SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 01, 2007, 05:18 AM
Registered User
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jul 2007
722 Posts
Discussion
Stock RC18T with 11.1v LiPo - HELP!

I just bought an 11.1v with 1100 mah discharged at 14C continuous, 20C burst. The battery size was a perfect fit. When I power on the car to test it, it was okay for about 3 or 4 seconds running forward then the car/speed controller turned off by itself. I unplugged the battery and plug it back in and turn on the car again and it goes fine for another 3 or 4 seconds then the car shut off by itself again. And I can feel the speed controller getting a little hot. It also tend to shut off right away as soon as I hit "reverse".

Now I was told that this battery works with the RC18T stock speed controller but is it a lie? Would the 11.1v lipo battery burn out the speed controller? Or it's never safe to use an 11.1v lipo in the RC18T?

Everything is stock in my RC18T. Nothing modified. The lipo battery was fully charged. PLEASE HELP!
carrotcake is offline Find More Posts by carrotcake
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2007, 11:41 AM
Registered User
United States
Joined Dec 2004
1,896 Posts
i dont think the esc's rated for that much voltage. you;re much safer using a 7.4 volt pack.
TueLe is offline Find More Posts by TueLe
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2007, 12:10 PM
Registered User
mtfly2000's Avatar
washington
Joined Dec 2006
1,620 Posts
ditto. you musta been lied to cause 11.1v is too much! Do not continue to use it or you could damage your esc. get a 7.4v or buy a mamba system that can use 11.1v

I picked up a couple of these to use in mine, they perfectly https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=5551
mtfly2000 is offline Find More Posts by mtfly2000
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2007, 01:11 PM
Registered User
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jul 2007
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtfly2000
ditto. you musta been lied to cause 11.1v is too much! Do not continue to use it or you could damage your esc. get a 7.4v or buy a mamba system that can use 11.1v

I picked up a couple of these to use in mine, they perfectly https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=5551
Thanks guys...I knew it....thank god my ESC still works!!! Well at least I didn't get rip off big time, 22$ US including shipping from ebay.

Anyway, I am new to RC cars and I've heard about the brushless setup....what's the difference really other than the brushless are 10x faster (i'm exaggerating)?? Do they less like 10 years long than a brushed motor/setup? How long does a brushed motor/esc setup (stock) last anyway? So if I change to brushless I can use that 11.1 v 1100 mah 13C lipo battery?

But i've seen brushless setups are very expensive...and I am not sure how to install them. Would appreciated if you guys can tell me more. Thanks again!!!

FYI here is the link to the ebay lipo i bought:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWN:IT&ih=017
carrotcake is offline Find More Posts by carrotcake
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2007, 02:58 PM
Registered User
mtfly2000's Avatar
washington
Joined Dec 2006
1,620 Posts
http://www.b-p-p.com/products.php?cat=36 I would go for the 5400 motor so it won't drain as fast which could be bad for a 1100mah 14C battery.

Brushless systems need very little maintenance (everything is sealed up and no brushes to wear out), last a lot longer (when used within specs of course), go much faster, typically more efficient and the Mamba series is water-proof! (your radio reciever isn't though)

Installation is easy, grab a couple zip ties or double sided tape to mount the esc, screw the new motor in where the old one was and plug the new esc radio plug in where the old one went.
mtfly2000 is offline Find More Posts by mtfly2000
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2007, 07:50 PM
Registered User
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jul 2007
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtfly2000
http://www.b-p-p.com/products.php?cat=36 I would go for the 5400 motor so it won't drain as fast which could be bad for a 1100mah 14C battery.

Brushless systems need very little maintenance (everything is sealed up and no brushes to wear out), last a lot longer (when used within specs of course), go much faster, typically more efficient and the Mamba series is water-proof! (your radio reciever isn't though)

Installation is easy, grab a couple zip ties or double sided tape to mount the esc, screw the new motor in where the old one was and plug the new esc radio plug in where the old one went.
The Mamba 5400 Performance Combo you recommanded, does everything fit in the RC18T? Do I need a new motor mount for the brushless motor? Or I can use the stock one? Just tape the ESC and connect the receiver and motor that's it? That easy? If that's the case and everything in the combo fits in the RC18t that's Great!!
If I get this combo, do you have any recommandations for gearing ? ( Motor Pinion and Spur). I want speed yet enough torque/power (Greedy )

If everything is as what you mentioned above, the only things I would think of that I would need are: 1 female dean's connector (for the ESC), and 2 male deans connectors for my two 7.4vNiMH 1400 batteries (change the mini connectors NiMH batteries with my poor soldering skills). Or should I keep the mini connectors? How come whenever I see photos of other people's RC18T they all use Deans' connectors? what are the good things about Deans connectors?

I really appreciate all your help, the tips and links really helped me a lot on research and places I can buy stuff! I would never have found the link/hobby store you have above for a really decent price on these really good li-po batteries. Thanks again!
carrotcake is offline Find More Posts by carrotcake
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2007, 09:46 PM
Registered User
calvino's Avatar
Joined Aug 2007
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrotcake
The Mamba 5400 Performance Combo you recommanded, does everything fit in the RC18T? Do I need a new motor mount for the brushless motor? Or I can use the stock one? Just tape the ESC and connect the receiver and motor that's it? That easy? If that's the case and everything in the combo fits in the RC18t that's Great!!
If I get this combo, do you have any recommandations for gearing ? ( Motor Pinion and Spur). I want speed yet enough torque/power (Greedy )

If everything is as what you mentioned above, the only things I would think of that I would need are: 1 female dean's connector (for the ESC), and 2 male deans connectors for my two 7.4vNiMH 1400 batteries (change the mini connectors NiMH batteries with my poor soldering skills). Or should I keep the mini connectors? How come whenever I see photos of other people's RC18T they all use Deans' connectors? what are the good things about Deans connectors?

I really appreciate all your help, the tips and links really helped me a lot on research and places I can buy stuff! I would never have found the link/hobby store you have above for a really decent price on these really good li-po batteries. Thanks again!
ummmmmm, I don't think so, but am not fully sure, yeah, you were SUPER lucky that the ESC didn't catch fire..... due to over voltaging it
calvino is offline Find More Posts by calvino
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2007, 12:31 AM
Registered User
mtfly2000's Avatar
washington
Joined Dec 2006
1,620 Posts
yeah all those combos will mount right onto your current motor mount. The ESC is actually smaller than the stock one. the 5600 should be able to use the same pinion too. You'll always have the torque available with Brushless as long as you have the amps from your battery. You'll want to check it during your run and make sure the pack is not getting hot, if it is then buy a pinion with fewer teeth or don't use that battery. Deans are one of the best out there and they are the best to make as your standard connector. The combos really are just plug and play, real easy! BTW, soldering skills usually improve with purchace of Craftsman or Weller higher wattage soldering iron!
mtfly2000 is offline Find More Posts by mtfly2000
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2007, 12:54 PM
Registered User
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jul 2007
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtfly2000
yeah all those combos will mount right onto your current motor mount. The ESC is actually smaller than the stock one. the 5600 should be able to use the same pinion too. You'll always have the torque available with Brushless as long as you have the amps from your battery. You'll want to check it during your run and make sure the pack is not getting hot, if it is then buy a pinion with fewer teeth or don't use that battery. Deans are one of the best out there and they are the best to make as your standard connector. The combos really are just plug and play, real easy! BTW, soldering skills usually improve with purchace of Craftsman or Weller higher wattage soldering iron!
hey mtfly2000, Thanks for the help !
carrotcake is offline Find More Posts by carrotcake
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2007, 09:03 PM
Registered User
mtfly2000's Avatar
washington
Joined Dec 2006
1,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrotcake
hey mtfly2000, Thanks for the help !
No Problem!
mtfly2000 is offline Find More Posts by mtfly2000
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2007, 11:20 PM
Registered User
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jul 2007
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtfly2000
ditto. you musta been lied to cause 11.1v is too much! Do not continue to use it or you could damage your esc. get a 7.4v or buy a mamba system that can use 11.1v

I picked up a couple of these to use in mine, they perfectly https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=5551

Hey mtfly2000, I was looking at the spec for the 7.4v lipo you mentioned https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=5551 - does it actually fits in your RC18T ? Size: 102x35x14mm (including cell spacers for ventilation) - the Width "35mm" seems a little too wide for it to fit in stock RC18T. Did you had to do any modifications?
carrotcake is offline Find More Posts by carrotcake
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2007, 12:22 AM
Registered User
mtfly2000's Avatar
washington
Joined Dec 2006
1,620 Posts
no it fits... barely. You have to point the wires to the outside and up which can cause a little buldge in the body though. It is a bit thin, but it will stay in there with the body on.
mtfly2000 is offline Find More Posts by mtfly2000
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2007, 04:09 PM
Registered User
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jul 2007
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtfly2000
no it fits... barely. You have to point the wires to the outside and up which can cause a little buldge in the body though. It is a bit thin, but it will stay in there with the body on.
Mtfly2000, I was planning to buy the Reedy Mini Mod 17T motor with the 12T pinion suggested by Team Associated. But the problem is it's such a pain to find the 21136 screw sets to mount the Reedy motor.

For the mamba 5400 combo (I am really really really thinking about getting it...at times just 1 click away! -> they ain't cheap!) Do you need to buy special mounting screws for that motor? The Bipshop Power site stated to use 16T - 19T pinion with 58 spur gear.....I was thinking of what you said above using the ones I have right now- 14T pinion and 60T spur....do you know what's the difference? would it have a big effect on performance? if so then should i get the 16T and a new 58 spur gear or the stock 14T and 60T spur is fine? Because if I were to order, I would want to order everything at once...to save shipping cost.

My RC18T is only 2.5 months old.....which upgrade do you think i should invest in?

Oh by the way, do you really need a heat sink for the XPS stock speed controller for the RC18T? I saw one avaiable for 3 bucks.

I am ready to solder! Bought the deans connectors already!! And planning to buy some 7.4v Lipos for my Kyosho Lazer Zx-5 ready set as well! (on the way now to my house!)

My blood starts to boil when I saw some of the RC18T youtube videos with mamba brushless upgrade...dont' know if they were 5400 , 8000 or whatever but they were fast!!!! - And I do indeed like your suggestions on getting the 5400 because it doesnt' drain batteries as much , pretty well balanced? Speed isn't always everything..your setup should be nice and balanced. I saw some RC18T videos , yeah they were Super Fast...like 50 - 60 mph + but they can't even take off properly or do full throttle much because they little car is so damn fast it flips over when going to fast or taking off too fast.
carrotcake is offline Find More Posts by carrotcake
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2007, 06:54 PM
Registered User
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jul 2007
722 Posts
Well I think everybody is tired of seeing my newbie questions here by now.... I have just bought the Mamba 5400 Performance Combo and 3 LM Loong max 1800 2S1P 20C Lipo packs.

I still want to know if anybody has recommendations on gearing for the 5400 power setup? Do you need alum. gears? (The plastic ones will wear out too quick?)
carrotcake is offline Find More Posts by carrotcake
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2007, 11:37 PM
Registered User
mtfly2000's Avatar
washington
Joined Dec 2006
1,620 Posts
It sounds like B-P-P recommends gearing it higher. I suggested the 5400 so you should be able to use your 11.1v batt you already bought. You do realize the 7.4v won't be as fast? The problem with the RC18's is the differentials. Buy MIP brand Diff or spool if you want them locked. Mine is spooled on all fours which is great for crawling *not* so good for high speed.
mtfly2000 is offline Find More Posts by mtfly2000
Last edited by mtfly2000; Dec 05, 2007 at 01:01 AM. Reason: to add the word "not"
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion E-sky 11.1v lipo on a stock e-flite charger schne564 Batteries and Chargers 0 Aug 28, 2007 01:32 AM
Wanted 11.1V Lipo 2100mah 20c with balance sircrashesallot Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 7 Mar 06, 2007 03:26 AM
Poll GWS IPS motor with 11.1V Lipo bamm Power Systems 33 Oct 20, 2006 03:41 PM
Sold Apogee 1570 11.1v lipo with freebie!! JRW21 Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 2 Mar 02, 2006 10:23 PM
Formosa on a 400C with 11.1V LiPO's? raynet11 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 9 Sep 28, 2005 12:13 AM