Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:09 AM
Original Jackass
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2008
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbflyer
Going Blossom tomorow after work.
I might try getting to Blossom tomorrow as well. However, I don't have a 4WD. Maybe we could meet at the bottom of the hill and I could hitch a ride up with you? I'll PM you with my cell number.
Alex May is offline Find More Posts by Alex May
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:07 AM
Sloping the Financial Cliff
USA, CA, Santee
Joined Oct 2007
2,463 Posts
I got a Accord coupe, looks like we can hike together
fcbflyer is offline Find More Posts by fcbflyer
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:37 AM
S.L.O.P.E.
San Diego
Joined May 2005
3,490 Posts
any one heading up to Garfield this afternoon? assuming the rain quits and wind stays strong and from the south.

Greg (who has the day off and a new JW60 to maiden)
howsthewind is offline Find More Posts by howsthewind
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:45 AM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsthewind
any one heading up to Garfield this afternoon? assuming the rain quits and wind stays strong and from the south.

Greg (who has the day off and a new JW60 to maiden)
I was tossing the idea around... depends when I can "go surfing" and battle my way back up from La Jolla

I'll give you a call when I head out.

-James
wr_mizzard is offline Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old Feb 22, 2008, 01:39 PM
S.L.O.P.E.
San Diego
Joined May 2005
3,490 Posts
sounds good- still raining here in Cardiff. Might have to break out the 72" LEG Fox kit and get busy! Of course, I'm inside nice and cozy with a hot cup of Starbucks! so good luck with that! Maybe I'll doink around and fix up the turbo. need to take a picture of the damage first

Quote:
Originally Posted by wr_mizzard
I was tossing the idea around... depends when I can "go surfing" and battle my way back up from La Jolla

I'll give you a call when I head out.

-James
howsthewind is offline Find More Posts by howsthewind
Old Feb 22, 2008, 03:30 PM
Sloping the Financial Cliff
USA, CA, Santee
Joined Oct 2007
2,463 Posts
raining at Blossom too. Wind seems a bit south.

Does Blossom work with sw to wsw winds?
fcbflyer is offline Find More Posts by fcbflyer
Old Feb 22, 2008, 03:43 PM
Is it DS'able?
Joined Feb 2007
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbflyer
raining at Blossom too. Wind seems a bit south.

Does Blossom work with sw to wsw winds?

I've been meaning to tell you guys that Blossom doesn't work so well on the SW WSW. W NW works better.

Greg-must be nice,
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsthewind
I'm inside nice and cozy with a hot cup of Starbucks
I just sat through an hour and a half of lab meeting. At least there was lunch and it's still raining.

-James
Old Feb 22, 2008, 05:22 PM
Original Jackass
Joined Feb 2008
1,934 Posts
I'm not sure if this is accessible or not, but just from looking at it on google earth it looks to be suitable for south winds. It's got a whole range of areas for even wsw all the way to wnw.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:22 PM
Escondido, California
Joined Sep 2007
145 Posts
I am heading to hodges.. Maybe check out Daves Beach
EscoFlier is offline Find More Posts by EscoFlier
Old Feb 23, 2008, 12:05 AM
Is it DS'able?
Joined Feb 2007
2,260 Posts
Dave's Beach 2/22/08-Video

Here's the onboard video from Dave's Beach this afternoon. I had lots of fun flying with everyone today. The wind was great all afternoon, 10-20mph and more or less straight on.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...01&postcount=5

-James
Old Feb 23, 2008, 03:57 AM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
For those of you that want to take advantage of the storm weather, I'd take a trip out to horse canyon sunday. It's a bit of a drive, but delivers far more lift than the more local sites lift poway and blossom.

It's about twice as high and steep as blossom, and should see 25-30mph winds with gusts to 50. Should be pretty awesome.

There's just one caveat; there is nasty rotor over the LZ so you have to fly a ways out to get into the good air. The landings are interesting, but if you cut back to the LZ with lots of energy and land fast you should be good. If you come in slow, you will hit wind shear and be picking up pieces almost every time. I've only been there a few times, but every time at least one person comes in slow only to get their airplane smashed into the rocks when the shear takes away their airspeed.

--Alex
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:16 AM
Escondido, California
Joined Sep 2007
145 Posts
James
Does the Zagi fly any different with the "New Stuff"?

-Bryan
EscoFlier is offline Find More Posts by EscoFlier
Old Feb 23, 2008, 11:33 AM
Is it DS'able?
Joined Feb 2007
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscoFlier
James
Does the Zagi fly any different with the "New Stuff"?

-Bryan
It seems faster without all the draggy wrinkles scuffs and scrapes the normal covering seemed to accumulate after a few outings. The AUW increased some which is nice for stronger wind but it's not a "light" wind plane much anymore. It was almost keeping up with some uber moths and JW's at Dave's beach yesterday... and if it couldn't keep up it tried knocking them down

Another difference is that it's a little more tail heavy now 'cause I covered the elevons with the NEW STUFF and I've been taping some lead to the nose so that probably messes with the airflow some. If I feel like it sometime, I'll take those elevons off and replace them with some standard tape covered ones and see if it makes a difference.

raptor22: Horse Canyon is a tempting offer, unfortunately I crashed the mini Salto at Dave's Beach yesterday and my quiver is not that exciting for such a trek. I've flown there once... it was lighter wind and I was maidening a tail heavy bird so it wasn't the best experience. Maybe I'll scrap some planes together and join you if it's not storming like mad.

-James
Old Feb 23, 2008, 11:41 AM
Original Jackass
Joined Feb 2008
1,934 Posts
I'm thinking that Horse Canyon would be too strong for my Weasel, so unless you guys think otherwise I probably won't head out there. I've never flown it in winds that strong before so I'm not sure. Where exactly is it anyways? I did some searching on Google and was able to come up with this picture on google earth...
Old Feb 23, 2008, 12:00 PM
Is it DS'able?
Joined Feb 2007
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosta
I'm thinking that Horse Canyon would be too strong for my Weasel, so unless you guys think otherwise I probably won't head out there. I've never flown it in winds that strong before so I'm not sure. Where exactly is it anyways? I did some searching on Google and was able to come up with this picture on google earth...

That's pretty much it dude... you're gettin' good at the Google Earth slope finding

I was totally checking out that hill you posted about... the one above Gillespie field. It looks like there's all kinds of hiking access... what about the road on the east side that goes up to the house on the south end of the hill. I bet it has a gate. The western slope just below the house looks the steepest for SW winds.
Maybe go check it out today or tomorrow?

-James