HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2007, 12:09 AM
Bountiful, Utah
Joined Dec 2003
97 Posts
Discussion
Electrify Ray Hayes 100' Big Bird??

I am looking for the best combination of motor, battery and controller for the BB. I have one that I fly off the winch, but I could fly from much smaller fields near my home if I build another one as an electric. I want to keep it as light as possible to mimic the flying characteristics of my non motorized BB. I don't need the 75 degree climb, but I don't want it under powered either. Just a good climb angle that will get me up to 600 feet quickly. I am thinking of using Hobby lobby stuff like the Gold AXI out runners, but I would like your recommendation for engine size, battery, and controller. And keep as light as possible. Also recommendations for prop and spinner setup. Any idea on how much this will ad to the weight. My present BB is 39 oz.

Also do any of you recommend the Big Bird XL for electric vs the std BB?
dwmumford is offline Find More Posts by dwmumford
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2007, 05:21 AM
Puyallup, WA
Joined Nov 2001
1,590 Posts
Thought of doing this to the BB. I have really liked the size of this model and it would be an ideal one to electrify. I have came across the mod somewhere, but not sure where, of one or two being switched over to elec. Check with the boys at Skybench and see what they have to say. They may have a conversion package in the works if not already there. Sure some of the guys will chime in on this one. Keep us posted on your fact finding mission.

tink
tinkrerpilot is offline Find More Posts by tinkrerpilot
Old Dec 05, 2007, 05:37 AM
Puyallup, WA
Joined Nov 2001
1,590 Posts
just checked the Sky bench site. Here's what they posted.

Suggested Electric Motor Installation ......

AXI 2820/10, 13X6.5 folding prop, and a 7 cell 2000 mAh battery or 2 or 3 cell LiPoly battery with a Jeti "Advanced PLUS" 40 amp controller available from Hobby-Lobby.com

its listed under the electric sailplanes. Pretty much dead on for the power set. Friend that I fly with has the same set up in an Oly II. Hour plus flights are no problem with a climb out at about 60 degrees. weight goes up to around 58 to 60 oz.

BB XL is only two more rib bays on each inner panel. This reduces your overall wing loading and will enhance your thermal ability.

tink
Old Dec 05, 2007, 01:59 PM
rockville.MD
Joined Dec 2006
149 Posts
DW i have been flying 2 electric BB's for over 2 years and love them. i have used a car motor with a 4.4:1 GB and a 14x8 prop,a hacker b40 with the same GB, and now a hyperon Z3025-10 with a 14x9.5. all have performed well. i have a buddy with an AXI2820-10 and it performs well.
i would recommended the hyperion as it has a tapered front end.
my planes weigh 61 oz with an 8 cell GP2200....ken troxell
soarhead20850 is offline Find More Posts by soarhead20850
Old Dec 07, 2007, 05:51 AM
Puyallup, WA
Joined Nov 2001
1,590 Posts
soarhead20850 where do you find the hyperon motors at? I have sourced the lhs and none there. Could you direct in some direction please! Like the idea of a tapered nose to that more then standard tapered model.

tink
Old Dec 07, 2007, 06:40 AM
rockville.MD
Joined Dec 2006
149 Posts
tink...allerc.com...ken
Old Dec 07, 2007, 08:38 AM
Joined Nov 2007
154 Posts
What a timely topic thanks guys.

I've been thinking about electrifying by Big Bird. It's been sitting idle for almost 5 years since moving out of the bay area where I used to hand launch into light ridge lift, then catch thermals and climb as high as I dared. My longest flight out there was 3 hours, not bad for hand launch eh?

Anyways, out on flat lands bungy/winch launching just isn't for me. This looks really cool.
boren is offline Find More Posts by boren
Old Dec 07, 2007, 04:06 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2003
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkrerpilot
soarhead20850 where do you find the hyperon motors at? I have sourced the lhs and none there. Could you direct in some direction please! Like the idea of a tapered nose to that more then standard tapered model.

tink
http://www.aircraft-world.com also have them. There is a lot of info on the site about the various winds that would be the most suitable for your desired battery set up and prop sellection. They're good, well built motors.

BTW, there is, or was, a video on the ACW site of one of these motors in a 2.5 m Omega being launched. It goes up like a rocket. I saw this model in the flesh at the Nationals here in Oz and it was trully impressive.
Komet is offline Find More Posts by Komet
Old Dec 07, 2007, 04:41 PM
rockville.MD
Joined Dec 2006
149 Posts
i put an hyperion Z3025-6 in my big bird. it scared me. over 500 watts!
too much for a poly plane-launch with a wing down and your in BIG trouble.
i changed to a 10 wind...much better....ken
Old Dec 07, 2007, 09:50 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2003
1,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmumford
I am looking for the best combination of motor, battery and controller for the BB. I have one that I fly off the winch, but I could fly from much smaller fields near my home if I build another one as an electric. I want to keep it as light as possible to mimic the flying characteristics of my non motorized BB. I don't need the 75 degree climb, but I don't want it under powered either. Just a good climb angle that will get me up to 600 feet quickly. I am thinking of using Hobby lobby stuff like the Gold AXI out runners, but I would like your recommendation for engine size, battery, and controller. And keep as light as possible. Also recommendations for prop and spinner setup. Any idea on how much this will ad to the weight. My present BB is 39 oz.

Also do any of you recommend the Big Bird XL for electric vs the std BB?
If you want a decent power set up that would have room for further use , then I would highly recommend those FUN series geared motors from KONTRONIKs.
I also have a RAY's bb though still on quene list of buildings. But I have almost finished a Cloud bound 4 (I fgk'd the fuselage now, and I would suggest you to do similar extra efforts to fgk it for higher rigidity so as to take the extra weight from power train) , which is slightly bigger than to BB or BBXL, amongst the power train on the shelf, I have determined to use a KONTRONIK's COMBO SET, which is consisted of a FUN 600-18+4,2:1 , and a JAZZ 55-10-32. Or its smaller set of FUN500-27+|5,2:1,+ a smaller ESC.
The pricings of those Kontroniks combos offered by TOWER hobbies are very reasonable, after all discounts, you could NOT find another comparable sets. (I mean, GENUINELY made in GERMANY, fty matched gearboxes...etc)
Those FUN series, are relative much versatile than those in their grades, because they have features like its rotor with sliced magnets are good for sport planes usage while their older gen BL series are only having one pc magnet rotor that is no good for partial throttle. Its reliability is hard to beat too, I have bought more than 15 sets of KONT motors, and none has been worked to death, the only set I destroyed is due to esc induced failures. So you wont be wrong with any set of them really.

I also have few pcs of AXI, the 2826 and a 4130, also got some china made outrunners cheapies, they all are good for sport plane uses, but I would NOT suggest anyone to use outrunners in sporty egliders . BECAUSE the space for motor set is very LIMITED so why bother to do extra works when one is able to have choices. pls note that I am NOT SAYING outrunners are no good to gliders, they would be great choice in many 1/3 or bigger scaleships.

Hope my reply helps.

Regards,
David
C-MIC is offline Find More Posts by C-MIC
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:12 PM
Bountiful, Utah
Joined Dec 2003
97 Posts
Well after 5 years I have finally started and am in the process of building the BB XL with an outrunner motor for the electric conversion. If you are interested in a short build log with photos go to this thread under electric Sailplanes:

'Ray Hayes Big Bird XL Nose conversion for electric".

Dave Mumford
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:04 PM
Bountiful, Utah
Joined Dec 2003
97 Posts
I have finished the Big Bird XL abreviated build. The hard part was doing the nose because I had to "engineer" it myself without the aid of plans etc. here is the link. Be sure to scroll to the 2nd page for the finished photo's. Any of you guys building the BB electric, this might be helpful. The finished sailplane pleased me very much. I plan to fly it in a week or so.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...+convers+build

Dave