SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 03, 2007, 08:57 AM
from another mother
Plumas Lake, CA
Joined Nov 2007
454 Posts
Discussion
I just bought my new first plane

I'm finally getting back into the hobby after many years. The first time around I was poor and distracted, but I used to be able to thrash my duraplane around. (What a POS)

I bought the Hobbico Nexstar Select. I've read the reviews, but I pretty much will have to self teach this time around. I think it will be okay. I've played the sim a few times. I plan to break the plane out around christmas. My oldest son is pretty excited. He has a mild form of Autism so I'm hoping the auto-leveling system will help him.

Really, I hope to get warmed up enough so I can build and fly the model that I want which is an RV-4 with spektrum DX7 and a currently undecided engine. (maybe a 4 stroke) However, I'm going to take a little time with the Nexstar.
Brother2 is offline Find More Posts by Brother2
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2007, 09:17 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,192 Posts
Welcome back..you're going to be surprised how quick it'll come back to you. I want to strongly recommend 2 things
1. Go over your new plane carefully look at all glue joints. If in doubt a little CA won't hurt. If there is a screw touch it with a screw driver to make sure it's tight.
2 Get with an instructor for the first couple of flights. There is a club locator on the AMA web site I bet there is a club near you.
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Dec 03, 2007, 10:38 PM
from another mother
Plumas Lake, CA
Joined Nov 2007
454 Posts
I will go over the plane with a fine toothed comb.

I sent a message to the local AMA club (4 members). We'll see how that goes.
Old Dec 07, 2007, 08:27 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother2
I'm finally getting back into the hobby after many years.

I bought the Hobbico Nexstar Select.

I'm going to take a little time with the Nexstar.
Hello Brother2,

Just wanth to wish you lots of pleasure in your return to the hobby.

The Nexstar Select was a good choice.

Also enjoy the Holiday Season,

de Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 17, 2007, 11:15 AM
from another mother
Plumas Lake, CA
Joined Nov 2007
454 Posts
Assembled and ready for flight this week. I'll be hitting the sim pretty hard. Wish me luck.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 05:29 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1 Posts
that plane is a floater,it helps if you come in with just a tad over idle until you are about 2 ft above the ground then chop the throttle all the way down and it will settle right down on all three wheels. good luck!
picketthl is offline Find More Posts by picketthl
Old Dec 17, 2007, 06:48 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Assembled and ready for flight this week. I'll be hitting the sim pretty hard. Wish me luck.
I wish you luck.
Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 17, 2007, 11:40 PM
from another mother
Plumas Lake, CA
Joined Nov 2007
454 Posts
The sim makes it seem like it can't stall. You can just bring it in with full back stick and put it down pretty easily.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:23 AM
Kenny- Really!
USA, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Jul 2007
809 Posts
Quote:
The sim makes it seem like it can't stall. You can just bring it in with full back stick and put it down pretty easily.
Well, all I would say, is don't get too confident that the sim is "that good" as to re-create real life so well.... one way to tell for sure is to top off the tank, take off and get altitude, then slow her down, and try it! usually with all maiden flights, this is all that usually happens for me- the first few flights are just testing and trying all the "what I think's" but sometimes, what you think may not be- just err a bit to the cautious side, and I am sure you'll be fine... sounds like you are well off to the right path! enjoy!!
exciter900rr is offline Find More Posts by exciter900rr
Old Dec 18, 2007, 03:22 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,691 Posts
Iíve been training a guy on a NextStar, and have one also I assembled for my son. IMHO, itís a very good trainer despite some of the bad rap it can get.

Some suggestions:

Donít rely on those plastic bolts to hold the tail on. Remove the covering where itíll attach to the fuselage and epoxy (use 30 minute epoxy minimum if not up to 60 minute) the tail in place. Use the bolts and retainers supplies to help tighten the tail down while the epoxy cures and just leave them there for additional security.

Find and instructor Ė donít try and fly it your self. It will need to be trimmed and your flight sim experience wonít help you there.

Disconnect that AFS system Ė itíll do nothing but get you in trouble.

Remove the leading edge cuffs and speed flaps. Also do not cut the ailerons to make flaps Ė all this does is reduce the aileron throw. My student said right off the bat that there was a huge difference between flying the sim and the actual plane Ė and it glides a lot better with all the garbage left off.

Make sure itís balance properly from the start. After you fly it, youíll find it probably wonít want to get the nose very high on landing, so be prepared to add a bit of tail weight (there is so much wing there, the few ounces wonít be an issue Ė my students too 3 ounces on the bottom of the tail). Also donít be worried if you need to increase the aileron and elevator throws. I had to do that on mine and my students.

Youíve got a good trainer. Donít do anything stupid with it (remember it is just a trainer, not an IMAC or pattern plane) and itíll last quite a while.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Dec 18, 2007, 04:48 PM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
hog,

With all the modifications you made, you come close to having an Avistar. Why not save some money and get one in the fist place!
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Dec 18, 2007, 07:17 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,691 Posts
Avistar would be a great choice (and one I'd recommend if he re-kits the NextStar ), but since he already has the NextStar, just passed on a few tips to hopefully make it a better flying trainer. Notice I didn't bring up full span flapperons.......

Hogflyer
Old Dec 22, 2007, 11:40 AM
Joined Nov 2006
48 Posts
I've had 2 nextstar trainers and can vouch for what was said above being true. These planes float more then any other trainer I've flown. Something not mentioned above that I noticed was that you pretty much have to get used to using the rudder to help this plane turn in flight especally at slower speeds. I needed the rudder most just after lift off. Beyond this the plane does fly really well.
Just another opinion but my personal favorite of all the trainers is the Alpha 40. I haven't flown the Avistar however.
Good luck and happy holidays.
Jimmy
jimmys2 is offline Find More Posts by jimmys2
Old Dec 22, 2007, 06:35 PM
from another mother
Plumas Lake, CA
Joined Nov 2007
454 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I'm going to try it this weekend if the wind drops below 35 knots. I almost lost one of my kids in the wind today.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 07:16 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,691 Posts
Two more things on the NextStar - let us know right away if it wants to turn to the right not only on the takeoff roll (that could be the nose gear out of alignment), but it if wants to continue turning to the right after takeoff. Mine, and several others I've maidened/flown have had this problem and it is an issue with the firewall alignment (problem with a factory jig is my best guess). Also watch the winds you fly it in. The one's I've flown don't like much wind over 15 mph, or a direct cross wind over 10 mph.

Hogflyer