HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2007, 05:52 AM
Joined Oct 2007
108 Posts
how hard will it be to wind it hotter? It would be cool if this little motor could spin a 2 or 3 inch prop on 3 cell in a pusher jet or pylon racer, wouldn't it?

how hard would a standard wound 5 gram motor go?
this is the setup I'm thinking of:
5gr hextronic motor
6gr pentium 6a (with smaller wires and stuff it could be lighter I hope )
2 2,5gr bluearrows
not sure about reseiver but atleast under 4gr
and a 100mah battery from around 8gr (maybe lighter)
this totals into 28gr plus 5gr for things I forgot (props connectors, but you guys know that much better than me )

Jacar
hyper-dart is offline Find More Posts by hyper-dart
Last edited by hyper-dart; Dec 05, 2007 at 06:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2007, 06:07 AM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
It should be easier to wind 'hotter', there would be less turns. That's assuming that it can be disassembled without wrecking it.

Matt
PerfectStranger is offline Find More Posts by PerfectStranger
Old Dec 05, 2007, 03:46 PM
1 paycheck away from homeless
United States, KS
Joined Mar 2006
4,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-dart
this is the setup I'm thinking of:
5gr hextronic motor
6gr pentium 6a (with smaller wires and stuff it could be lighter I hope )
2 2,5gr bluearrows
not sure about reseiver but atleast under 4gr

Jacar
Why would you want to use all this heavt stuff on a plane that's designed for a 5 gram motor? I mean if the plane is made to be small & light enough to use a 5 gram motor, that stuff is WAY heavy. You might want to do some reading in the micro forum. I'm just trying to help here BTW. I've been doing micro planes for a while & every mili gram counts when you get down to this level.

My biggest problem with this motor is that in stock form (Assuming Don's #s are accurate. I have no reason to think otherwise.) I have a BRUSHED set up I've been working for a while now it puts out as much thrust using less amperage & only weighs 1 gram more. It's much cheaper also since it's brushed. I think these motors are one place where the Chinese didn't do such a great job reverse engineering.
ghostmechanic is offline Find More Posts by ghostmechanic
Old Dec 05, 2007, 03:57 PM
Columbus,Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
1,670 Posts
Wait a minute........ if the motor is putting out 70 grams of thrust and he is at 28 grams plus say 10 grams for airframe, then wouldnt that be 1.8 to 1 thrust to weight ratio?
Sounds pretty sweet to me.

8 in. wing span profile su-27 that does vertical.

At nine bucks for this motor its only a matter of time till the brushed ones are the expensive ones.
LOGICAL_PSYCHO is offline Find More Posts by LOGICAL_PSYCHO
Old Dec 05, 2007, 04:27 PM
United States, KS
Joined Mar 2006
4,574 Posts
You really think the airframe will only be 10 grams? And I'm just trying to help here. And 70 grams of thrust? The best #s I saw that Don had gotten were with the 3,000KV of which UH doesn't have. It was around 70. The 2,000 was 62 grams. I'm sure that was a peak too. Of course, UH is claiming 90 grams. I've got some on order. I want to test some myself. I'd like to see if there's any difference. I'm not knocking the motor. Obviously the UH motor is a good value for the money. And it's $12 unless you're seeing something I'm not.
Old Dec 05, 2007, 09:21 PM
Columbus,Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
1,670 Posts
I'm a "Platinum Member" $9.99 for me.
10 gram profile frame is easy, I can't help it you make heavy planes.
You get my PM about the airbrush?
LOGICAL_PSYCHO is offline Find More Posts by LOGICAL_PSYCHO
Old Dec 05, 2007, 09:32 PM
United States, KS
Joined Mar 2006
4,574 Posts
Yes Darren (I hope I spelled it right, I always forget) I got your PM. I haven't had time to respond. I build heavy planes? HA! I just know that someone new to the micro world isn't going to automatically know how to build light. It's an art for sure. BTW, I'm a Platinum member as well. I never signed in to see that price. I haven't placed my order yet. I'm waiting on word from another guy that wants to add a few things to mine to save on shipping.

For the record, I think this is probably a very great deal for a micro brushless. I'm glad the prices are coming down. I just wish it wasn't being done the way it's being done.

I plan to rewire a couple of these as soon as I get them. I'm very curious about them. I'd like to see a much higher KV & a little bit lower one as well. Don said he's got 1200KV or 1500KV ones coming but, he just can't get them at these prices.
Old Dec 06, 2007, 05:10 AM
Joined Oct 2007
108 Posts
how about a breeze block then? thats around 5gr I think... that saves a few grams I know I won't be able to build a frame of 10grams but I just wanna give it a try, so if I can't make a pusher with this setup then a micro slowflyer would also be an option I think

I asked this because I'm new so everything you say is welcome

Jacar
hyper-dart is offline Find More Posts by hyper-dart
Old Dec 06, 2007, 06:12 AM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
Kind of have to weigh the pros and cons. There comes a point where the exaggerated/inflated cost isn't worth the diminishing returns. I'm willing to eat a gram or two here and there when the cost of saving that gram is $60.

Let's face it, nobody is winning major tournament cash with these micro models like the big boys do in competitions.

Matt
Old Dec 06, 2007, 11:25 AM
S55
Beaverton, OR, USA
Joined Feb 2001
772 Posts
Ghostmechanic is right. It would be a waste to use this motor and conventional servos. To really get the benefit, it should be combined with magnetic actuators and then the weight penalty is minimal. However I heard actuator driven models will never fly like a true servo driven one. I also hate stuff when it gets so small that itís hard to see.

I think these 5 gram motors would be better used in a multi motor model (6-8 motors). The price sure makes this attractive. To keep weight down, only a one servo would be really needed for elevator, while steering could be accomplished by using two ESCís and differential thrust. Maybe 6-8 motors would also mean the model is big enough and adding a servo for rudder is not a big deal, in which case one ESC might be able to drive all motors.
I read some had success in driving two brushless motors with one servo. The X-series ESC from Hacker can be programmed with a HARD timing setting which Hacker says should be used for driving multiple motors. I have not tried it, but I guess it might work.
S55 is offline Find More Posts by S55
Old Dec 06, 2007, 11:41 AM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
These small BL motors would be a great replacement for any brushed motor that they could replace. If for no other reason than you don't have to replace the motor when the brushes burn out. I hate tearing into a model to replace those can motors. One more reason is the loss of power when the brushes start to go bad...it gets worse and worse. The radio noise gets worse too.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 02:19 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
the little gems arrived today and UH happened to have some GWS4530 props in stock so they arrived too. It actually weighs 5 grams. The mount weighs a gram too. I used some wire insulation and two layers of shrink wrap to create a hub then used a dab of CA to affix it all together. I soldered some 2mm connectors so I could quickly run a test (the 6 amp pentium already had them).

The battery has been sitting for awhile but it read 8.1 volts on a 2S 300mah so I figured it would do for a first test.

1.7 amps
7 volts
9700 rpm - Badcocks calculator says 66 grams of thrust, but there is an asterix next to the GWS4530 prop and I am guessing that means "not much data" cause the efficiency was listed as 0.0.

I am still planning on trying three on a DO-24 so I guess it should come in around 7 to 9 ounces?

I'm working on a set of plans (posted in waterplanes) and am vasilating between 34" span and 40". The last three days have been at 40, but today I flipped back to 34.

Len
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Last edited by LenBFP; Dec 15, 2007 at 03:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 17, 2007, 01:18 PM
pem
Frankfurt Intl, Germany
Joined Feb 2004
290 Posts
Hi, five motors arrived last week and (with some differences between them
- slack winding f.E.) the motor is not exactly what had been announced -
but not bad. Heat is to much for my opinion if you go with 1,5A and more -
but thrust values are ok for the price.

pem is offline Find More Posts by pem
Last edited by pem; Dec 18, 2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 09:23 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,883 Posts
I'd consider rewinding it.. Seemingly Children could sdo better :-)
But Hey! at the price it.. Cannot..be worse than those actually very low quality Kommodo kits that some raved over for so long.
I still shake my head at my own gullibility/foolishness when I look at my Kommodos.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Last edited by Bare; Dec 17, 2007 at 09:29 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 10:11 AM
Chiba, Japan
Joined Jan 2002
1,044 Posts
I am posting my number here. I got 2 of them and they spin differently. One runs rough, the other smooth but eats more current. 2S should be running too low efficiency range, gets nearly 40 deg C in 30 sec or so.

Code:
CC Phoenix-10
Motor #1
GWS 3x2 VX300 3S 11.20V 1.88A 21.00W 19,350rpm
GWS 5x3 CL400 2S  7.63V 1.91A 14.00W  9,390rpm
Motor #2
GWS 3x2 VX300 3S 11.14V 1.91A 21.00W 19,380rpm
GWS 5x3 CL400 2S  7.57V 2.08A 15.00W  9,450rpm
ssatoru is offline Find More Posts by ssatoru