HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:29 PM
Posse Member
Joined Jun 2009
778 Posts
I was up in San Elijo a couple of weeks ago and found a possible great spot that has a strong wind and is up very high. I and just too new to this to determine the best place to do fly from. There is a park up on the top of a mountain. To get there from Dave's Beach you take Palomar airport Rd inland to Rancho Santa Fe Rd. Go south to San Elijo Rd. Go East to Double Peak go left. ( theres a light) drive all the way up til you get to the park. There are a few spot that the face of the Mt. seem like good spots. Maybe someone that is good at this can give better info???
Eddie.C is offline Find More Posts by Eddie.C
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:33 PM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip.greely
Hey James,

How close is this location to the High Tension power lines that cross the Canyon?
A little less than a 1/4 mile, maybe, as the crow flies. The lift dies off well before them though as the ridge turns south into a small canyon. Most of my flying was to the west of the knoll... and behind it

-James
wr_mizzard is offline Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:39 PM
Is it DS'able?
Joined Feb 2007
2,257 Posts
Planes for sale

I've got some planes for sale guys...

Whisper 2M

Super V

... and I'm willing to make a local's deal.

-James
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:55 PM
Sloping the Financial Cliff
USA, CA, Santee
Joined Oct 2007
2,456 Posts
Whisper looks interesting............................. but the wife looked at at my credit card bill for the first time in years
fcbflyer is offline Find More Posts by fcbflyer
Old Aug 31, 2009, 12:51 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
I'd gladly buy one James...

But I've been saving the cash for a six flags trip on tuesday

And since we're sharing 'secret' slope spots..
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Aug 31, 2009, 09:01 AM
Carlsbad, Ca
Joined Mar 2007
3,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle815
I was up in San Elijo a couple of weeks ago and found a possible great spot that has a strong wind and is up very high. I and just too new to this to determine the best place to do fly from. There is a park up on the top of a mountain. To get there from Dave's Beach you take Palomar airport Rd inland to Rancho Santa Fe Rd. Go south to San Elijo Rd. Go East to Double Peak go left. ( theres a light) drive all the way up til you get to the park. There are a few spot that the face of the Mt. seem like good spots. Maybe someone that is good at this can give better info???
Google doesn't seem to be updated, as I can't see a park site, but it certainly looks like there are plenty of slopes off Double Peak. What direction are the slopes facing?
chip.greely is offline Find More Posts by chip.greely
Old Aug 31, 2009, 09:45 AM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Sep 2005
129 Posts
I live only 3.0 miles (by trail) from Double Peak and I used to hike up there all the time before the road was built. Every time I hiked up there I thought to myself that I should have brought something to fly - now I am kicking myself for not having taken advantage of it before the construction.

Double peak has nice looking slopes in all 360, but there is also quite a bit of car traffic and pavement most everywhere that I would consider a good landing site. There is one exception, a long west-facing slope along the entrance road that has great potential, and there is a potentially good landing area on the other side of the road where they have leveled pads to build new homes. Although, like most slopes as soon as construction begins on the new homes you can kiss the slope goodbye.
MrAero is offline Find More Posts by MrAero
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:21 AM
Posse Member
Joined Jun 2009
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraero
I live only 3.0 miles (by trail) from Double Peak and I used to hike up there all the time before the road was built. Every time I hiked up there I thought to myself that I should have brought something to fly - now I am kicking myself for not having taken advantage of it before the construction.

Double peak has nice looking slopes in all 360, but there is also quite a bit of car traffic and pavement most everywhere that I would consider a good landing site. There is one exception, a long west-facing slope along the entrance road that has great potential, and there is a potentially good landing area on the other side of the road where they have leveled pads to build new homes. Although, like most slopes as soon as construction begins on the new homes you can kiss the slope goodbye.

I think it will be a while before they start to build up there.
Eddie.C is offline Find More Posts by Eddie.C
Old Aug 31, 2009, 02:44 PM
Carlsbad, Ca
Joined Mar 2007
3,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wr_mizzard
A little less than a 1/4 mile, maybe, as the crow flies. The lift dies off well before them though as the ridge turns south into a small canyon. Most of my flying was to the west of the knoll... and behind it

-James
Interesting,...I walked it today, just to check it out. So you're flying west of the High Tension lines but east of the Low ones??

On your map, where you have PARK HERE, I went further into the back of those Office Bldgs, behind the parking structure and there is a grass area leading right up to the canyon rim. It has a nice point with both west and north facing, but the High Tension lines are right out infront of the West Face. Should be OK for North Face,...worth a throw, anyway.
chip.greely is offline Find More Posts by chip.greely
Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:27 PM
Once in a lifetime
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jan 2009
370 Posts
Bill's Hill

Hey guys, I was looking at an old thread from 07 regarding some F3F racing up at Bill's hill. Have you guys done anything like that lately? those pix looked like you all were having a blast. I think Mark (freeglide) was instrumental in setting it up.

oh well, just thought I would throw that out there and see if anyone is interested. I saw that you did it back in May then, is spring better or could we do it in the fall?

Daniel
danielphantom is online now Find More Posts by danielphantom
Old Sep 01, 2009, 02:19 PM
S.L.O.P.E.
San Diego
Joined May 2005
3,474 Posts
trying to make lemonade out of lemons, but what's a likely plan if JIMENA hits and continues its course up Baja?

Is this a Laguna day or will it just be ripping on the coast?

Greg
howsthewind is offline Find More Posts by howsthewind
Last edited by howsthewind; Sep 01, 2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2009, 03:26 PM
Is it DS'able?
Joined Feb 2007
2,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielphantom
Hey guys, I was looking at an old thread from 07 regarding some F3F racing up at Bill's hill. Have you guys done anything like that lately? those pix looked like you all were having a blast. I think Mark (freeglide) was instrumental in setting it up.

oh well, just thought I would throw that out there and see if anyone is interested. I saw that you did it back in May then, is spring better or could we do it in the fall?

Daniel
I think what you were looking at there took place this year, back in May. That was a Southern California Slope Racing club F3F race. It doesn't look like any more races are scheduled up there this year... that was actually the first time they've done a F3F race there (as far as I know).
Mark (Freeglide), James (jduarte), David (dcortina), and myself have been attending the races this year and we, as noobies, totally need to practice. So, let us know when you would like to practice or we'll tell you when we plan on going out there and we can run some laps.
If you want to join one of the actual races, the next one is scheduled for Sep.19. Location is yet to be determined... maybe we can talk them into Bill's Hill!

http://www.socalsloperacing.com/

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post13010565

-James
Old Sep 01, 2009, 03:28 PM
Is it DS'able?
Joined Feb 2007
2,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsthewind
trying to make lemonade out of lemons, but what's a likely plan if JIMENA hits and continues its course up Baja?

Is this a Laguna day or will it just be ripping on the coast?

Greg
The Jury is still out on this one Gregodile...

-James
meteorologically minded
Old Sep 01, 2009, 04:14 PM
Once in a lifetime
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jan 2009
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wr_mizzard
I think what you were looking at there took place this year, back in May. That was a Southern California Slope Racing club F3F race. It doesn't look like any more races are scheduled up there this year... that was actually the first time they've done a F3F race there (as far as I know).
Mark (Freeglide), James (jduarte), David (dcortina), and myself have been attending the races this year and we, as noobies, totally need to practice. So, let us know when you would like to practice or we'll tell you when we plan on going out there and we can run some laps.
If you want to join one of the actual races, the next one is scheduled for Sep.19. Location is yet to be determined... maybe we can talk them into Bill's Hill!

http://www.socalsloperacing.com/

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post13010565

-James

I guess I didn't know that was an official event, I am very much a noobie myself and would enjoy getting some tips and doing something kinda informal to start out.

Daniel
danielphantom is online now Find More Posts by danielphantom
Old Sep 01, 2009, 05:09 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,411 Posts
Daniel,

You can sign up for any of the F3F races you dont have to know much about F3F to fly a race. Infact noobs get to race for free (first race) and they are all helpful. You can fly F3F with any plane.

If you want to get an idea of the race format look for a F3F vid on you tube or vimeo.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Multicopter News