HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2007, 08:10 PM
USA, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Sep 2007
4,066 Posts
Discussion
Triton 1 should i be concerned?

Hey guys, I just started using a triton 1 charger to charge my lipos. I am charging individual cells at this time because i dont have a balancer yet. Is the MAH reading on the triton correct enough to get a reading on battery condition? I have bought a few new packs and am trying to ensure long life. When im charging the 2250 11.1v each cell should have 750mah if my charger isnt able to put that much in each cell should i be concerned? or should i just go off of the volt reading for this.
Sorry if this is a newb question. I havent had good luck in the past with
Li-pos
Justin
Also, is it normal for a cell to get below 3.7v after a discharge?
JustinMoore12 is offline Find More Posts by JustinMoore12
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2007, 09:44 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Balancing individual cells in lieu of using a balancer is OK, but time consuming and extra work. By all means, get a balancer. But before you go to the trouble of individual cell charging, verify that the pack requires balancing. Check the cell voltages after the pack is charged, and if the cells are within about 0.03 volts of each other, you are good to go. Do not check for balance when the pack is discharged - not a reliable indication of balance.

You are incorrect in assuming each cell should receive 750 mAh. Each cell (or pair of cells if it is a 2P) of the 3S pack has a capacity of 2250 mAh. The Triton is capable of putting back in whatever is necessary to charge the pack. The accuracy of what is put back in is questionable and depends on how low the pack was discharged. Voltage is a much better indication of state of charge. The Triton charges to 4.16 - 4.17 volts per cell.

Less than 3.7 volts per cell after a 15 minute rest is too low. Shoot for 3.8 volts per cell. Your pack will be happier.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Last edited by ebill3; Dec 05, 2007 at 11:17 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2007, 11:40 PM
RichardK
Joined Oct 2007
158 Posts
For a 3S 2250mAH pack, the pack is 11.1V 2250mAh and each cell is 3.7V 2250mAH and not 750mAH
RichardK2046 is offline Find More Posts by RichardK2046
Old Dec 05, 2007, 11:52 PM
USA, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Sep 2007
4,066 Posts
Thanks guys, that clears alot up. I am getting a balancer for x mas, currently with bills i dont have the extra $$$ to spend. I Understand its time consuming and sort of frivelous. When i charge a pack and check it after the charge and one cell is out of balance, can i use this setup to discharge that specific cell? (if that helps any.)
Old Dec 06, 2007, 01:23 AM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMoore12
Thanks guys, that clears alot up. I am getting a balancer for x mas, currently with bills i dont have the extra $$$ to spend. I Understand its time consuming and sort of frivelous. When i charge a pack and check it after the charge and one cell is out of balance, can i use this setup to discharge that specific cell? (if that helps any.)
Don't know what setup you are referring to. An automotive lamp works well.

Balance is important, but normally not a big problem. Packs that are not abused (used well within their C and not deeply discharged) keep a pretty decent balance. Shucks, until just a couple of years ago, very few packs were balanced because there were no balance taps. Many guys do not balance at every charge, but do monitor cell voltages.

Charge the pack, check the cell voltages. If any are low, charge them; high, discharge them.

If you want to charge the individual cells, save a bit of time by charging the pack to say, 12.0 volts, and then charge the individual cells to full charge. With the Triton, that is about 4.16 volts.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Dec 06, 2007, 12:17 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,158 Posts
I only check balance about once every couple of months. At that time, my 3s packs have never shown anything but a very minor inbalance.

This isn't to say that balancing is not needed or important, but with well cared for cells, balancing every charge is not needed IMO.

If your individual cells are within 0.04V (best to worse), I'd just go ahead and charge the pack and keep tabs on the individual cells occasionally.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Dec 08, 2007, 06:40 PM
USA, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Sep 2007
4,066 Posts
Yup thanks bill that is what i have been doing. I have only noticed once or twice a small voltage differential in a couple cells and was quick to fix it.
Thanks for all the good info!
Justin