HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2009, 10:39 AM
Sloping the Financial Cliff
USA, CA, Santee
Joined Oct 2007
2,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojoslopia

James, does your Subaru make it up there? If you says yes, I'm going to drive that Ford right off of Torrey Pines.

Mike
I did see that Subaru on top of the hill before.
fcbflyer is offline Find More Posts by fcbflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2009, 10:59 AM
Original Jackass
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2008
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbflyer
I did see that Subaru on top of the hill before.
However, it won't make it anymore... the trail has gotten worse since then and I had to take him up the hill last time. If the explorer is 4wd you shouldn't have any issues... you may have to gun it a bit to get past the area with concrete stuffed in it. Or you might try going up the side directly to the left of that. That is how I get my grand cherokee up... Not sure if you'd scrape running boards or not on that though.
Alex May is offline Find More Posts by Alex May
Old Sep 05, 2009, 06:55 PM
Once in a lifetime
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jan 2009
409 Posts
Point of the Mountain event next year Labor day weekend

Is anyone considering going up to this? I am interested to see all the planes and see this awesome soaring site. What would a caravan of so-cal slopers look like driving up to Salt Lake City? Or we could compare the costs of that vs taking a commercial flight.

Just a thought,

Daniel
danielphantom is offline Find More Posts by danielphantom
Old Sep 05, 2009, 11:52 PM
Joined Jan 2006
219 Posts
Oh my freakin lord.... you guys are to blame!!! HAHAHAHA!

Where to start... after that one innocent maiden/crash of my el cheapo scalie, then hanging out with you yahoos the rest of the afternoon... the slope bug bit me BAD! I had so much fun getting stick time with Chuck's Sophisticated Lady, and then picking all your brains, and everyone was so cool! In the last few pages, I saw another guy, who like me, was going to be down in San Diego, and everyone is so welcoming. Dale kept indulging me with more advice and Ray even offered to set me up with a Weasel to learn to fly!

Since then, after returning to LA, my room's turned into a hangar, and I've got seven gliders now, from a Zagi to a molded Mini Blade! Look what you made me do!?!?! Hahaha, awesome! Anyways, been having fun flying with some guys on here at Temple Hill. No longer a combat virgin anymore! Anyways, can't wait to get out flying with you guys, maybe very soon!

-----------

Oh, how was the first annual Moth Fest!? Matin? Sorry, couldn't make it down to SD last Saturday, but I'm sure ya'll had a blast!

-----------

Ray, stop talking about F3F/MoM/SCSR... oh my gawd. I need to get more stick time quick. I'd love to go run my moldie out with you guys at Bill's Hill or wherever. And I like the F3F format for my moldie, as I can barely afford my used/crashed/repaired one already. May have to get a foamie for some MoM action... though I prefer conventionals (flame-suit on!). Wonder if something like Steve Drake's G-V-60 can hold its own against all your planks...?

--------

Oooo... so Blossom is AWD only? Dang, only got a FWD family sedan. Will have to hitchhike one of these days when I'm graduate up to big air.

--------

So any more news after the meeting about Dave's Beach? If I can help in any way shoot me a PM/email. I'm subscribed to this thread, but for obvious reasons, don't check it as frequently.

---------

Jim,
Stop showing me new toys! Weasel, Alula, R2 Hobbies Fox, and now a $50 HLG?! Oh my.... Why do your planes grow on trees or have babies...? So lucky!

-------

Mizzard,
Sorry again for any perceived backpedaling. Just been on such a buying binge/spree that I (errr... my finances) finally said, hold on, you just flew a Zagi.... Anyways, thanks for being a good sport about it, and hope you have a wonderful trip through the Grand Canyon.
TweakRacer is offline Find More Posts by TweakRacer
Old Sep 06, 2009, 12:26 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Quote:
I went to Blossom on Thursday to check it out, as I too am a Blossom virgin. It was about 98 degrees and I wasn't about to walk up the hill with no promise of shade at the top.

I couldn't get the old Ford Exploder over that first hill (at the street). I am wondering if you guys are walking up there or is there another way around that first obstacle?

James, does your Subaru make it up there? If you says yes, I'm going to drive that Ford right off of Torrey Pines.

Mike
Usually you would take the entrance to the left. You gotta get up it in 4WD though. It's more Jeep friendly than SUV friendly, unless you've got no running boards, or higher suspension
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Sep 06, 2009, 01:05 AM
Just Toss It !!!
Joined May 2004
6,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielphantom
Is anyone considering going up to this? I am interested to see all the planes and see this awesome soaring site. What would a caravan of so-cal slopers look like driving up to Salt Lake City? Or we could compare the costs of that vs taking a commercial flight.

Just a thought,

Daniel
Soar Utah is my favorite event.
Louie and I usually fly out since he hates driving!
We just did a day trip up to Lake Isabella with Jim and it was tiring for an old geezer like me!
So not sure if I'd opt to drive next year......We'll see.

Matin
thinks Louie has a point.....
MATIN is online now Find More Posts by MATIN
Old Sep 06, 2009, 11:31 AM
Just some guy, you know?
San Diego, CA
Joined Oct 2008
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
Usually you would take the entrance to the left. You gotta get up it in 4WD though. It's more Jeep friendly than SUV friendly, unless you've got no running boards, or higher suspension
My friend's stock Nissan Titan made it up with no problem in 4WD,.. and of course his built Frontier never even knew we left the street.

My 1984 Toyota Tercell made it up the first obsticle, (it's FWD) but shortly after that I found ruts bigger than it's tires, so I turned around and went back.
I want to try again when there's someone around to pull me out if I get stuck though I bet I could do it.

Whiskey
Wiskey is offline Find More Posts by Wiskey
Old Sep 06, 2009, 12:58 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
^Oh, I'd love to see a Tercell make it up the blossom hill
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Sep 07, 2009, 02:44 AM
Once in a lifetime
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jan 2009
409 Posts
"new to me" the triffik a short vid in HD

I went out and maidened my Triffik that I got from a nice guy up at Fermin (thanks Gary)

Well I trimmed it all out balanced it and off we go.

Less than a dozen passes and I over controlled right into the weeds and assorted stuff on the bump. I'll have it flying soon, no damage to the wings or tail feathers, just have to do a slight bit of body work on the top where the tail mounts, and that's almost done now, can't wait to fly it again

little video of the triffik at the bump with a big bump at the end of the flight (5 min 28 sec)

I flew the turbo before the triffik and here's a little of that

Turbo at the bump on another great windy day (5 min 28 sec)

pretty lucky near the end since I stalled nose up downwind just before landing but had lots of altitude. The landing didn't damage it at all even though it landed out of sight just behind the top. Have to respect those winds

here's one of many ocelot vid's from the same day, if you want me to link them I can, but they're on youtube under my handle "autoxfer"

Part 1: The Ocelot out at the bump again with great air 180 at 12-15 gusting to 18 (5 min 28 sec)

another ocelot vid I enjoy Gilbert's periodic commentary (videographer)

Part 3: ocelot from 9/4/09 (5 min 28 sec)

Daniel

ps. couldn't but tell I was a bit nervous at the moment of launch, have to get over that indecision stuff
danielphantom is offline Find More Posts by danielphantom
Last edited by danielphantom; Sep 07, 2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2009, 10:21 AM
Carlsbad, Ca
Joined Mar 2007
3,165 Posts
Daniel,

It's a good day when flying your Ocelot turns into Plan B.

Looks like the Bump terrain is less than friendly,....good thing you have a flat LZ, on top.

Chip
chip.greely is offline Find More Posts by chip.greely
Old Sep 08, 2009, 02:39 PM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,267 Posts
Quote:
I went to Blossom on Thursday to check it out, as I too am a Blossom virgin. It was about 98 degrees and I wasn't about to walk up the hill with no promise of shade at the top.

I couldn't get the old Ford Exploder over that first hill (at the street). I am wondering if you guys are walking up there or is there another way around that first obstacle?

Mike
I was out there Thursday PM too... didn't see you though. You must've been there earlier. I don't take the Subaru up anymore, as Alex said. It's just to hard on my car that I depend on to get me to all the places I go I could still make it, but it's a nail biter with the low ground clearance.

ALEX!!! Where's the video of the Erwin at the DS spot (aka Horny Toad Hill)? Then again, if you put it up here everyone is gonna' want to go DS there

-James
who spent the weekend at the edge of a very long 6000' cliff
wr_mizzard is offline Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old Sep 08, 2009, 02:54 PM
Original Jackass
Joined Feb 2008
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wr_mizzard
ALEX!!! Where's the video of the Erwin at the DS spot (aka Horny Toad Hill)? Then again, if you put it up here everyone is gonna' want to go DS there
I'm uploading them to vimeo right now. Still not sure what to do with the other video from the tripod. The footage is kinda boring and it's too big for me to upload to vimeo raw (1.5 gb).
Old Sep 08, 2009, 03:21 PM
Posse Member
USA, CA, Coronado
Joined Dec 2008
568 Posts
Alex, what time are you going up? I'm setting myself up at work for the ol' "disappeero".
bretski is offline Find More Posts by bretski
Old Sep 08, 2009, 05:22 PM
Original Jackass
Joined Feb 2008
1,934 Posts
I'm just now starting to charge planes. Ran a little late this morning doing some errands so I'll probably get out of here around 3 or 3:30.