can see how she flew for me.
I'll try to get something short and sweet up this week for those who don't want the speical "extended" version.
I am also willing to answer any questions about the build if I can. Anything I can do to try to help Matt out!
Video link: http://www.wagnerg.com/hobbies/temp/NanoF22Raptor.wmv

Joe
albireo is offline Find More Posts by albireo
Old Mar 25, 2008, 01:58 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Great flight and nice video, Joe!!!
Thanks for heads up about the flying impellers. I will keep it in mind.
Joe,
What is your powerplant... please give a detail regarding the fan, motor and the batery...lI wish to have so much power in mine!!
Cheers,
Janusz
Old Mar 25, 2008, 07:40 PM
Supersonic hover
Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
1,043 Posts
I enjoyed watching that video Joe - it reminded me of my maiden flight. Hope you had fun!

I'd be curious to know your CG, throws, etc. when you get it dialed in.

Now, time for some power loops!

-Matt
Old Mar 29, 2008, 01:19 PM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,521 Posts
Esprit440,
I'm planning to build an F-22 from your plans, but with a brushless EDF50. Do you think I should upscale the plans at all?
Rocketman1092 is online now Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old Apr 03, 2008, 06:51 PM
Supersonic hover
Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
1,043 Posts
Hi Rocketman, sorry to keep you waiting! The EDF-50 should fit without scaling up the plans, although you will need to modify the fan cutouts. If you scale up the plans there will be a lot of little mismatches due to the original 3mm material thickness.

Janusz is also working on an EDF-50 version (post 65) so you can get some good ideas from him. Good luck!

-Matt
Old Apr 05, 2008, 09:09 AM
Fairborn, OH
Joined May 2004
294 Posts
Hi Matt, just visited your thread for the first time in a while. Very nice job. I enjoyed your video. I also copied your instructions to use as a template if i ever prepare instructions for something. The design is clean and it flys great.
Roy
RoyEOetting is offline Find More Posts by RoyEOetting
Old Jun 18, 2008, 01:00 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,355 Posts
Matthew, (posting here what I wrote in the other thread)...

The plan and the assembly guide are perfect! Ive already downloaded the pdfs. You really are a good person sharing this with everyone!

I loved also the NitroCharged's EDF-30 BAE Hawk, seems hes working hard in his plans, but theres more then a year since the begining of the thread and he didnt said if he will share it for free or will sale it (no problem if sale only the plans, the point is that I really enjoy cutting the templates in the depron and build my planes at home), so I would like to build an EDF plane wright now... hope you understand me..

This will be my firts jet Matt, so I thought using a EDF30 it would be easier to pilot this bird, beeing smaller, cheaper (eletronics), lighter and flying slower than the original project using an EDF40, am I correct? If Im correct, do you think it will be difficult to make this change (edf30), it could be only scaling down your plan?

Thank you so much and hope we can be good friends, me building in your project... can you help me ?

Best regards,
Luis
Luis_Claudio is online now Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio