looks good Len .. alot better than with the 1mm
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2007, 03:10 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
I agree Ron. This is much easier and far less frustrating.

Got a bit more done. She is weighing 43 grams at this point. One of the open sides will be covered and some work on the step and that will be it for the fuselage until the electronics get installed. The nose and one side will be left uncovered until then. I'm guessing some lead will need to go in the nose.

Much happier with how it is coming now.

Any ideas on how much weight will be added with some half ounce glass cloth and water based polyurathane for the fuselage?
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Last edited by LenBFP; Dec 16, 2007 at 06:11 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 04:13 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
This is about what it will look like from the side. Still have to do the step under the rear fuselage and the top of the nose. Probably the wing struts will be next along with the tail feathers and figuring out how to make them work. I'm leaning tward putting the servos in the nose with carbon pushrods back to the tail. The split rudder should prove interesting. I'm open for suggestions. All the linkage should be hidden.

Weighs 46 grams now.
Last edited by LenBFP; Dec 17, 2007 at 04:19 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 04:30 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,342 Posts
very nice !!

As for the linkages, you could go pull-pull with each side getting pulled outwards and only the connection between the twin rudders in between... the good thing is that you can go very tight radiuses with pull-pull lines rather than rods
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Dec 23, 2007, 04:05 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Thanks for the advice and kind words meatbomber.

Got a little more done. Routed two servo connectors thru the wing attachments. Used carbon fiber for the wing supports and covered them with 1 mm Depron. The rear step is done. Next will be the water wings and tail surfaces, two servos installed in the nose and linkage. Whichever gets me motivated first. Then there is the wing to get started on. Lots to do, but the family will get most of my attention for the near future.

Len
Old Dec 23, 2007, 04:12 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,342 Posts
damn len you`re making it look so easy to do these complexe compound curves !! great going so far !

i`m planning for one of my next projects to do something with twin rudders too so`ll be looking closely how you do it

cheers
MB
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Dec 29, 2007, 08:57 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Tail linkage. I used a bellcrank from an old kit to use the pivot and cut it down. Two approaches were tried for the control horns one was a Dumas micro horn which worked best trimmed and the other was cut from plywood and it was ok, but thicker. Straight pins with heads were used at the control surface. Kevlar thread was used for wrapping. The carbon rod is probably oversize but it will be stiff. Carbon and plywood were used to strengthen the horizontal stabilizer. Both control rods will be inside the fuselage. A layer of one millimeter Depron will cover the surface. Two more ply stiffeners will go near the outboard.
Last edited by LenBFP; Dec 29, 2007 at 09:11 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 09:17 AM
e-powered foam
swiss watch makers area
Joined Dec 2002
812 Posts
looking good Len, did the same principle on my C36 to have both rudders functional, my center bellcrank was made of wood and carbon sticks, should be possible to differenciate the throws turning the horns inward.

Nice job !

rawy
rawy is offline Find More Posts by rawy
Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:41 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,572 Posts
Very Nice indeed!
Keep up the pics & updates too, I love those Dorniers.

Phil
Smokin' Beaver is online now Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Dec 30, 2007, 05:13 AM
's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
real thing

Hi Len,

Last year I went to a museum and took some pictures of the DO-24. I thought you might want to look at them for inspiration. I love these flying boats. I hope yours will turn out to be a terrific flyer.
The only remark I must make on the pictures is that the turrent on the nose of this plane is not an original.

This plane is finished in original dutch markings. It is a Dornier DO 24K-1 which was build in licence by aviolanda / de Schelde. It has served the Royal Dutch marine airforce from 1937 till 1943. It's currently owned by the RAF museum Hendon in London and it is on loan at the "Militaire Luchtvaart Museum" (militairy aviation museum) in The Netherlands.

Enjoy! Can't wait to see the endresult of your build.

Robert
Rotatorus is offline Find More Posts by Rotatorus
Old Dec 30, 2007, 06:35 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,572 Posts
Nice pics!
Now that museum is on my 'must see' list for when I tour Europe
thanks for sharing!

phil
Smokin' Beaver is online now Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:21 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Hi Robert,

Very nice pics. They will be a big help in getting some of the compound curves correct (or at least closer - I am afraid this attempt has too many errors to correct, but it will be finished and perhaps motivation will be found to do better). I am leaning tward painting it in the same colors as in the pictures. What color is the bottom? Is it off white tward grey or blue, or bluegrey?

Looking at Seaplanes designed just before the second world war sets my mind daydreaming. The Catalina and Dornier to me are winged equivalents of VW camper vans.

In the writeups on the Martin China Clipper they talk about the innovative sea wing used to stabilize the craft instead of floats. I look at some of the early design work for the Dornier and wonder which was first.

Len
Last edited by LenBFP; Dec 30, 2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 05:44 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Thanks for the kind words.

Here the tail feathers are not glued on yet, the carbon pushrods have been attached to the control surfaces and positioning the servos in the cabin is the next step. It is up to 99 grams now.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 05:50 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Hi Len,

I'm afraid we are hopeless romantics with these planes. Which curves do you mean? I took some other pictures because I wanted to make a balsa ribbed plane of the do 24. Perhaps these will help you...

Sadly I didn't take pictures of the tailsection. There was no good unobstructed line of sight.

Robert
Old Dec 30, 2007, 05:54 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
I think you are close to the curves of the real thing. Tailsection only needs a small turrent. I am afraid you will need to strenghten those struds that will keep up the wing. Some carbon would do magic.

Keep on working, This is a nice plane already.

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenBFP
Thanks for the kind words.

Here the tail feathers are not glued on yet, the carbon pushrods have been attached to the control surfaces and positioning the servos in the cabin is the next step. It is up to 99 grams now.