HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2009, 10:52 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,499 Posts
Yeah. I gotta eat my words. I wound up emptying a few battery packs at the Sea Word field.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:09 PM
Original Jackass
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2008
1,934 Posts
Blossom was EPIC today! Wayy better than yesterday. We had a good solid 2 or 3 hours of absolutely phenomenal lift and DS conditions from about noon to 2 or 3 pm. I went to the DS spot and got even faster than I did yesterday, man I wish I had a radar gun on that plane! I was HAULING and the wings were flexing big time... I'm guessing about 100-110 was my fastest lap. It was moving faster than my blizzard at full throttle. This was during a long sustained gust that must have been upwards of 20-30 mph. I am so addicted to fully ballasted moth DS now. Got more video of me flying too.

James, I actually like to move down a little bit to a little outcrop of rocks and stand on it, and I do a left hand circuit entering on the big pad up top and punching out next to the outcrop in front of me. You'll see it in the video when I post it later. For now, I need to start uploading to my computer and take a shower. Nothin gets you more filthy than a full day at Blossom.
Alex May is offline Find More Posts by Alex May
Old Aug 29, 2009, 12:45 AM
San Diego North County
Del Mar
Joined Feb 2007
758 Posts
Alex has caught the DS addiction!

Mr. Robert
Mr. Robert is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Robert
Old Aug 29, 2009, 12:48 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Meanwhile I feel I'm slipping out of slope flying

Someone send me something to get back into it before I lose all interest! Or give me a ride out to Blossom.. (Alex? )
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Aug 29, 2009, 01:01 AM
Original Jackass
Joined Feb 2008
1,934 Posts
Here is the video from today... watch closely around 30 seconds in and you see I had to duck to avoid hitting myself... it was very close to me... over the antenna and about face level had I not ducked. Hahah and then I crashed at the very end... that was the only crash of the day. Yesterday I didn't crash at all. I'm gettin pretty good at this...

Blossom DS 8/28/09 (2 min 5 sec)
Alex May is offline Find More Posts by Alex May
Old Aug 29, 2009, 03:24 AM
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
^Niiiceee
Old Aug 30, 2009, 01:19 AM
Soaring in Sol Cal
San Diego, CA
Joined Jul 2007
266 Posts
The topic of a North / North West flying site came up today at the Moth Fest at Daves Beach today. Lopez canyon was mentioned, so I said I would upload directions since I have flown there twice.

The slope site faces approx 315 so a strong North / North West wind is needed. The hill is a large dry brush slope that is very steep in parts. Below you will find images of the location. Again, this slope needs north wind so Sept - Nov might give the best chance for flying.

The first time I flew there it was 18-20mph and great. The second time was only 8-10 and I landed about 100 feet down the hill. It took about 45 minutes to get the glider back due to the steep slope.

It's not a regular flying spot due to direction, but on those unusual days when the wind turns heavy north (310-360) it might be worth a look.
rcGman is offline Find More Posts by rcGman
Old Aug 30, 2009, 03:42 AM
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
^Ahh, I believe i know where that is
Old Aug 30, 2009, 03:37 PM
Joined Mar 2009
16 Posts
Ok....what's the best place to fly today?
Chris 2001 is offline Find More Posts by Chris 2001
Old Aug 30, 2009, 04:28 PM
On the banana boat
San Diego,Montgomery
Joined Oct 2004
856 Posts
Blossom if you can take the heat. We had a good day there yesterday, plenty of shede and ice cold water etc.... Oh yea the lift was working well too.

-Philip
Throne is offline Find More Posts by Throne
Old Aug 30, 2009, 04:34 PM
Joined Mar 2009
16 Posts
Thanks Phillip, I think I'll try it.
Chris 2001 is offline Find More Posts by Chris 2001
Old Aug 30, 2009, 06:46 PM
Carlsbad, Ca
Joined Mar 2007
3,165 Posts
Great directions to Lopez Canyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcGman
The topic of a North / North West flying site came up today at the Moth Fest at Daves Beach today. Lopez canyon was mentioned, so I said I would upload directions since I have flown there twice.

The slope site faces approx 315 so a strong North / North West wind is needed. The hill is a large dry brush slope that is very steep in parts. Below you will find images of the location. Again, this slope needs north wind so Sept - Nov might give the best chance for flying.

The first time I flew there it was 18-20mph and great. The second time was only 8-10 and I landed about 100 feet down the hill. It took about 45 minutes to get the glider back due to the steep slope.

It's not a regular flying spot due to direction, but on those unusual days when the wind turns heavy north (310-360) it might be worth a look.

Couldn't have made them much more clear,...but I'll add another landmark, as Qualcomm's 12 story Bldg WT is directly across the street from the driveway entrance.

When the wind direction is cooperating, you'll find the lift to be crazy. 50-75ft instant lifts with anything under 16oz is pretty common. I like it for 2M birds, or larger.

There are a couple other spots to fly Lopez Canyon. One that I found on a lunch break, is a West facing bowl at 6620 Cobra Way. Nice with a developed breeze, jogging path along the rim, good for foamies and wings. Might have to try my Moth, this week.
chip.greely is offline Find More Posts by chip.greely
Old Aug 30, 2009, 07:13 PM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcGman

...and when I've flown insta-lift it was at the West most steep face in the Penasquitos canyon.
On Lusk Blvd, take your first left up the driveway (I think it says Qualcomm too) at Wateridge Circle intersection. Stay all the way left in the parking lot, park as far west as you can, next to the dirt road. Follow the dirt road west for a few hundred yards and head up to the knoll (the knoll that's almost steep enough to dive behind and "you know what".

I've only flown foam there, but the tall mustard grass would make for a decent catch on something a little more crunchy. Soon as winter NW's start to blow through, I'll see ya'll up there.

-James
wr_mizzard is offline Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:08 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 2001
Ok....what's the best place to fly today?
i wouldn't call it the "best" but it sure was fun..
it was my 1st time ever flyin' here

FoxII 1st flight on new Slope (0 min 51 sec)
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Aug 31, 2009, 12:21 AM
Carlsbad, Ca
Joined Mar 2007
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wr_mizzard
...and when I've flown insta-lift it was at the West most steep face in the Penasquitos canyon.
On Lusk Blvd, take your first left up the driveway (I think it says Qualcomm too) at Wateridge Circle intersection. Stay all the way left in the parking lot, park as far west as you can, next to the dirt road. Follow the dirt road west for a few hundred yards and head up to the knoll (the knoll that's almost steep enough to dive behind and "you know what".

I've only flown foam there, but the tall mustard grass would make for a decent catch on something a little more crunchy. Soon as winter NW's start to blow through, I'll see ya'll up there.

-James
Hey James,

How close is this location to the High Tension power lines that cross the Canyon?
chip.greely is offline Find More Posts by chip.greely