SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 23, 2008, 06:14 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,864 Posts
I was hoping for a maiden this morning, but the wind is whipping the trees around pretty good. It is supposed to be calmer tomorrow... Hope springs eternal.

Painted on some windows. Figured it just ain't right trying to fly it if the pilots can't see.

Len
LenBFP is online now Find More Posts by LenBFP
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2008, 07:25 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,573 Posts
Yep...she will cruise on a touch under 1/2 throttle
I bet $0.50c
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:38 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,824 Posts
Looks great on the water Len .. cant wait to hear how she does ..
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Feb 23, 2008, 12:15 PM
's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenBFP
I was hoping for a maiden this morning, but the wind is whipping the trees around pretty good. It is supposed to be calmer tomorrow... Hope springs eternal.

Painted on some windows. Figured it just ain't right trying to fly it if the pilots can't see.

Len

Hi Len,

It is looking better which each improvement. You only forgot the topside windows. How are the pilots going to spot those Japs coming from above?

Robert
Rotatorus is offline Find More Posts by Rotatorus
Old Feb 24, 2008, 05:52 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,864 Posts
The weather looks close to ideal. Five miles per hour south west wind. Patchey fog until 10. I have the movie camera charged up, but no assistant (the daughter is in a play this morning, based on "Through the Looking Glass". I saw it yesterday and the young actors that played Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee were quite funny). I will bring the camera along in case there is someone that can be drafted.

I'm back and not wet. There are a number of things to sort out. On it's first attempt to get airborn it only took maybe twenty feet and it was airbourne and banking left and required down elevator. Full right aileron did not seem to help, but it may have been just above stall speed. A film would be very handy right now, but it wound up hanging on it's props for a bit then took a dunking. After that it seemed heaver and when I got back and put it on the scales it had picked up over two ounces. The paint seems to adsorb water. The picture of it was taken after the dunking and the tail seems to be sitting lower. I got it airborne a couple of more times, but I believe the wing incidence is a bit much and I need to get the paint sealed with something that won't adsorb water. WPU comes to mind or perhaps a matte spray fixitive.

Most of my planes are quite dull in that they just fly. This one will be a bit more of a challange.

Len
Last edited by LenBFP; Feb 24, 2008 at 08:08 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 08:57 AM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
2 oz from water absorbtion seems a bit much , are you sure some water didn't find its way in somewhere ??

After a dunking I have found water in every place you can imagine and in some you cannot !!

Anyway congrats on the maiden , sounds like it may have been a tad tail heavy .

You did check the CofG before flying , did you check it after the dunking ?

Trying to fly with water surging in the fuse or wings is very interesting !! ( ask me how I know . LOL )
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Old Feb 24, 2008, 09:07 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Hi Len,

You could do something about that left banking tendency. Change the middle prop for a leftturning one and have the middle motor turn left instead of right. I seal my planes with clear paint from Tamiya (TS-13). I think that or something similar will do the trick.
If I look at your picture your tailwing is under an angle with the main wing. Maybe you should set that angle back to 0 degrees.

Alligators... Did you ever have an encounter with a Pike? I did once with a little boat I made from foam. I used a shiney piece of metal to get it to sail forward instead of sideways. Apparently this looked like a fish because this big Pike came from underneath and just rammed it. It was like a scene from Jaws. One lesson learned... Do not put shiney things under anything that floats .

I hope you get the plane sorted out.

Robert
Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:51 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,864 Posts
lake flyer - If holding plane by the front of the wingtips it is in ballance. It looks like maybe 25 to 30% back from the LE. I actually was concerned that it was nose heavy. The CG moved aft after the dunking, but I couldn't feel any water sloshing around (doesn't mean there wasn't any). The paint has a matte finish, but it feels like it is absorbing water. There is some WPU under the paint on the bottom of the hull, but that is it.

Hi Robert,

I like your idea of changing the incidence of the horizontal stabilizer, that will certainly be easier than trying to alter the incidence of the wing. I will order a reverse prop for the center, but if it gets ready to fly and the prop isn't here maybe a trim tab to lift the left wing will do. I need to eyeball those wings carefully to see if maybe there is a bit of a warp.

Len
Old Feb 24, 2008, 12:09 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,824 Posts
Len did you allow her to run up and get on step and to pull up herself or did you have to hit the elevator?? i ask this because it sounds like you stalled her on seperation with the water .. it sounds like the classic Flying boat not enough speed thing ..
Old Feb 24, 2008, 01:08 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Do-18

Hi Len,

I have been fiddling around today and started a possible build, a Do18.
With counterrotating props in a line there would be no left or right tendencies. The idea came from a Cox Zero warbird. I took the wing and cut it in two halves. By adding some backswing the form of the wing is similar to the DO18. It is a bit small but it could be possible. The props need to be cut back a bit. Biggest issue would be the foam. Not very strong. Also where to put the controls...

I'll let you know if this gets build or not.

Robert
Old Feb 24, 2008, 01:58 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,864 Posts
Ron,

I was quite suprised, it kinda leaped into the air. But I think Robert is right the horizontal stab is sitting with a lot of tilt relative to the wing. So although I did not give it any more up, it already had too much. I am in the process of trimming out a triangle of foam under the horizontal stab to reduce the angle. Ideally it would be flat with respect to the bottom of the wing, and then it still would have a bit of up. Given my druthers it would have built up more speed before separation.

The next time I tried to hold more down elevator to let it get on step, but by then I think it had picked up some water and the CG had moved aft. I don't know where the water gets in, but I can see where it is coming out up on top of the cabin area.

Hi Robert,

What became of your DO24? I see the plans there, is that the fuselage you are thinking of making the Do18 with? The Do18 looks interesting, but I will probably stay with seaplanes about this size or bigger, except for the Puddle Twin. I have printed out the full size, (too big) the 66% (too small) and a 75% (just right). One nice thing about the 75% is it fits on 9 sheets of paper 3x3. The full size was 5 sheets across and I was getting tired of it after two rows. When I get a bit more serious about it I will move over to the Puddle Twin thread to post on that one.

Len
Last edited by LenBFP; Feb 24, 2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 03:35 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,419 Posts
Hi Len,

The DO24 still is on the list but I got stuck on how to proceed. I really tend to go with wood for nice curves and then fill her up. At the other hand I wanted to do foam. I made a bow this weekend but it was not good. Not enough tension and not enough heat. Now the weekend is as good as over and no progress except for the little tryout. It felt good to do the sanding. I prefer sanding Balsa over foam because all the dust is statically charged and will stick to everything. It is hard to remove. Also foam tend to loose beads and holes tend to ruin your project. With wood that wont happen.

I hope the DO24 will fly soon and proper. I'd love to see it in the air. It's a shame I live so far away. I would have gladly helped out with the camera.
That said, my diving buddy has bought a HD camera and an underwater casing. Imagine a movie of the Do24 from the water.
Luckily we do not have those alligators in the water .
I need to build a flying plane first to get some footage.

Robert
Old Feb 24, 2008, 06:11 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
My Puddle 66 was VERY VERY leaky at first... at an all up weight of 130g it would pick up a good 80g in just a matter of 1 minute or so floating.. it seems that the foam posesses capilarys that basically suck teh water in !!

2 coats of WBPU solved that problem. Now all my Flying boats are WBPU painted to seal them and they are all staying dry inside... just needs a through coating.

Rawys Marlin was also taling on a lot of water in a short while , so even if it`s not sloshing around noticeably in your hand, it might still be quite enough to alter the CG to make it unflyable.
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Feb 24, 2008, 07:32 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,824 Posts
i always seal all my joints with Probond mixed with water .. never had a leak ..
Old Mar 02, 2008, 11:58 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
so len any news ? i wanna see inflight pix !
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber