HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2009, 07:29 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip.greely
I agree with that neighbor Ray (hope you don't complain about my music )

AMA could be a problem, as well as the input provided by the Torrey Pines Gulls on safety.

In discussion with State Parks Brian Kettner, we discussed adding sand or DG north of the tarmac for a proper designated LZ, with a designated jogging trail/path closer to the street/berm. He wanted to memorialize the site with a monument to the RC Sloper History that Dave's Beach represents.

Fences are bad, but some signage to correspond to the designated areas of use might be good.

Ultimately, his support against the City's CMC making Dave's the only site for RC use is a good thing. Just need to make sure we don't get stuck by the rose's thorns

Brian sound like an ally.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2009, 07:57 PM
Carlsbad, Ca
Joined Mar 2007
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbus
Brian sound like an ally.
I told him we'd teach him to fly ,....I've got this old waterlogged 2M Explorer

Have to remember though, he's a State Official so ally or .......?
chip.greely is offline Find More Posts by chip.greely
Old Aug 07, 2009, 09:26 PM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,496 Posts
Guys, having a person to communicate with at the city is a good thing. Up here in Laguna Niguel, a flier was on the planning commission. When the developers wanted to build, he made some suggestions, many of them happened, i.e. green belt,frequency board, picnic table, signage. When the residents moved in and planes started landing in their yards, our good relationship with the city was already established. They helped us keep our site, but we had to get organized and insured, which sounds like a hassle, but is no big deal. AMA went to bat for some of us too. Lilly's was worth the hassle, Dave's is too. Be proactive and stick together.
FWIW
Tom
TRISME is online now Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Aug 07, 2009, 10:14 PM
Slope Stud
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined May 2001
2,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISME
Guys, having a person to communicate with at the city is a good thing. Up here in Laguna Niguel, a flier was on the planning commission. When the developers wanted to build, he made some suggestions, many of them happened, i.e. green belt,frequency board, picnic table, signage. When the residents moved in and planes started landing in their yards, our good relationship with the city was already established. They helped us keep our site, but we had to get organized and insured, which sounds like a hassle, but is no big deal. AMA went to bat for some of us too. Lilly's was worth the hassle, Dave's is too. Be proactive and stick together.
FWIW
Tom

Dave's has far too many things going on and AMA would be a bigger problem and not a help.

Oranator
ORANATOR is offline Find More Posts by ORANATOR
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2009, 11:30 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
^If anything, new boundaries could potentially be established for Daves, in the same general location, but I've never been to Daves, so I wouldn't know exactly.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Aug 08, 2009, 12:21 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2009
16 Posts
Chris S. 92122
Chris 2001 is offline Find More Posts by Chris 2001
Old Aug 08, 2009, 12:23 AM
Carlsbad, Ca
Joined Mar 2007
3,165 Posts
Quote:
FWIW
Tom
Allying with Brian sounds like the plan, as he already seems supportive of several of the items you mentioned (ie signage, designated Landing zone, jogging path). Picnic tables might be a pinch, possibly near PCH, but with the narrow strip at Dave's we may have to pick our battles.

IMHO, the AMA is probably problematic at Dave's, as Oran mentioned with pedestrians, joggers, bikers, cars and RC planes, competing for the same space, not to mention this all taking place under TCA, it's got to be the AMA's worse nightmare
Old Aug 08, 2009, 12:32 AM
Carlsbad, Calif
Joined Mar 2007
672 Posts
Quote:
Chip Greely Carlsbad resident 92011

Matin Taraz Carlsbad businessman 92011

Ray Pili Carlsbad resident 92011

Daniel Barlow Temecula resident 92591

Oran Bloodsworth...92054

Greg Houck.... 92007

John Locke... 92118

Tom Drake 92026

Dale Gottdank 92130

Neil Cameron Carlsbad resident 92011

Louie Carlsbad resident 92008
Mark Canfield resident 92011
Mark Canfield is offline Find More Posts by Mark Canfield
Old Aug 08, 2009, 12:36 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
might fly up there some day, and if my name and zip will help in some way to preserve a slope site its:

Jim Snodgrass 92120 Allied Gardens (AMA member)
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Aug 08, 2009, 02:15 AM
Just Toss It !!!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2004
6,082 Posts
TCA won't be a problem. You have to observe distance and altitude limits and we go nowhere near the limit.
I think the AMA would be a bigger problem if powered flight is contemplated.
I for one don't think powered flight is safe at Dave's, but it will be difficult to throw it under the bus if those in favor of it think this should be an "Everybody-or-Nobody" deal.

Matin
is a Nobody...
MATIN is online now Find More Posts by MATIN
Old Aug 08, 2009, 02:18 AM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,418 Posts
Quote:
it's got to be the AMA's worse nightmare
Could turn into our worst nightmare

It sucks that this was ever in the paper, it should of been kept on the DL.

Jason Edwards 92056 (AMA 1,000,000)
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Last edited by 1320fastback; Aug 08, 2009 at 02:26 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2009, 02:41 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320fastback
It sucks that this was ever in the paper, it should of been kept on the DL.
I agree. I think newspaper coverage is too much attention
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Aug 08, 2009, 11:20 AM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATIN
TCA won't be a problem. You have to observe distance and altitude limits and we go nowhere near the limit.
I think the AMA would be a bigger problem if powered flight is contemplated.
I for one don't think powered flight is safe at Dave's, but it will be difficult to throw it under the bus if those in favor of it think this should be an "Everybody-or-Nobody" deal.

Matin
is a Nobody...
Electric and gas powered planes are not allowed at our slope, it was part of the "deal", strictly gliders. "Kite Hill" is a block away, so it's not too big an issue. We too are on a walking trail, and a grass public park field is six feet behind us. We have to call our landings (good idea anyway) and look out for pedestrians. I joined AMA because many flying sites require it. It's not a bad deal for the coverage you get. If anyone is interested in our sites rules, look up City of Laguna Niguel, under parks, look for Lilly Shappel Park.
Tom
TRISME is online now Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Aug 08, 2009, 12:11 PM
Carlsbad, Ca
Joined Mar 2007
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Electric and gas powered planes are not allowed at our slope, it was part of the "deal", strictly gliders. "Kite Hill" is a block away, so it's not too big an issue. We too are on a walking trail, and a grass public park field is six feet behind us. We have to call our landings (good idea anyway) and look out for pedestrians. I joined AMA because many flying sites require it. It's not a bad deal for the coverage you get. If anyone is interested in our sites rules, look up City of Laguna Niguel, under parks, look for Lilly Shappel Park.
Tom
FYI, here's the link to their rules
Old Aug 08, 2009, 12:37 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,700 Posts
Permit, 5 aircraft in the air limit and no combat. Pilot stations?

Tom how is access to Lilly controlled? At Dave's any riff raff can stop and throw out, permit no not.

Is Lilly over a canyon of over the beach?
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member