SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 07, 2009, 12:20 AM
San Diego, Ca
Joined Oct 2007
489 Posts
Well the confines of the area and the crowds of people and cars really mean that smaller, lighter foamie slopwers or slow flyers are best. Or other small light power craft that can get away from the slope.

It's true that people bring e-jets and hotliners there. I've flown my hotliner there as well. But eyes are starting to zoom in on that spot and it seems like it would be best to keep the size and power of the crafts there small, I won't be bringing my hotliner there any more. Dave's is proably one spectacular crash on the beach near or on a beach goer or on the road away from being closed along with the rest of carlsbad. I personally don't want to be the person that causes that

I don't think anyone has any actual athority there other than the city or county (I certainly don't!) so anyone is free to fly what they want for the time being, but just keep i mind the situation of the flying area and be careful
LAdams is offline Find More Posts by LAdams
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Decals!
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2009, 12:29 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Okay, I think Carlsbad city council is just stupid. Not allowing modelers to enjoy their hobby?! I'm CERTAIN that each of them have a hobby. What if their hobby has been banned?
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Oct 07, 2009, 12:32 AM
San Diego, Ca
Joined Oct 2007
489 Posts
It's the sad sad condition spreading across every city in the county. Several other cities don't allow flying of any RC craft anywhere in city limits.

It's SO EASY to just ban it than deal with it.

Sigh...
LAdams is offline Find More Posts by LAdams
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Decals!
Old Oct 07, 2009, 12:35 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
If it were me living in a city where RC is banned, I would still fly.

And I have also flown in San Diego city multiple times in front of police. They don't seem to care.

Also, anyone have any experience with the Tower Hobbies Vista? I was contemplating getting one..
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Oct 07, 2009, 12:49 AM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnicomps
Hello RCG slopers
I live in Oceanside CA. and I have grown up on the Carlsbad beaches. I see a few guys flying just south of the power plant and I must say it looks like fun. I fly powered planes atm but I have been thinking of getting into flying slope. I picked up a Salto HB-1232 2.6-meter Radio Controlled Sailplane from a friend of mine and have been thinking of putting it together. I am not sure if this plane is good for the Carlsbad slopes for a beginner. The last time I was there I saw some one bringing up what looked like a hotliner. I was leaving and didn't get a chance to see it fly but I assume people fly hotliners there. I really got a kick out of one of the gliders that looked like a white bird. Any help or advice on sloping would be much apriciated

The Slato 2.6 m might be a bit big for Little Beach (Dave's) Its not a problem of flying if there is wind, its the landing. There is a rotor on the bluff and a nice plane like that might get damaged. If the wind is light it should be no problem. You could also land on the beach.

I'd suggest you start with a EPP wing or a multiplex glider. The landings will be cross winds most of the time so you might as well beat up an EPP plane before you fly a crunchie.

Come down Saturday for the CR Fest (See the sticky)
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2009, 01:01 AM
Jim in San Diego
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
4,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbflyer
There was a Crazy guy up there in shorts and T-shirt. Or maybe he is just tougher than the rest
Crazy? Heh. That's Dan who just got back from winter down under and it was probably toasty up here
Pismo is offline Find More Posts by Pismo
Old Oct 07, 2009, 01:30 AM
Slope Stud
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined May 2001
2,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcronkhite
Nope.. I don't. I'm about to start cutting a couple of Rotor kits for myself though. Not for sale.. just for my own personal use. I had a couple of Ken's kits years ago but splattered them all over Torrey doing really dumb things..

Rotor...
I am fumbling thru the same thing now. I have a wood Rotor kit and was thinking of the same thing but decided to go for the glass build party instead.

Rotor..Mold, Build and fly thread

Here is the history behind the name "Dave's Beach"
Dave Kellogg April 5, 1948 - October 18, 2006 RIP

Oranator
ORANATOR is offline Find More Posts by ORANATOR
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2009, 01:54 AM
Team JR
San Diego
Joined Feb 2002
1,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORANATOR
Rotor...
I am fumbling thru the same thing now. I have a wood Rotor kit and was thinking of the same thing but decided to go for the glass build party instead.

Rotor..Mold, Build and fly thread

Here is the history behind the name "Dave's Beach"
Dave Kellogg April 5, 1948 - October 18, 2006 RIP

Oranator
Nice! I could be interested in helping out with the build process. I built probably 3 Rotors over the years, as well as a Zulu, and the only ME-163 Komet of his I ever saw down here..

I'm still REALLY upset I never pulled the trigger on a Xica or a V-Max Plus.
Doug Cronkhite is offline Find More Posts by Doug Cronkhite
Old Oct 07, 2009, 09:49 AM
Carlsbad, Ca
Joined Mar 2007
3,081 Posts
Speaking of Dave's Beach and The City of Carlsbad

Just got this forwarded Email notice from Carlsbad Parks & Rec of their next Commision Mtg 10/19 and intent to discuss The City's proposal on RC Vehicle use within the City, prior to taking a recommendation to The City Council. Indications are that they favor a Torrey type set-up, AMA and Club membership, with flier certification and limited number of planes in use, at Dave's Beach. This is in addition to there existing ban on all RC Vehicle activity within City Parks.

All interested parties should plan to attend this Mtg

Sent: Oct 6, 2009 2:43 PM
To: Gus Calderon
Subject: Important: Save the Date Notice. Radio Controlled Aircraft Discussion at Parks and Recreation Commission Meeting

Gus:

After speaking with the Deputy City Manager, I was advised today that the matter of radio controlled aircraft in parks must first be discussed with the Parks and Recreation Commission prior to taking the issue to the Carlsbad City Council. The Commission will review the options and then make their recommendation to the City Council for their consideration.

The next meeting of the Parks and Recreation Commission is Monday, October 19, 2009 at Calavera Hills Community Center, 2997 Glasgow Drive, Carlsbad, 92008, 760-602-4680, at 5:30 p.m.

I will be making a brief presentation, and you will have the opportunity to speak to the Commission as well. Please pass this information along to members of the Carlsbad Electric Flyers and any other parties that you think would be interested as well.

I will get you a draft copy of the Commission agenda bill for your review and comment shortly.

Mick
chip.greely is online now Find More Posts by chip.greely
Last edited by chip.greely; Oct 07, 2009 at 01:06 PM. Reason: edit
Old Oct 07, 2009, 01:54 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip.greely
Just got this forwarded Email notice from Carlsbad Parks & Rec of their next Commision Mtg 10/19 and intent to discuss The City's proposal on RC Vehicle use within the City, prior to taking a recommendation to The City Council. Indications are that they favor a Torrey type set-up, AMA and Club membership, with flier certification and limited number of planes in use, at Dave's Beach. This is in addition to there existing ban on all RC Vehicle activity within City Parks.

All interested parties should plan to attend this Mtg

Sent: Oct 6, 2009 2:43 PM
To: Gus Calderon
Subject: Important: Save the Date Notice. Radio Controlled Aircraft Discussion at Parks and Recreation Commission Meeting

Gus:

After speaking with the Deputy City Manager, I was advised today that the matter of radio controlled aircraft in parks must first be discussed with the Parks and Recreation Commission prior to taking the issue to the Carlsbad City Council. The Commission will review the options and then make their recommendation to the City Council for their consideration.

The next meeting of the Parks and Recreation Commission is Monday, October 19, 2009 at Calavera Hills Community Center, 2997 Glasgow Drive, Carlsbad, 92008, 760-602-4680, at 5:30 p.m.

I will be making a brief presentation, and you will have the opportunity to speak to the Commission as well. Please pass this information along to members of the Carlsbad Electric Flyers and any other parties that you think would be interested as well.

I will get you a draft copy of the Commission agenda bill for your review and comment shortly.

Mick
Chip

I'll give Turko a call...

But in all seriousness what are the the options being proposed for the "Commission" to review? (re The Commission will review the options and then make their recommendation to the City Council for their consideration.) and who is making the options?

I plan to attend. Who is representing the glider pilots at Dave's? I dont think Gus should speak for us. If no one then I'll make my comments at the meeting. If others are attending we should talk so we have a common message.

If few slopers are attending, maybe a petition/signature showing support for the bluff at the CR Fest would be useful.

I think the parks should be separate from the bluff in my opionion. The bluff is a unique situation with the topology a major factor.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2009, 03:24 PM
2 Build or not 2 build???
Solana Beach, CA
Joined Jul 2008
551 Posts
In some ways I would view this as good news. At least we may have the opportunity to organize and protect our rights to use the Bluff. On the downside, it doesn't seem right that the electirc flyers club should be the group to organize. Maybe we need to form a club? Would it make sense to get the T.P. Gulls involved? I don't know, just thoughts.

In any event, I would be happy to join you Ray at the meeting. We should have a singular message/point of view and I can't imagine that a petition would be a bad idea (to show the numbers affected by any decision being made).

Do we have any Attorneys among us who might be better prepared for this effort?
jrbike is offline Find More Posts by jrbike
Old Oct 07, 2009, 03:54 PM
Carlsbad, Ca
Joined Mar 2007
3,081 Posts
The Turko-meister,...oh no

Mick has a position paper with proposals that he will be presenting at the Meeting. I'm getting a copy of it, but believe it has 4 options 1) stay as is 2) rescend the ban 3) allow Electrics at a designated Park and require Club and AMA membership for both this Park and Dave's Beach users and 4) ammend current CMC to allow use of Electrics at Park's Baseball Fields, with prohibited use on Astro Turf fileds.

Out of those working with The City, I am the Dave's Beach user.

Both more people showing up and presenting a petition are good ideas.

I sincerely believe the City's actions were purely based on repeated complaints from a very select few, that in light of no opposition lead them to an easy fix, Ban RC Activity

The City has determined that they own the top of the Bluff, to the road at Dave's and are painting with a large brush
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbus
Chip

I'll give Turko a call...

But in all seriousness what are the the options being proposed for the "Commission" to review? (re The Commission will review the options and then make their recommendation to the City Council for their consideration.) and who is making the options?

I plan to attend. Who is representing the glider pilots at Dave's? I dont think Gus should speak for us. If no one then I'll make my comments at the meeting. If others are attending we should talk so we have a common message.

If few slopers are attending, maybe a petition/signature showing support for the bluff at the CR Fest would be useful.

I think the parks should be separate from the bluff in my opionion. The bluff is a unique situation with the topology a major factor.
chip.greely is online now Find More Posts by chip.greely
Old Oct 07, 2009, 05:38 PM
Joined Aug 2008
490 Posts
I know that the city of Carlsbad is not going to take a chance with any thing that can hurt some one. Take the ban on surfing in the afternoon at the army and navy academy for example. I still remember running up the 3 flights of stairs to avoid getting a ticket. To many people that lived in the homes on the beach near the army and navy academy complained about the surfers hitting the swimmers and then boom there was a law. I think if you try to show them that its a harmless piece of foam then they will be more likely to allow the use of gliders on the beach. IMHO I think that only foam gliders should be on that bluff anyways. Is there a reason that it's called "Dave's" beach? I have heard a few names for that area most of them are surfer names , Turnarounds, Taramar, Old mans.
omnicomps is offline Find More Posts by omnicomps
Old Oct 07, 2009, 07:17 PM
Solana Beach, CA
Joined Jul 2008
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnicomps
I know that the city of Carlsbad is not going to take a chance with any thing that can hurt some one. Take the ban on surfing in the afternoon at the army and navy academy for example. I still remember running up the 3 flights of stairs to avoid getting a ticket. To many people that lived in the homes on the beach near the army and navy academy complained about the surfers hitting the swimmers and then boom there was a law. I think if you try to show them that its a harmless piece of foam then they will be more likely to allow the use of gliders on the beach. IMHO I think that only foam gliders should be on that bluff anyways. Is there a reason that it's called "Dave's" beach? I have heard a few names for that area most of them are surfer names , Turnarounds, Taramar, Old mans.
For explanation as to whey we call it "Dave's Beach" see post #3202 above for link with history.

I'm glad Chip is heading up the effort and not the Electric guys (nothing against electrics). I move that we spend some time Saturday at CR Fest talking about a strategy and enlisting volunteers to attend the meeting.
Old Oct 07, 2009, 07:19 PM
Solana Beach, CA
Joined Jul 2008
551 Posts
Save "Dave's Beach" thread

Chip, what do you think about starting a new thread to gather support for Dave's Beach?