HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2001, 08:41 PM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
Some Zagi flying questions

So I finished my Zagi 400X up. I've been out flying it a couple of times now, and it seems to be very touchy on the controls. When I head into a turn, it wants to head straight for the ground. Am I attempting to turn it in to tight? Is this what's known as tip stalling?

My flying experience is limited to slow flying type aircraft so far. I have shortened up the throws a bunch, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Could this have been part of my control problem?

Any other Zagi flying tips would be appreciated. Thank you--Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2001, 08:54 PM
Joined May 2000
2,023 Posts
Slowflyer,

I had the same problem when transitioning from R/E slowflyers to the zagi, go to a field with a lot of space (3-4 football fields square), get the plane up high and keep the power on in the turns! They're more like a sport plane and like speed in the turns, you can't float em around until you get used to where they'll tip stall. Nice thing is, once you get used to this plane, you'll be able to fly a lot of other planes no problem. The thing I remembered most when learning to fly these is you can back off on power in a straight line, but when you turn keep the power on, feed in a little up and remember to straighten out the wing and you should be on your way. Don't be afraid of opening up the throttle, they like the speed.

Have Fun.

RICH S is offline Find More Posts by RICH S
Old May 12, 2001, 08:55 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,432 Posts
Dear Rob:
I will assume that you have the plane C/G where Jerry suggests on the instructions. If not go back and correct as failure to do that can create all sorts of problems. With that behind us the Zagi even when properly balanced can create problems when you try to turn to sharply and it can go into a spin. To determine if that was your problem simply fly at a good size field and make large slow turns. It is normal to start a turn by moving the stick towards the direction of your turn, right for a right turn, etc. After the turn is started you can ease off the direction and pull the stick back for just a little up elevator and the plane will not drop the wing in the direction it is turning very much. If it is turning fine on wide turns your plane is probably set up correctly but you were turning to sharp. Good flying. Mike
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2001, 09:01 PM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
I set up the CG per the instructions EXACTLY. Is there a better place to set it?---Rob
Old May 12, 2001, 10:41 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Apr 2001
124 Posts
slowflyer, the Zagi should balance 8 inches behind the nose exactly.
Too much elevon throw will cause the tip or the entire wing to stall in a turn.
Set the throws for 3/8 inch up and down 1 inch from the end of the elevon and it should fly great and turn fast.
We flew them inside golf domes all winter.

Quirky
CaptQuirk is offline Find More Posts by CaptQuirk
Old May 13, 2001, 01:21 AM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
Yep, I had wayyyy too much throw dialed in. It should fly better now. The balance is perfect. Thanks guys---Rob
Old May 13, 2001, 01:39 AM
heli on the brain
Apple Valley/Victorville, Ca
Joined Apr 2001
544 Posts
...just remember to keep it "flat" in the first few turns before gaining enough airspeed and altitude to start banking and cranking. Once up to speed, she'll go right where you tell her to and loves to go fast indeed.

DeZ
dezflyer is offline Find More Posts by dezflyer
Old May 13, 2001, 09:23 PM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
It flew FANTASTIC with the new throw settings!! It's nice to have a plane that will handle some wind.

The Zagi esc fried on the second flight, for no apparent reason. I will contact Trick about this. Otherwise an excellant plane---rob
Old May 14, 2001, 12:47 AM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,494 Posts
I have exactly one 16 minute flight on my ZAGI X. I balanced it per instructions but I will increase the reflex angle slightly.

Flies well, handles turns without stalling. I haven't pushed it beyond half throttle yet so I don't know what it will do at high speed.

So far it hasn't shown any bad tendencies.
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old May 14, 2001, 07:25 AM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,494 Posts
This morning was flight #2 for my ZAGI X. I increased the reflex angle by two (2) revolutions of the clevis'.

It took only a few seconds of flight to realize this was too much. Brought it down and decresed the reflex angle by one (1) revolution of the clevis'.

With only one up-click of the elevator trim tab, the ZAGI X is now smooth and stable with out any additional input from me.

Very well behaved

(the ZAGI, that is)
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck