HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2007, 09:56 PM
mad heli scientist
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Discussion
Tales of Gadget's Swift 16

After long deliberation, I decided to take advantage of what I figured was a pretty good deal from the FS/W section. I'm still waiting on delivery of the esc and a 6S 3700mah pack to put it in the air.

LOTS of plastic on this one..... for now

Carbon LG struts will probably be among the first of the mods, similar to my Eco 8 treatment. They are super strong, light, and have a really nice spring-action that makes them very forgiving.

The package shipped with 3 sets of stock blades, but with a 6S setup, I suppose I should get some 550's on order. Any recommendations for good all-around performance?
Gadget01 is offline Find More Posts by Gadget01
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2007, 10:32 PM
Joined Jan 2006
830 Posts
Looks good. What motor is that?

Also why look to longer blades or any other "bling" until you have flown it stock - you may just find that the money might be better spent on better servos or other electronics.
syclic is offline Find More Posts by syclic
Old Dec 04, 2007, 01:45 AM
Shiok Lah
The little red dot
Joined Sep 2007
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget01
Any recommendations for good all-around performance?
Congrates on your decision and the successful built !

You may wanna try these blades.
Ghostfit is offline Find More Posts by Ghostfit
Old Dec 04, 2007, 06:27 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,630 Posts
Greybird is offline Find More Posts by Greybird
Last edited by Greybird; Dec 05, 2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2007, 11:01 AM
Will work for heli's
Bend, OR.
Joined Mar 2005
2,057 Posts
traitor
Dogwoodtheone is offline Find More Posts by Dogwoodtheone
Old Dec 04, 2007, 04:40 PM
mad heli scientist
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfit
Congrates on your decision and the successful built !

You may wanna try these blades.
Interesting. I don't get it though- $20 for a set of carbon 550's? Are they stolen or something? Everywhere else I look, the going rate for them is around $80.

Oh... on second look... I guess that price is for a single blade. Never seen that trick before.

Do you fly these blades Ghostfit?
Old Dec 04, 2007, 05:22 PM
mad heli scientist
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syclic
Looks good. What motor is that?

Also why look to longer blades or any other "bling" until you have flown it stock - you may just find that the money might be better spent on better servos or other electronics.

The motor is a Plettenberg Orbit 20-16. I also have a 20-12, which looks identical but higher kv. I hope the 20 series is enough motor. I have a hard time getting a clear picture on how to figure wattage requirements and finding the wattage ratings for the Orbits. More guesswork than I prefer.

The cyclic servos are Hitec 5475HB's and a 401/9254 for the tail.

About using longer blades: I am simply trying to match the blade size to a 6S/8S power configuration. I fly very mild 3D at best, so I'd rather have lighter disc loading for longer flights with lower headspeeds. I've been asking about this subject in Chris' Swift thread and 550's seem to be well matched for a 6S power system. So then why higher voltage for less than Szabo-style flying? I prefer it over lower voltage, since current draw is lower, there should be less potential for esc/motor/battery heat problems. When I start craving the higher headspeeds, I won't have to change much more than a pinion gear. 550mm carbon blades should provide much more autorotatin float time than 515mm woodies.

The CF landing gear strut installation is a very functional mod which might save the life of a spendy lipo pack in a hard landing/botched autorotation. Auto's are what I'm focusing on with the sim. I had a rough Eco 8 "auto" a few weeks back after the tailgear tower slipped and the gear disengaged. Damage was really minor- just another set of broken plastic LG struts. I could have probably saved it all had I climbed up real high and done more of a controlled auto, using forward speed to stop the tail rotation. Hindsight, right?
Old Dec 04, 2007, 10:45 PM
Shiok Lah
The little red dot
Joined Sep 2007
406 Posts
Quote:
Interesting. I don't get it though- $20 for a set of carbon 550's? Are they stolen or something? Everywhere else I look, the going rate for them is around $80.

Do you fly these blades Ghostfit?
<<Edited>>

I've got their 600mm CF, 550mm CF and 550mm FRP ...test flew the 550mm FRP on my swift16 and got impressed ! ...haven't got a chance to try out the 550mm CF blades yet.
They can't compare with V-Blades or Rototechs in terms of performance or finishing but at that price, they're a really attractive option for "progressive" flyers like myself who will occasionally plant the heli while trying out new moves.
Ghostfit is offline Find More Posts by Ghostfit
Last edited by Ghostfit; Dec 05, 2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2007, 07:13 PM
mad heli scientist
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogwoodtheone
traitor
Me? Noway! You should look into getting one of these... it's a pretty sweet heli.

Esprit models carries Swift goodies- cool! More parts on the way.... yes Greybird, credit card is getting warm.

MAH 516mm carbon blades
AR6200 rx (should play nicely with the DX6i on the way)
silver button head (bling object #1)
cnc fin clamp (bling object #2)

and some other spares... tailbooms are only $4! wow! I kick myself for not starting with this heli a long time ago. You were right Greybird, totally right all along. I'm sure I'll be even more convinced once I get it cranked up.

Sucks how slow the mail is sometimes to the base over here. Oh well.... small price to pay for easy access to really good beer
Old Dec 05, 2007, 07:43 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,630 Posts
Adam. I cannot wait till you fly it. The first time I spooled mine up, I could not believe the power. Don't get too crazy on aluminum parts. I actually have the two parts you mention. The head button comes in handy. It just does not need anything else though.
Old Dec 05, 2007, 07:51 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,630 Posts
Did you double check all the servo arm lengths? The servo arms look kind of long on the side there. Check the elevator one also. I would also put longer bolts in the tail grips to tighten on the shaft. I think stock is the cheesey red Loctite deal. I added thrust bearings to the tail last year. Now they have the thrust bearing tail with aluminum grips for 25 bucks! Gadget, this heli will have you weak with blingfever in no time.
Last edited by Greybird; Dec 06, 2007 at 06:27 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2007, 10:06 PM
Will work for heli's
Bend, OR.
Joined Mar 2005
2,057 Posts
Quote:
Me? Noway! You should look into getting one of these... it's a pretty sweet heli.

Esprit models carries Swift goodies- cool! More parts on the way.... yes Greybird, credit card is getting warm.

MAH 516mm carbon blades
AR6200 rx (should play nicely with the DX6i on the way)
silver button head (bling object #1)
cnc fin clamp (bling object #2)

and some other spares... tailbooms are only $4! wow! I kick myself for not starting with this heli a long time ago. You were right Greybird, totally right all along. I'm sure I'll be even more convinced once I get it cranked up.

Sucks how slow the mail is sometimes to the base over here. Oh well.... small price to pay for easy access to really good beer
LOL I probably will perhaps later next year after the wife forgets how much I spent on helis this year ( oh and after we finally get a Hi-Def TV )
Old Dec 05, 2007, 11:51 PM
Will work for heli's
Bend, OR.
Joined Mar 2005
2,057 Posts
I think I would go A123 if I get a swift or any other larger heli, LiPo prices just hurt too much.

Oh I'm already getting the "how many helicopters do you have now?" question

my answer? "flyable or un-flyable?"
Old Dec 06, 2007, 06:56 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,630 Posts
Dog, we got HD last week. It takes watching the Dolphins lose to an all new level.
Old Dec 07, 2007, 06:39 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,630 Posts
Any closer to flying?