HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
 
Thread Tools
Old Dec 05, 2002, 05:15 PM
Dano
Guest
n/a Posts
Ram simple cycler

I have recently aquired a box of old parts from a retired modeler.
One of the things I got was a battery cycler.

The cycler is in a red case with a white sticker that say "ram simple
cycler." I checked the web and found who made it, but they don't have
any information about it. There are several different models on thier
site, but the one I have has no model number markings.

My problem is that there is 4 wires coming off the board, but the
connector(s) have been taken off. There are 2 black, 1 red, and 1
yellow wire. Does anyone know what wires to connect the battery too?
I think the other two wires might be to connect a charger so the
battery will charge when it is done discharging.

If anyone has or had one of these could you explain how to hook it up
and a quick functionality of it.

Dano,
North Contry Model Controllers
Old Dec 05, 2002, 09:05 PM
Rich Sichler
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Ram simple cycler

Hey Dano - unless the unit has been modified, it does not work with a
charger. The stock unit discharges TX (9.6v) and RX (4.8v) packs to 1.1v
per cell. It can only discharge a single pack at a time. The piezo buzzer
sounds when the voltage hits the 1.1v per cell. No switches are present on
the unit - you use one pair of wires for TX and the other pair for RX packs.
I don't have mine anymore and I don't recall if TX is red/black or
yellow/black. A little messing around with a variable power supply or some
battery packs should sort them out!
Rich

Dano <danlucente@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:56563df6.0212051515.2c733e4d@posting.google.c om...
> I have recently aquired a box of old parts from a retired modeler.
> One of the things I got was a battery cycler.
>
> The cycler is in a red case with a white sticker that say "ram simple
> cycler." I checked the web and found who made it, but they don't have
> any information about it. There are several different models on thier
> site, but the one I have has no model number markings.
>
> My problem is that there is 4 wires coming off the board, but the
> connector(s) have been taken off. There are 2 black, 1 red, and 1
> yellow wire. Does anyone know what wires to connect the battery too?
> I think the other two wires might be to connect a charger so the
> battery will charge when it is done discharging.
>
> If anyone has or had one of these could you explain how to hook it up
> and a quick functionality of it.
>
> Dano,
> North Contry Model Controllers



Old Dec 06, 2002, 06:50 AM
Mathew Kirsch
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Ram simple cycler

"Rich Sichler" <rsichler@netcarrier.com> wrote in message news:<GZTH9.896$Ss6.288095295@news.netcarrier.net> ...
> you use one pair of wires for TX and the other pair for RX packs.


> I don't have mine anymore and I don't recall if TX is red/black or
> yellow/black. A little messing around with a variable power supply or some
> battery packs should sort them out!


Since this cycler is probably just a string of big power resistors or
other resistance devices of some sort, you ought to be able to open
the case and look inside to see where the wires are connected. Both
black wires should be connected to the same end of the string. One of
the red/yellow wires should be connected in the middle of the string.
This is for the Rx pack. The remaining wire should be connected on the
far end of the string. This is for the Tx pack.
Old Dec 06, 2002, 08:57 AM
Joel
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Ram simple cycler

Tower hobbies has the item you described at:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LL6223&P=1

"This unit will discharge transmitter and receiver (4.8V and 9.6V, 70 to
550mAh) batteries and signals an alarm when finished. Required are
connectors to fit radio system. This will only discharge one battery at a
time."

RAM (RAM)
229 EAST ROLLINS ROAD
ROUND LAKE BEACH, IL 60073
PHONE: 847-740-8726

The two black wires are probably a common ground. The red and yellow wires
are probably the hot wires for a receiver pack and a transmitter pack. You
have a 50 percent chance of guessing correctly. Some tests with a battery
pack and VOM would probably determine how it works. Tower sells the unit
for $17.99.

Joel


"Dano" <danlucente@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:56563df6.0212051515.2c733e4d@posting.google.c om...
> I have recently aquired a box of old parts from a retired modeler.
> One of the things I got was a battery cycler.
>
> The cycler is in a red case with a white sticker that say "ram simple
> cycler." I checked the web and found who made it, but they don't have
> any information about it. There are several different models on thier
> site, but the one I have has no model number markings.
>
> My problem is that there is 4 wires coming off the board, but the
> connector(s) have been taken off. There are 2 black, 1 red, and 1
> yellow wire. Does anyone know what wires to connect the battery too?
> I think the other two wires might be to connect a charger so the
> battery will charge when it is done discharging.
>
> If anyone has or had one of these could you explain how to hook it up
> and a quick functionality of it.
>
> Dano,
> North Contry Model Controllers
>



Old Dec 06, 2002, 10:24 AM
Gary Gullikson
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Ram simple cycler

I have the old RAM Simple Cycler. It has two black , one red and one yellow
wire. The yellow and one of the black wires goes to the receiver and one
red and one black wire go to the transmitter. E-mail me separately and I'll
send you a scan of the graph and instructions you'll need to use the cycler
correctly to determine remaining capacity of your battery packs after a
certain number of flights. Graph and instructions are printed on dark red
paper, hope it will scan clearly!

Gary Gullikson



"Joel" <joel_u@post.com> wrote in message
news:sV2I9.7551$kz2.789256@newsread1.prod.itd.eart hlink.net...
> Tower hobbies has the item you described at:
>
> http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LL6223&P=1
>
> "This unit will discharge transmitter and receiver (4.8V and 9.6V, 70 to..



Old Dec 06, 2002, 03:17 PM
James D Jones
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Ram simple cycler

When I used one of these, I added three bananna plugs so that I could
use the same leads as on my ISV. I marked them TX, RX and GND. The
Red went to TX, Yellow to RX and the two Black to GND. I just put the
plugs on the top case. I quit using it when I got tired of having to
be in my shop when the alarm went off. I sold it at a swap meet.

Jim - AMA 501383

Gary Gullikson wrote:
> I have the old RAM Simple Cycler. It has two black , one red and one
> yellow wire. The yellow and one of the black wires goes to the
> receiver and one red and one black wire go to the transmitter. E-mail
> me separately and I'll send you a scan of the graph and instructions
> you'll need to use the cycler correctly to determine remaining
> capacity of your battery packs after a certain number of flights.
> Graph and instructions are printed on dark red paper, hope it will
> scan clearly!
>
> Gary Gullikson
>
>
>
> "Joel" <joel_u@post.com> wrote in message
> news:sV2I9.7551$kz2.789256@newsread1.prod.itd.eart hlink.net...
>
>> Tower hobbies has the item you described at:
>>
>> http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LL6223&P=1
>>
>> "This unit will discharge transmitter and receiver (4.8V and 9.6V,
>> 70 to..

>
>
>


 


Thread Tools