Old Feb 03, 2008, 02:35 PM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lilly
Torrey could be great this afternoon!

I havn't flown there since, like, 2000. I have AMA, are there any other requirements?

-James
wr_mizzard is offline Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old Feb 03, 2008, 02:46 PM
Go Faster!!
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2004
544 Posts
You have to be a Torrey Pines Gulls member and have AMA to fly there. Nothing like Torrey when it's blowing 35 straight in!
Jason Lilly is offline Find More Posts by Jason Lilly
Old Feb 03, 2008, 03:19 PM
Gravity sucks
United States, WA, Richland
Joined Mar 2006
2,501 Posts
Rain seems to have stopped here in Vista, but dense fog has rolled in. Anybody know how it is at Carlsbad? Weather Underground says 20+ SW, but how about visibility? Might be worth putting on the raingear and throwing out the heavies. Tempted...

Mike
SrWade is offline Find More Posts by SrWade
Old Feb 03, 2008, 03:30 PM
Is it DS'able?
Joined Feb 2007
2,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SrWade
Rain seems to have stopped here in Vista, but dense fog has rolled in. Anybody know how it is at Carlsbad? Weather Underground says 20+ SW, but how about visibility? Might be worth putting on the raingear and throwing out the heavies. Tempted...

Mike

Not raining here in Encinitas, but heavy Fog Monster is here. Break out the bright colored planes Mike. I'm heading out soon, probably going to garfield.

-James
Old Feb 03, 2008, 05:48 PM
Slope Junky
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Nov 2006
108 Posts
Super flying at Daves Beach!!!!

I was up there at 12:00 to 2:30 and it was blowing 20 - 30 WSW with off and on light mist.

I had to go home to have lunch with the wife but I'm heading back for some more..

Steve drake was there with a super nice plane.

See ya there...........

Scotty
ScottyShaw is offline Find More Posts by ScottyShaw
Old Feb 03, 2008, 08:44 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,705 Posts
I was there and met James. Flew my P-80 then it shifted morth so I plopped it in the Mud. Left to do errands came back after the first quarter and it was dead on and nice. Threw out the P-80 and had the slope all to myself. Started getting cold and after warming up threw out the HP then Arnould and Dale showed up as well as the rain so we all left.

The second session was berry berry good.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2008, 09:50 PM
prime5659
La Jolla, CA
Joined Dec 2006
52 Posts
Torrey Pines was big air!

Flew Torrey pines for two hours with a friend today. 25-35mph.
Super bowl vs Super wind. No contest!
Flew an NCFM moth ballasted at 60% capacity. My buddy flew his
lumberjack 72. Both planes flew on rails. Carved big sky.

Posted some videos here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812938

Life is good!
prime5659 is offline Find More Posts by prime5659
Old Feb 04, 2008, 12:05 AM
Jim in San Diego
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
4,110 Posts
Glad to hear you guys got some of the good winds and dodged most of the drops. Thanks for the video Prime. Good stuff.
Pismo is offline Find More Posts by Pismo
Old Feb 04, 2008, 11:37 AM
prime5659
La Jolla, CA
Joined Dec 2006
52 Posts
Yes, we got so lucky. We went to Dave's Beach first, but it was 8-10mph at best. Plus it was raining. Not enough to get wet for. We figured Torrey would have the x10 factor going.
Old Feb 04, 2008, 03:25 PM
Is it DS'able?
Joined Feb 2007
2,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbus
I was there and met James. Flew my P-80 then it shifted morth so I plopped it in the Mud. Left to do errands came back after the first quarter and it was dead on and nice. Threw out the P-80 and had the slope all to myself. Started getting cold and after warming up threw out the HP then Arnould and Dale showed up as well as the rain so we all left.

The second session was berry berry good.
Ray, when it turned too north for us at Dave's Beach I drove down to Cardiff and flew my mini-Salto at the spot I mentioned a while back between Swami's and San Elijo Campground, right on the 101. It was straight on and really fun for an hour or so, big pumps and lots of seagulls following me around. Not quite Torrey, but great fun and good smooth lift.

-James
Old Feb 04, 2008, 05:26 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wr_mizzard
Ray, when it turned too north for us at Dave's Beach I drove down to Cardiff and flew my mini-Salto at the spot I mentioned a while back between Swami's and San Elijo Campground, right on the 101. It was straight on and really fun for an hour or so, big pumps and lots of seagulls following me around. Not quite Torrey, but great fun and good smooth lift.

-James
I left shortly after you did. Then came back about 3pm and it was very good till the rain filled in about 4pm.

At Cardiff do you land at the campground north parking lot or on the ramp down to the beach?
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2008, 06:25 PM
Is it DS'able?
Joined Feb 2007
2,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbus
I left shortly after you did. Then came back about 3pm and it was very good till the rain filled in about 4pm.

At Cardiff do you land at the campground north parking lot or on the ramp down to the beach?

There are usually to many cars to try and land in the parking lot, plus the rotor usually slams you pretty good right above the parking lot... so, no. I land on the 2 meters of dirt/weeds between the fence and the edge of the cliff
But, I do fly from that parking lot (A), standing on the picnic table just south of the stairs. Occasionally I'll fly a little bit north towards the ramp where there's some woodchip/picnic bench area (B)and fewer cars for parking lot/east of the fence landing. There's a big bend in the bluff here that makes things interesting with a small chute I like to divebomb into like dropping into the trench on the Death Star, just wide enough for a 48" wingspan.
I flew north of the ramp yesterday (C)where it's slope/bike-path/guardrail/101... south of Swarmi's, North of the ramp.

See pictures

-James
Old Feb 04, 2008, 06:58 PM
prime5659
La Jolla, CA
Joined Dec 2006
52 Posts
Thanks for the skinny on the Cardiff spots. I know it well. Have surfed that spot for years.
Does anyone have any information about this south bay site. Supposed to be uncrowded and great lift. (32.574 N 116.894 W ) Word is that it is a para glider spot that doesn't get used much.

http://www.paraglidingearth.com/en-h....php?site=6780
Last edited by prime5659; Feb 04, 2008 at 07:28 PM.