HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2010, 09:17 AM
Slope Stud
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined May 2001
2,257 Posts
Good video Ray, looking forward to seeing the Rotor in action.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear it was going 62 mph.

Oranator
ORANATOR is offline Find More Posts by ORANATOR
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2010, 01:25 PM
2 Build or not 2 build???
Solana Beach, CA
Joined Jul 2008
551 Posts
Yesterday

Very fun flying at B.V. yesterday. Very good conditions and a herd of regulars and not so regulars. Aris and Opus flew great with safe landings every time (even my errant stint to the north which could have been disastrous).

We left B.V. a little early for my taste ( I think Eddie had to get home to the little woman for a Barry Manilow concert or something ). So since I didn't have my "fill" of flying, I made the trek to Dave's. Conditions were great and no other planes in the air. Neil and Chip were just finishing up, so I had the place to myself. Only challenge was landing my prized Opus (I'm not so skilled with "target landings" in cross-winds). I say target, because it seems the safest spot for the underside of a "non-foam" fuse is the ice plant. I nailed it twice. Safe Opus and great flying. My confidence in Dave's (and myself) is renewed.

Jim
jrbike is offline Find More Posts by jrbike
Old Nov 29, 2010, 01:48 PM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,253 Posts
Nice double-header Jim! I had a mini-SD slopin' safari too... started out at Torrey where there was another small herd of slopers with some nice lookin' planes. Some had been out since the crack o' dawn and others were just showing up. Scale planes, F3F planes, a big ol' Shark, etc...
Then I headed up to Blossom for some real OG jackassery with the whole posse and more. That was some of the funnest flying I've had out in the valley for some time... the kind of flying where the sky is the limit, literally. I had the NYX F3F specked out and screamin' with some front side dives over 100mph and the Erwin was lovin' some small-time DS.
A great day to go out and play, I might say.

-James
wr_mizzard is online now Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old Nov 29, 2010, 03:02 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbike View Post
( I think Eddie had to get home to the little woman for a Barry Manilow concert or something ). Jim
Sounds like Torrey and BV was the place to fly glass Sunday

Barry Manilow over sloping??? Who wears the pants at Eddies place....

I shouldnt talk much, I had to watch the kids most of the weekend as the Moms went to a Spa and wine-tasting weekend.

My slope safari sunday was 4.5 miles, 2 to the beach and 2.5 back. Had to buy some wood filler for the tubo/savaron.... (tuvaron/savabo - got to someupwith a name).
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by rockbus; Nov 29, 2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 04:48 PM
Jim in San Diego
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
4,090 Posts
Jeebus Ray. I hope you're getting a few porch passes for that!

Had fun Saturday with Greg building a bit and then on Sunday flying a bit. Good to hear so many of us got in some good flying. Let's keep hoping for more.

Jim
Pismo is offline Find More Posts by Pismo
Old Nov 29, 2010, 05:35 PM
Posse Member
Joined Jun 2009
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbike View Post

We left B.V. a little early for my taste ( I think Eddie had to get home to the little woman for a Barry Manilow concert or something ).

Jim

No concert Jim. Still a little under the weather. The windy cold top of Blossom was wearing on my ills. I had not been up there for almost 3 months so I wanted to revisit it for a bit.....
Eddie.C is offline Find More Posts by Eddie.C
Last edited by Eddie.C; Nov 29, 2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 08:34 PM
Joined Dec 2007
234 Posts
Glad to hear you guys got some. Life got in the way, then out of the way, then back in the way... I'm Thankful I made it to Laguna this week. ..and 0.5 hours at Dave's yesterday. Tis the season. Charge 'em up...

MM
Also thankful for new jobs...and fresh starts... w h e w . .. . . . .
Mojo Libre is offline Find More Posts by Mojo Libre
Old Nov 29, 2010, 09:55 PM
I want to believe
Joined Jan 2002
921 Posts
Torrey was outstanding yesterday. When I arrived at 6:45am, Phil was already in the air ripping it up with the Big Ceres. It was pretty impressive, the winds were gusting to near 30. I got in some really fun flights with the the Opus and the the venerable Karl Malden (Acacia II) We got really spoiled having the sky completely to ourselves for at least an hour in the huge air!

Then Phil brought out the Shark XL. I launched her and she was away into the lift. After a few minutes of checkout mild flying, Phil soon had her ripping up and down the coast. It flew sweet!

Here's a picture of the happy owner and his new toy...

Yeah, it's big.

Finally, everybody else woke up and showed up. There was an impressive collection of killer machines tearing up the slope, and getting some "office time"

All in all, a killer day. We were surprised that more of you guys weren't there!

Marty
mdine1us is offline Find More Posts by mdine1us
Old Nov 29, 2010, 11:44 PM
Jim in San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
4,090 Posts
Congrats on the new job Mojo? Good for you if so!

Marty, sounds like getting up early pays off. I would have loved to join you guys out there but can't forget Poway and have to show up every once in a while just to keep the neighbors on their toes. That Shark is impressive. Hope to see Phil tearing it up with it soon.

Jim
Pismo is offline Find More Posts by Pismo
Old Nov 30, 2010, 02:53 AM
Just Toss It !!!
Joined May 2004
5,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdine1us View Post
All in all, a killer day. We were surprised that more of you guys weren't there!

Marty
I didn't get the notice......I guess I'm not on The List...

Matin
had to work......but would have gone.
MATIN is online now Find More Posts by MATIN
Old Nov 30, 2010, 06:51 AM
I want to believe
Joined Jan 2002
921 Posts
No notice required. If the wind's blowing big, Torrey is the place to be. Get thee over there and fun will be had! There's nothing like it when the wind is too big for the para-pillows and hanggliders.
mdine1us is offline Find More Posts by mdine1us
Old Nov 30, 2010, 09:46 AM
Posse Board member
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
402 Posts
Think Im headed to Blossom, Happened to come across my good friends old JART ,seeing as Im equipment challanged I decided to throw some gear in her ,Boy o boy what fun ,decided to take her out one more time then returning her to rightful owner. will be on the darkside ch#29
sean
trip1dog is offline Find More Posts by trip1dog
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:56 AM
Joined Apr 2007
981 Posts
***Shark XL maiden at Torrey Pines in light wind 11-28-10***

***Shark XL maiden at Torrey Pines in light wind 11-28-10***

Ok, I got this thing in the air finally. Here is some really raw footage. Skip the firts 30 seconds because all I doing is climbing. The video came out a bit rough the guys did the best they could. The wind had dropped off by the time I got this thing in the air with ballast. What a plane though! In 20-30MPH winds at 19LBS AUW it will be very fun. Here is the Youtube link.

M2U00608 (2 min 53 sec)

Phil
Phil Davy is offline Find More Posts by Phil Davy
Last edited by Phil Davy; Nov 30, 2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:03 PM
2 Build or not 2 build???
Solana Beach, CA
Joined Jul 2008
551 Posts
Shark Maiden

Very nice Phil. Wish that I'd been there to witness the maiden. I hope that you will actually hold on to this one and fly the snot out of it. And maybe you will move up to something other than leaves for tightening up the ballast.

Well done, my friend.
jrbike is offline Find More Posts by jrbike
Old Nov 30, 2010, 01:06 PM
On the banana boat
San Diego,Montgomery
Joined Oct 2004
847 Posts
Phil,
Keep that one! She sure covers alot of real-estate in a short time.
Throne is offline Find More Posts by Throne