SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 01, 2007, 11:54 AM
ALL IN !
Carlsbad, California, United States
Joined Feb 2004
2,786 Posts
Big winds Ground the PG's and the the HG's, Open air should be sweet today Big big Air..
Louied is offline Find More Posts by Louied
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2007, 12:14 PM
S.L.O.P.E.
San Diego
Joined May 2005
3,517 Posts
I can't fly torrey but just north off of carmel valley road should be rocking!
howsthewind is offline Find More Posts by howsthewind
Old Dec 01, 2007, 02:12 PM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
Well, my car's cooling system decided to start acting up this morning, so I may not go out to today if I can't get it fixed in time
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Old Dec 01, 2007, 03:05 PM
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,320 Posts
Saturday sure looks great now--anyone going to Poway? Not sure if I can break free, but 20 mph sure is tempting!
Ward Hagaman is offline Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman
Old Dec 01, 2007, 03:13 PM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,267 Posts
I'm going to try Torrey North (South Del Mar)...then Poway.

-James
leaving Encinitas at 12:30
wr_mizzard is offline Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old Dec 01, 2007, 07:14 PM
Jim in San Diego
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
4,110 Posts
How was it? I still say tomorrow will be better but maybe that's just because I couldn't go today :}

I'm reading all these posts and am feeling like I'm watching all the surfers that take the first set right before the good one Today gusty, tomorrow smoooooth. We'll see how the prediction holds.
Pismo is offline Find More Posts by Pismo
Old Dec 01, 2007, 07:44 PM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
My sources show very light winds from the northeast.

Check out the NOAA forecast:

http://newweb.wrh.noaa.gov/sgx/digit...&variable=Wind

Sunset cliffs on the coast and laguna mountain should both be decent at 10-15.

Joe, where are you staying? You may want to check out Laguna Mountain. It is by far the hugest slope site in San Diego, but it's a bit of a drive.

--Alex
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Last edited by raptor22; Dec 01, 2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2007, 08:44 PM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,267 Posts
Del Mar was surprisingly smooth and straight-on...the best I've had it in a long time.

Poway was a little more choppy but still had lots of lift and the DS groove was working nice.

Lake Hodges was really fun...lots of lift, and DS'ng at the rock outcropping. Snapped the carbon wing joiner in the mini Salto on the backside...no other significant damage though.

....and. I squeezed in a short post-sunset flight at Cardiff State Beach, again smooth and straight on, a little north. Had to do it just to claim the fourth slope.

Pheww...where's my beer.

-James
wr_mizzard is offline Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old Dec 01, 2007, 08:52 PM
San Diego North County
Del Mar
Joined Feb 2007
758 Posts
I went to Torrey Pines today and it was kickin. Probably 20 straight in. Unfortunately I didn't have any planes with me. I went home to get them and my son started whining about it being cold and windy (he doesn't get it yet) so we just stayed home. Tomorrow he will be with his mom, so I hope it stays cold and windy one more day!

Robert
Mr. Robert is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Robert
Old Dec 01, 2007, 08:54 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,699 Posts
Cbad was good when I got there at 0830, Scotty and Mike(?) were already flying since 0730. Scotty's wind meter hit 31 mph. We had 2 CSD P-80's and my old ME-163 DAW plane in the air for a mini PSS fest.

Had to leave to get some pool work done and returned about 3 pm for more. But it was'nt as strong, maybe the upper teens. Just got back. Some guys were there all day.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2007, 08:55 PM
S.L.O.P.E.
San Diego
Joined May 2005
3,517 Posts
It wasn't that GREAT Jim... of course I'm a pathelogical liar!! Straight in and huge lift. started out at Dave's beach and then took Joe done to North Torrey.

Once there the wind kind of died off a bit. Ed and I were thinking, "great- take the new guy away from good lift with promises of better lift and then get skunked!". After a bit of normal flying conditions it kicked up and got really good!

I got to fly the P-63 Joe flew his LEG F- [well some fighter!!] and Ed actually tossed and flew Tropical Storm, Moth and a Bee!

Then things got interesting with Joe doing a maiden on his Mirage!! Sweet looking plane. I'll try and post a couple of pictures from today and video if I can!

Greg
howsthewind is offline Find More Posts by howsthewind
Old Dec 01, 2007, 09:34 PM
Carlsbad, Calif
Joined Mar 2007
672 Posts
Big Wind

Spent the whole day at Daves Beach. Got there at 9:30 and it was blowing straight in at around 30ish. Filled the M60 full of lead and got in some of the highest pumps I've ever gotten there. Lots of fun with the PSS planes, like Ray mentioned it was a little PSS fest. Next I got out the 2M Blade, it was like being up at Cajon or someplace big. Can't wait for tomorrow.

Mark
Mark Canfield is offline Find More Posts by Mark Canfield
Old Dec 01, 2007, 10:51 PM
NY Slope Dog
Syracuse, NY
Joined Sep 2003
822 Posts
Day to remember

I had a blast. It was great to fly with Oran, Mark, Chris, Louie, Scott, Greg, Ed, Daryl and many more who's names I can't remember. You guys have a real treasure of a beach in Carlsbad. North Torrey is really awesome too!

I'm at the Holiday Inn at Palomar Airport Rd till Thursday. I didn't think Sunday was going to be windy, but if anyone wants to do a road trip, let me know. I don't mind a drive as long as I can start out early and get there before noon. My Miraj wants to stretch it's legs and run a little.

Joe
Wind Junkie is offline Find More Posts by Wind Junkie
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2007, 11:07 PM
AMA 218183
Reseda [san fernando valley]CA, USA
Joined Aug 2007
526 Posts
Dave's beach sounds like a blast, I gotta get down there sometime. Is that hotel across the street pricey? What's it's name? Would make a nice weekend escape. Dave
dwkwingnut is offline Find More Posts by dwkwingnut
Old Dec 01, 2007, 11:15 PM
NY Slope Dog
Syracuse, NY
Joined Sep 2003
822 Posts
A co-worker is staying at the Hilton Suites literally right across the street from Dave's Beach and he says it is MUCH nicer than the Holiday Inn where I'm at. Not sure of his room rates but my place is reasonable. The Hilton reportedly has a big flat screen TV in his room.

I'm happy as long as the shower works. Gotta wash all that sand out of my ears ya know
Wind Junkie is offline Find More Posts by Wind Junkie
RCG Plus Member