HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by 13Flatspins, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 04, 2007, 07:48 PM
Build it up!
United States, MN, Coon Rapids
Joined Dec 2007
229 Posts
Discussion
U build it!

Hello, Everyone!
I'm new to this "Blog" deal. All that I'd like to say is that I have been into model airplanes since I can remember. I've built stick & tissue planes when I was a kid. I got into R/C in 1983. 99% of the time I build from kits. That way when I crash, I have a plan to rebuild from. My last 2 planes are a Lanier 1/4 scale Ultimate Pitts (1999) and a Lanier 1/4 scale Laser (2005) The Pitts has a Saito 180 with smoke and the Laser a Saito 150. Both are controlled by Airtronics with "J" connectors. (Makes it compatible with JR and Futaba & vice versa) Lately my mood has been swinging towards helicopters. Anyways, my s/n comes from the time in 2001 that I got my Pitts into an inverted flat spin with the smoke on. I did 13 B4 attempting pull out. It made the prettiest corkscrew pattern of smoke in the sky!! The coolest thing I ever did with an R/C plane!! But it wouldn't pull out of it no matter what I tried. I eventually got it flat spinning topside up but it spiraled slowly like a maple leaf all the way to the ground. Knocked the landing gear off and broke a lower wing. Not serious.
Two years ago I was flying the Laser trying to maintain knfe edge when it sort of got ahead of me. I banked opposite and yarked full up on the elevator. Something gave and it went down in a shallow spiral dive. I saw it go down behind the tree line about 1/4 mile from the flightline and heard a loud bang. Just where a big swamp is. I trudged thru that swamp for an hour and a half 'till I tired out. The reeds and grass were at least 8 feet tall. I gave up that day and called my R/C buddy to let him know the news. He said he meet me at the field the next day to help find it. I REALLY wanted the Saito 150 back! Best running engine I ever had. Didn't care too much for the plane & radio at that point. When I arrived at the field the next day, my friend was already there. He said he'd found the Laser and to follow him. I then reached in my truck for the trash bag that I carry in my flight box in case of dumb thumbs. He said I wouldn't need it. He took me out to the tree line where I must have walked under a hundred times the day before and said, "Look up." I landed that Laser in a tree 30 feet up! I elected to catch the plane instead of shaking the tree. Hurt like hell when 12 lbs of aircraft concentrated on the spinner hit the palm of my hand. Basic damage: knocked off landing gear and dents in the wing. And the probable cause of the crash: stripped aileron servo. Makes me wonder if the stripped rudder servo on the Pitts caused it to go down that day.
I have been in a funk with the hobby since 2005 and have been trying to figure out if I want to proceed with the hobby or to sell all my R/C stuff. It didn't help in 2003 that I bought a brand new full-scale boat. On a weekend if it's nice enuff to fly, it's also great boating weather. Wife don't ever go to flying field with me, so I always take her out in the boat. But now I have an electric powered amphibious plane! Boating & flying! How cool is that! Have to get off my duff and put it together, but as I said before, I'm getting very interested in helis. But when I put my 1/4 scales back in the air, I'll damned sure have heavy-duty or metal geared servos on all flying sufaces.
12-04-07
13Flatspins is offline Find More Posts by 13Flatspins
to remove ads between posts