HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2001, 10:16 PM
Certified Slopehead
San Diego, CA.
Joined Jan 2001
2,268 Posts
Look! Up in the tree!

So I was flying my second Zagi on it's maiden flight this evening, when, about 300 feet up, I tried an outside loop and KA-BOOOJ!! Canopy and battery explode out of the Zagi, leaving the wing to slowly fall back to earth...but no. NO, at about 100 feet, the tallest tree in the area snuck up and grabbed it! So I ran to the Recreation center and "checked out" a football, giving the guy my drivers license for colateral. First throw....stuck it right next to the Zagi!! Perfectly wedged between the only 3 branches strong enough to hold it. After staring at both of them for about 15 minutes, not believing my luck, a guy walked up and, trying not to laugh, gave me his sons soccer ball. It probably took about 50 throws, but on the 51st throw, I cleanly pegged both the Zagi and football in one shot. I returned the football, put the battery back in, threw the Zagi, and off I was....Into the Sunset...Another day, another "Zagi Adventure"...
tenover is offline Find More Posts by tenover
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2001, 12:03 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,328 Posts
The Chargers need you.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old May 10, 2001, 04:12 AM
Novara ,ITALY
Joined Sep 1999
522 Posts
When I have to take those strange fruits down from trees I use just a cord, pick a small stone from the ground and tie it to the cord, then launch and shake, launch and shake, launch and shake...
At least you won't have to fight with the owners of soccer/footballs
Giacomo is offline Find More Posts by Giacomo
Old May 10, 2001, 08:20 AM
I'm disoriented!
Mt. Laurel, NJ, USA
Joined Aug 2000
948 Posts
Tenover,

I'll be coming out to SD on the 16th of June for a convention. Thinking about going over to the field by Sea World on Sunday AM. Ever been there?
ChrisD is offline Find More Posts by ChrisD
Old May 10, 2001, 01:34 PM
Certified Slopehead
San Diego, CA.
Joined Jan 2001
2,268 Posts

Well, technically it wasn't an outside loop. I was flying inverted at full speed, then gave it up elevator, well....you get the picture....
Old May 10, 2001, 02:40 PM
Certified Slopehead
San Diego, CA.
Joined Jan 2001
2,268 Posts
Oh yeah, I'm flying this Zagi WITHOUT a spar OR strapping tape....hehehehe. Can do rolls and loops fine, trying to stay away from dives though.....
Old May 10, 2001, 03:55 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,432 Posts
Last August I was flying my Zagi out of a little field in the High Sierra and had a similar experience doing a large and fast regular loop and while inverted lost the battery and the plane flew on and into a very tall Ponderosa suger pine. There the plane shredded it's elevons and came to rest perfectly on two evenly spaced branches. despite many throws of several balls the Zagi remained lodged in the tree as a result of flight # 178. After the weekend I drove the three hours home. About a week later I got a call that a wind storm had dislodged my Zagi and it had been recovered. After a six hour round trip drive on a beautiful summer day I made two new elevons, plugged in the battery and speed controller that had made a soft landing by bouncing off small tree branches on the day of the original incident and flew the Zagi. It now has over 300 flights and I recently retired the original motor. Mike Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2001, 04:18 PM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
You got lucky . A few weeks ago I was flying my PJC and setting up for a low level high speed pass when I caught the very top of a tree. PJ parts go flying every where. I found everything except for the ESC. My brother and I looked around for a good 30 mins when we called it quits. The following weekend my brother was flying his Twin Satr and caught a glimps of yellow way up in the tree. Guess what, it was my Kontronic Easy 3000. Well I must have throw a stick at it a 500 times over the next few weeks. I finally decided to try something diffrent. Bought a few diffrent fishing weights and a spool of fishing line. I knew it was at the max height I could throw but I gave it a go. After twenty tries I fianlly got it loose and it fell half the distance down and got caught again. The second time was much easier. Got it down and it is back in the PJC working great. Dont you just hate those plane eating trees.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Old May 10, 2001, 08:16 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Sep 2000
308 Posts
I can't handle this anymore. I'm tired of wiping my eyes, and my face hurts from laughing.
tripster is offline Find More Posts by tripster
Old May 10, 2001, 11:31 PM
San Antonio, Texas USA
Joined Feb 2001
1,108 Posts
Watch out for those plane eating trees, we have them here in Texas too. I've had my Zagi, Miss2 chomped on before. Thank goodness they spit them out. I guess the worst thing about this hobby are those trees and how the ground rises really quick.
cruzomatic is offline Find More Posts by cruzomatic
Old May 11, 2001, 12:24 AM
NY
Joined Dec 2000
235 Posts
Im sorry but this is about the funnyiest thing I have ever read. If the other thing had also got stuck up there I would have to take a picture. Plane eating trees are not you friend's. K
kfbraun is offline Find More Posts by kfbraun
Old May 11, 2001, 12:35 AM
Certified Slopehead
San Diego, CA.
Joined Jan 2001
2,268 Posts
ChrisD....I fly there all the time. Let me know for sure, I'll meet you there.
Old May 11, 2001, 12:37 AM
Should it be doing that?
Riverside, CA
Joined Mar 2001
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tenover:
I tried an outside loop and KA-BOOOJ
You need to secure the battery in place better. Like some straps, or something. I haven't done outside loops just because of this. Rolls could be a worry too.

Zagi's are TOUGH!!! Gotta love it!
brianchristie is offline Find More Posts by brianchristie