SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 04, 2007, 02:35 PM
Joined Sep 2007
16 Posts
Discussion
RE: Sail Pattern and Hull Paint Scheme Resource for America Cup c.1980 Yachts

I'm not sure if this is off topic but does anyone know any really good web sites that provide details of sail patterns and hull colour schemes used on America Cup yachts. I'm particularly interested in information on Stars & Stripes US-55 and Liberty both of which were campaigned in the mid-80s. Unlike the model aero crowd there seems to be a lack of information regarding "war paint" resources for historic racing yachts.
Generic is offline Find More Posts by Generic
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2007, 03:18 PM
Joined Apr 2007
246 Posts
First hit after a Google search:

http://www.12metre.com/photo/thumbnails.php?album=1
gio06226 is offline Find More Posts by gio06226
Old Dec 04, 2007, 04:12 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,576 Posts
Wow. Those are some fantastic pictures! Oh, to be rich.
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Dec 04, 2007, 04:33 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,191 Posts
Generic -

try an email to:

Matt at rcsailtalk dot com

he was pretty heavy into the older 12's and I had sent him a lot of books and magazine. Not sure how far back they went but worth a try to see if he can email you some photos.
Dick L. is online now Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Dec 04, 2007, 09:24 PM
Plimmerton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic
I'm not sure if this is off topic but does anyone know any really good web sites that provide details of sail patterns and hull colour schemes used on America Cup yachts. I'm particularly interested in information on Stars & Stripes US-55 and Liberty both of which were campaigned in the mid-80s. Unlike the model aero crowd there seems to be a lack of information regarding "war paint" resources for historic racing yachts.

Hi Generic,

Awlgrip paint make a color called S&S blue, it is the actual paint used on US-55. Most of the S&S 12M are in USVI as charter boats. Liberty US-40 was sold to an unkown owner in Japan.

There is also this website http://www.12mrclass.com/ there is a host of helpful info and resources, also the people that run the class are very helpful and can put you in touch with the right people.

I am working on finding KZ-7 plans for a project, hard to find as the designers won't release any of their AC designs. I am hoping the owner will allow them to be released...

Hope that helps

Todd
isobaryachts is offline Find More Posts by isobaryachts
Last edited by isobaryachts; Dec 04, 2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2007, 11:17 AM
Joined Sep 2007
16 Posts
Hi Isobaryachts, thanks for the reply but I'm having problems getting Awlcraft in a small quantity here in Ireland. It seems the agencies are only set up to sell for full size boats. Any ideas - also I couldn't find the S&S blue on the Awlcraft online colour chart?
Generic is offline Find More Posts by Generic