SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 05, 2007, 11:17 PM
Supersonic hover
Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
1,043 Posts
Discussion
Micro EDF Contest: F-22 Raptor with thrust vectoring for EDF-40 - plans in post #1

Here's my entry in the 40mm class, an F-22 Raptor with thrust vectoring. Still working out the details but here are the preliminary specs:

Depron & carbon rod construction, WS 12.7", 66 sq in, flying weight 4.8oz, EDF-40 with 5800kV Feigao or CustomCDR outrunner, CC Phoenix 10, TP 3S 730 and a partridge in a pear tree.

I'm aiming for a spirited flyer that is very agile over a wide speed range. Shapes are simplified quite a bit but hopefully capture the feel of the real thing.

EDIT:

Flight video 2

Model was flown successfully on January 27th 2008. It is a lot of fun to fly since pitch control is fantastic with the thrust vectoring paddles.

Final specs:

WS: 15"
AUW: 4.8oz
Wing area: 98 sq.in
Wing loading: 7.1 oz/sq.ft
Fan: GWS EDF-40
Motor: Feigao 25T 5800kV
ESC: Castle Creations Phoenix 10
Battery: 3S TP 730
Receiver: Berg 4L
Servos: 2x Blue Bird BMS-303

-Matt
Esprit440 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit440
Last edited by Esprit440; Jul 29, 2010 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Updated with tiled & untiled plans
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2007, 12:46 PM
Micro EDF addict
Upstate NY
Joined Jun 2007
4,782 Posts
looks awesome! nice renderings... did you start the build already?
metroidrc is offline Find More Posts by metroidrc
Old Dec 06, 2007, 01:04 PM
Cumulus Altimus
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,456 Posts
real nice,im signed in.
ben
FASTBEN is offline Find More Posts by FASTBEN
Old Dec 07, 2007, 09:58 AM
Held by Grace
Upstate New York
Joined Apr 2006
273 Posts
F-22

Very nice Matt,all the raptor's I have seen fly have been excellent in the air !

ThankYou for the advice on my build,I might have forgotten to put some color on it,and right now here in Rochester white would be really bad in the air .
Mike
BDOG1 is offline Find More Posts by BDOG1
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:25 PM
Supersonic hover
Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
1,043 Posts
Well I have been pecking away at this project and got some test parts ready to print & cut tonight. It looks about the same as it did in the pics above, but pretty much everything has been tweaked - I have a new appreciation for the complex shape of the F-22!

-Matt
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:32 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,256 Posts
Esprit440-
Nice job man! And GENIUS on that TV system!
Its simple, yet should prove to be effective!
Good luck,
Vic.
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:39 PM
Supersonic hover
Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
1,043 Posts
Thanks Vic - I always wanted to try thrust vectoring but never got around to it. This is the one!

I had originally planned to make the paddles clear plastic but it will probably be simpler and lighter to just do them in foam and paint them a contrasting color.

We'll see what it can do - spinning tail slide? New ways to wreck? Stay tuned!

-Matt
Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:13 AM
United States, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,630 Posts
Which cad program are you using? i am using rhino and when i try to unroll my shapes, it always says that it is too complex to unroll?
ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit440
Well I have been pecking away at this project and got some test parts ready to print & cut tonight. It looks about the same as it did in the pics above, but pretty much everything has been tweaked - I have a new appreciation for the complex shape of the F-22!

-Matt
Ryan Archer is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Archer
Old Dec 17, 2007, 11:13 AM
flotation device
Colorado Springs
Joined Jan 2006
80 Posts
Ryan,

Try building with developable surfaces. These surfaces can build up 3D shapes from flat stock - exactly what you are trying to do. There is a Rhino plugin available with these surfacing tools:

http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.as...el/DevSrf.html

Good luck

Chris
doctorgonzo is offline Find More Posts by doctorgonzo
Old Dec 17, 2007, 11:17 AM
Micro EDF addict
Upstate NY
Joined Jun 2007
4,782 Posts
is there anything like this for 3ds max?
metroidrc is offline Find More Posts by metroidrc
Old Dec 17, 2007, 08:17 PM
Supersonic hover
Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
1,043 Posts
Ryan - I'm using Rhino with the Flamingo rendering plugin. There is a good explanation of unrolling developable surfaces in the Help menu, look in Surfaces and Solids - Surfaces - Unroll (flatten) developable surface.

In a nutshell you can only unroll things that you could make with a piece of paper without stretching, wrinkling, or tearing it. Rail curves must be straight and lofted surfaces can use only two curves. There is a little leeway built into the unroll function but you can't count on it.

I made a couple of pictures that show how I converted the forward fuselage on my F-22 to developable surfaces, hope they are helpful.

-Matt
Old Dec 18, 2007, 10:46 AM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,492 Posts
That looks splendid, Matt.

I do all the 'developing' of curved shapes into flat card templates for my models - with a pencil...

Less than 5 ounces ? WOW !
Good luck,

Keven.
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64
Old Dec 18, 2007, 05:26 PM
Fairborn, OH
Joined May 2004
294 Posts
Matt I like the way you define your surfaces. I can't wait to get my other computer back from the shop so I can relearn Rhino, but I'm limited to 1.1. I never tried my flattening software on 3D poly-lines in Autocad but I think I can do it. That would give be a lot more options to getting nice curves with flat sheet. I was planning on construction the nose (front half) of my entry (MiGlet) with segments and now I can rethink it and see if I can't find a better way to cut it up.
Roy
RoyEOetting is offline Find More Posts by RoyEOetting
Old Dec 18, 2007, 06:52 PM
Supersonic hover
Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
1,043 Posts
Hey Keven, nice to see you posting in here. Got any EDF projects going? I'm getting really spoiled using Rhino, it's been a long time since I had to do anything with a pencil.

Roy, I'm sure you'll find a technique that works. Don't get too hung up on making everything perfect on the tube since you can adjust things by hand later. Foam is especially good for that!

I'm afraid I won't get much done on the F-22 tonight since there is a new episode of Nova on tonight about Korean War jet battles, then something called "Ice Pilots" - something I can relate to.

-Matt
Old Dec 18, 2007, 10:18 PM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,492 Posts
'ello Matt,

I am considering the making of a couple of small models for the contest - but first I am building a 12" long R/C model yacht kit... for a future review in the AMYA's 'Model Yachting' magazine !

I have quite a few ideas for small foamy EDF's, but cannot make my mind up which I should go with.
One is an F-22 for twin EDF's - it seems that some types are ever very popular...

Also, I am still in love with the BAe146, and have been drawing a smaller one than I made before.
It would be 4 x EDF40/Feigao5800-powered... and would be made this time from depron. I have got used to modelling with that now - I even cold-moulded a model yacht with some...

With a BAe146, however, I am committing all my brushless fans to just one model. Perhaps I should get a few more of them...!

Keven.
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64