HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2007, 06:04 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Hi Robert,

The tail end of the fuselage was the part I am needing and one of your pictures is perfect.

This is a nice batch of pictures too, they will really help with the final shaping of the nose and work on the water wings.

There is a total of five 3 mm carbon tubes up on top for the wing mount, four are covered by a 1mm Depron cover. All go down to the hull for strength. There will also be four more carbon tubes coming up from the water wings and there will be two carbon tubes running through the water wings that the four tubes will attach to.

Len
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Last edited by LenBFP; Dec 30, 2007 at 06:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2007, 11:17 AM
's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Hi Len,

Sounds good.

Happy New Year! I'm looking forward to the finished product already.
I wish you all and your family the best for 2008.

Robert
Rotatorus is offline Find More Posts by Rotatorus
Old Dec 31, 2007, 02:40 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Thanks Robert, Happy New Year to you and your Family.

Len
Old Jan 04, 2008, 04:45 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
The carbon is spaced so it can hook up with the supports coming out of the fuselage and the braces coming up from the water wings. One mm Zepron is the planned covering (a bit more brittle than Depron and I have a few sheets picked up from airdyne some time ago) and cut out the ailerons. It will need a leading edge of some sort, perhaps this would be a good place for balsa? Or perhaps some of the 5 mm Depron and cover that with .5 ounce glass and water based polyurathane.

This is tricky, it seems hard to keep the warps out. Perhaps if I use strips instead of trying to cover the whole bottom or top at once? Maybe a leading edge, then a two inch strip across the top of the trailing edge to stabilize it, then cover the bottom, assemble the wing to the fuselage, put in all the electronics and then cover the top.

This is untested waters for me. Hopefully if I look at it enough an inspiration will come. All ideas are welcome.

Does anyone know of a detailed series of assembly pictures of a wing that uses similar construction that inspiration can be drawn from?

Len
Last edited by LenBFP; Jan 04, 2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2008, 09:25 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Went with a foam leading edge backed by half mm by 3 mm carbon on the wing tips. You can see where the urathane based glue foamed up a bit on the center spars. That helps fill in the hole the spar runs through. So far Gorilla Glue, UHU por and 6 minute epoxy have been used. Most of the strength of the wing is there and it weighs in at 26 grams. Next will be sheeting the bottom, work on the water wings and the engine nacelles.

Len
Last edited by LenBFP; Jan 05, 2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old Jan 05, 2008, 10:27 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Hi Len,

Nice structure. What wingspan is this plane going to be? I see you are using the UH 10 gr BL motor for it. I have some, they are nice and light. I'm currently waiting for my super small ME109 to dry up from it's first layer of paint. That one will fly (I hope) on the UH 5 g motor. I have put on a 3 blade push on prop from an airace model. I Thought to give your plan a try at 75% of the size with three of these 5 g motors and the 3 blade props. That gives an additional scale look to it. You won't see it if they are turning but that's besides teh point.
I will have to wait for new motors to arrive at UH but I am not in a hurry and I have one which I can use for trial fits.
Keep up the building and posting of progress. It's greatly appreciated.

Robert

NB: in case you want to see the me109 I was talking about, see here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...29#post8792321
Old Jan 05, 2008, 11:05 AM
e-powered foam
swiss watch makers area
Joined Dec 2002
812 Posts
Very nice Job Len, as a weight chaser myself I'm impressed by those 26 grams should become an excellent flyer !

watching at the pics with the Por glue could almost smell the horrible odor hope you have a well ventilated workshop.....that stuff leaves headeaches like cheap wines....

can't expect to watch at the next step

rawy
rawy is offline Find More Posts by rawy
Old Jan 05, 2008, 12:24 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Hi Robert,

The wingspan is 34" and those are three of the 5 gram, 2000kv motors. Although the recommended size prop is 4x2, testing shows that a GWS4530 is only pulling 1.7 amps at 9700 rpm on 2S. I will drop in and take a look at the ME109.

Rawy,

Although my target weight has been 10 ounces (280 grams), less will be welcome. I try not to use too much of the por at a time, but it is the best candidate for putting on the skin. It will just have to be a quick operation then I'll leave it to fully dry.

Len
Last edited by LenBFP; Jan 05, 2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2008, 06:44 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
The bottom of the wing is covered. It is just balanced on the attachment points, probably a little far aft. The tail is not glued yet either.

I was shocked that skinning the bottom of the wing added 20 grams. The whole thing weighs 148 grams now. I will be working to make my 280 gram ready to fly target, much less get better. Perhaps a 40" span would have been a better choice. It probably wouldn't weigh much more, but have a lot more wing area.

The wing turned out fairly straight and strong.

Len
Last edited by LenBFP; Jan 05, 2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2008, 06:50 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
Looks great Len .. dont worry about weight .. i think you will do fine..
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Jan 05, 2008, 06:58 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Thanks Ron.
Old Jan 06, 2008, 04:24 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
i just got myselfe a large roll of 1,2mm depron so i`m eagerlywatching howyour wing comes along, i`m finding the thin depron very nice to work with and quite stiff, but i have yet to use it on a large structure, looking at your results makes me quite confident it`ll be good thou
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Jan 06, 2008, 05:05 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
meatbomber,

The Zepron that was used to skin the wings and horizontal stabilizer was quite stiff and brittle and not good for curves. I call it 1 mm but it is probably slightly thicker. The first failed fuselage attempt used it. The strength was in the wing before skinning. The ribs and framework were from 5 mm Depron and the leading edge on the outboard sections were backed with half mm by 3 mm carbon. The carbon tubes were 3 mm. The fuselage formers were from 3 mm Depron, the vertical sides were from doubled 3 mm, the rest of the fuselage, rudder and elevator from 5 mm.

Len
Old Jan 06, 2008, 02:04 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Water wings today. Here is the internal bracing. JB Weld was used to attach the carbon to carbon. I should have waited until the wing struts were attached to cover the top of the water wing. The wing strut needs to be JB Welded to the cross brace carbon in the water wing.

Len
Old Jan 06, 2008, 03:59 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Hi Len,

Your plane is taking shape quickly. I was wondering about one thing. Where will you put the battery? I do not see any hatches. Except the opening in the nose. Not the best position to have a hatch when flying off water. Could you share your thoughts on that?

I found some pictures on the net of a scale model. They are not mine but maybe it is of use.

Robert