HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2007, 11:15 AM
PlaneCrazy
Central California
Joined Sep 2003
2,540 Posts
Discussion
Which one Lanier Mariner 40 or Ace Seamaster or Thunder Tiger Seamaster

Dont own any float planes, need help deciding, was looking at the following 3 as I like this style Lanier Mariner 40 or Ace Seamaster or Thunder Tiger Seamaster and will probably be using a OS 46 AX

Thanks
jdcook54 is offline Find More Posts by jdcook54
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2007, 01:14 PM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
920 Posts
JDCooks54
I fly a Seamaster which is now distributed by Thunder Tiger and I believe was originally an ACE kit. Originally designed by Ken Willard. It is powered by an OS 46AX, a great combination. We have 5 guys flying this plane in our club using engines from a .46 to a OS 70 FS. It is a great flying plane, easy to fly, can be very aerobatic if desired.

Joe
jpgilbert is offline Find More Posts by jpgilbert
Old Dec 01, 2007, 01:52 PM
PlaneCrazy
Central California
Joined Sep 2003
2,540 Posts
Thanks, now that I look more closely the Ace & Thunder Tiger look like the same plane, now is anyone flying the Lanier Mariner 40
Old Dec 01, 2007, 01:56 PM
Glasgow, Scotland, UK.
Joined Jun 2006
92 Posts
Over here in Scotland, the Seamaster has been the standard introduction/reliable sport model for sport flying boats for many years. Any event will have six to ten of them flying. A few years ago they were built from the Ace kit or the original plan but now they are more likely to be the ARTF version. They fly really well on a .46 and can handle a bit of wind and wave, which we often have to deal with. Depends whether your a builder or a flyer. Either way, you can't really go wrong. Dougie.
deustace is offline Find More Posts by deustace
Old Dec 01, 2007, 03:36 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,971 Posts
JD, I've flown the Seamaster and the Mariner extensively. They are both great seaplanes, but they fly very different. The Seamaster is a great first seaplane as it flies great on a 46 sized engine and is very forgiving on the water and in the air. The Mariner is more aerobatic, but is a little tougher to get off the water and really needs a 51 to 55 sized engine for best performance. It really comes down to your flying needs. Do you want a gentle flyer or a tiger?
Mike McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Dec 01, 2007, 09:49 PM
Crossville, TN
Joined Dec 2004
2,907 Posts
My Lanier Mariner 40 used a OS .50 SX and easily outperformed the local Sea Masters. I also found it easier to touch down w/o the flat bottom skip Sea Masters are noted for.
One word of caution on the Lanier Mariner 40...the hardwood elevator joiner uses a very brittle glue and can break at the balsa. I purposely broke mine loose on both sides and reglued it after hearing about the failed factory glue jobs. I like the more scale like look over the red windowed SM's....
Art Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Art Schmitz
Old Dec 02, 2007, 06:03 AM
Seaplane Nerd
Joined Jan 2005
829 Posts
Art, the Mariner II supposedly corrected the elevator joiner problem.

When I flew a Mariner (once) I thought it flew just like a "Stick". I never understood what the attachments are just forward of the step. They look as if they would only be draggy in the water.

Seamasters are everywhere and Everybody seems happy with them. Although I use nyrod I feel it is not well designed the way they snake the nyrod all over the airplane to make the elevator linkage on the Seamaster. It's probably just me, nobody has complained of the imprecision that I fear would result.
JimCasey is offline Find More Posts by JimCasey
Old Dec 02, 2007, 08:09 AM
Crossville, TN
Joined Dec 2004
2,907 Posts
Goodmorning, Jim. I went with a braided brass throttle cable for the elevator 'push rod' and used the kit supplied rudder linkage. It has a Saito 56 on it and flew rather well..all in all a very nice plane. ( I couldn't go the red windows, made up some light blue replacements.) I did use S.L. aluminum tubing to brace the h. stab out of personal preference. Admittedly, I have never heard of a Sea Master losing a stab.
I thought that the wheeled landing gear option was notable. There are lots of parts left over when building just the sea plane version !
The Lanier cost more and didn't measure up in overall quality.
Inverted reversing spins, K.E., axial rolls, impeccable water handling, etc, sold me on my Lanier. Wish I had not sold it !
The price really went up on the Mariner's !!
I just hope my E-Cruiser will fly like the Lanier. The only Sea Cruiser I saw fly did very well in the air and on the water. It had an ancient HB .50 on it.
Old Dec 02, 2007, 04:14 PM
PlaneCrazy
Central California
Joined Sep 2003
2,540 Posts
Have any of you flown the North Star?

Doug
Old Dec 02, 2007, 04:36 PM
Crossville, TN
Joined Dec 2004
2,907 Posts
No, but I am looking forward to it ! They handle rough water better than most and look like something out of 'Star Wars' in the air. Very fast.
Old Dec 02, 2007, 06:04 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,971 Posts
Doug,
I've flown a Northstar and they are very different. They are a lot faster than the Mariner and more aerobatic. They also take a little more room to take off and land. If you overpower them, they are almost 3D capable. They will even high alpha in to land with enough power. If you've flow a delta type airplane, the Northstar will fly very similar. You will need to seal all the openings very well if you plan to fly in rough water. The Nortstar doesn't have much "freeboard" to keep the water out. I highly recommend a lot of Corrosion-X on all the electonics of any Northstar.
Mike McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28