Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
No!
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Nov 29, 2007, 08:21 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,444 Posts
And sadly - since they all use proprietary protocols that will likely always be the case. Just like FM PCM brands never played together.

Mike
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2007, 08:28 AM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,040 Posts
Its not just about protocols though, they are for the most part using different hardware which further adds to the issue of compatibility. Not to mention different modulation schemes.
chrisf testpilot is offline Find More Posts by chrisf testpilot
Old Nov 29, 2007, 08:34 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf testpilot
Its not just about protocols though, they are for the most part using different hardware which further adds to the issue of compatibility. Not to mention different modulation schemes.
Yep - no question compatibility will be within brands only - with the large exception of JR and Spektrum as they use the same stuff.....

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2007, 09:05 AM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,040 Posts
There will be some, but it will likely be very limited. Nomadio can control Spectrum ground stuff and there was a post about a Corona 2.4 module system that will work with Spektrum but since they are using off the shelf parts without data encryption that is fairly easy. Futaba will be more difficult since they use their own chips and protocol. And XPS/IFS uses 128 bit encryption for exactly this reason so good luck with that one Honestly as low as prices are now on most 2.4 stuff I dont think there is a huge benefit to having cross brand compatibility. The majority of us RC are pretty brand loyal.
chrisf testpilot is offline Find More Posts by chrisf testpilot
Old Nov 29, 2007, 09:35 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,682 Posts
The people at Corona said they had not tested their products with Spektrum gear, so they can not confirm that it will or will not work. That Russian Hobby shop either knows something, or is going to have some unhappy customers.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Nov 29, 2007, 04:17 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
I would have asked them to send me an Rx to test for them.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Nov 30, 2007, 06:31 AM
Montreal St. Hilaire, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
168 Posts
So with all those protocols we will probably not see receivers by others compagnies like berg receivers or if we see some there will only going to be for one mfg.
Lutin is offline Find More Posts by Lutin
Old Nov 30, 2007, 07:35 AM
Deutschland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Geilenkirchen
Joined Aug 2007
772 Posts
Exactly!
udogigahertz is offline Find More Posts by udogigahertz
Old Nov 30, 2007, 07:36 AM
Suspended Account
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Dec 2000
4,072 Posts
This will end when a smart Asian manufacturer offers a low cost 2.4g system and has the smarts to offer the protocols to other manufactures on a reasonable license basis.
bradpaul is offline Find More Posts by bradpaul
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 30, 2007, 08:05 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjpaul
This will end when a smart Asian manufacturer offers a low cost 2.4g system and has the smarts to offer the protocols to other manufactures on a reasonable license basis.
Don't know - maybe with Spektrum - but Futaba has long been very proud of their receivers.....

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2007, 08:53 AM
Suspended Account
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Dec 2000
4,072 Posts
Don't want to get too far off topic, but if I was (which I'm not) XPS and Jim Drew, I would consider that my strengths are in product development and my weaknesses are production, distribution and customer service...........

So why not License guys like Castle Creations, Hitec, even Graupner (who today is a distributor) and any other reputable manufacturer to build compatable TX modules and RX units?

The hardware is off the shelf stuff, why not make a few dollars on each unit sold by a Licensee?
bradpaul is offline Find More Posts by bradpaul
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)