HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2007, 08:32 PM
Joined Jun 2002
663 Posts
Discussion
62" Extra 300 foamie build

I thought I'd share my progress on my latest foamie. It's a 62" wingspan Extra 300.

So far, I've cut out the plywood templates and then used them to cut the wing and fuselage pieces. You I put carbon fiber tubes in the ailerons to stiffen them up. I cut a slot in the bottom of the wing and glued in a 1/8" x 3/4" wooden spar.

I haven't glued the nose yet because I need to cut a plywood bulkhead for the motor to mount to.

I put my laptop in the photos to add perspective.

I'll try to add photos as I make progress.

- Brad
BQuick is offline Find More Posts by BQuick
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:41 PM
Is that me?
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2006
898 Posts
aren't the big foamies awesome?It seems like they are coming out of the woodwork nowadays,you have a nice looking build so far I'll watch as you proceed,
Good Luck,
Bob
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=777375
Bobnormal is offline Find More Posts by Bobnormal
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:56 PM
we spozed ta be tite!
Nowata, OK
Joined Aug 2005
159 Posts
I'm in lets see where this goes! You have built some beautiful planes man!

fr0g
fr0g_D is offline Find More Posts by fr0g_D
Old Nov 30, 2007, 08:59 PM
Joined Jun 2002
663 Posts
I did some cutting.

I cut out the area where the canopy will go and I cut out the place for the wing.

The top part of the fuselage will come off with the wing. I'll have to stiffen the remaining part of the fuselage with balsa since the remaining section is so thin.

- Brad
Old Dec 08, 2007, 02:45 PM
Joined Jun 2002
663 Posts
I've made a little progress.

I glued in a plywood bulkhead for mounting the motor to.

To form the canopy, I started with a block of foam, cut out the top and side shapes, then use a hack saw to get a rough shape. I then used an orbital sander to finish the shape and a sanding block to complete it.

I then put a bent copper wire in my soldering iron and used it to scoop out the inside of the canopy.

The photos below show the canopy and then the canopy glued in place.

- Brad
Old Dec 08, 2007, 07:04 PM
Is that me?
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2006
898 Posts
Man can you shape! keep it up,looking forward to your build,
Bob
Bobnormal is offline Find More Posts by Bobnormal
Old Dec 09, 2007, 12:58 AM
we spozed ta be tite!
Nowata, OK
Joined Aug 2005
159 Posts
Simply beautiful! Great work man keep going!

fr0g_D
fr0g_D is offline Find More Posts by fr0g_D
Old Dec 09, 2007, 10:37 AM
Joined Jun 2002
663 Posts
Thanks for the comments, guys. It's nice to know that someone is following the progress.

I started cutting out the tail feathers this morning. I'll post some more photos when I can.

- Brad
Old Dec 27, 2007, 07:50 PM
Joined Jun 2002
663 Posts
Here are a few photos to finish the project:

The first couple show the tail section construction. I embeded carbon fiber tubes in the movable surfaces since the styrofoam isn't strong enough on it's own to handle the torque. The second shot shows the tail section being glued together.

The next photo shows our new kitten, "Emma" inside the plane. I had it on the floor, getting ready for the maiden flight and she just climbed abord! I usually maiden my planes before painting them. If they fly well, it gives me iincentive to do the painting.

The maiden flight was short, but went well. I had a GWS single conversion receiver in it because I was waiting for a better receiver for xmas. Unfortunately, it started glitching shortly after takeoff, so I quickly turned it around and landed it.

I flew it again the day after xmas. It needed very little trim and flew very well. I did rolls, loops, outside loops, etc. and was very happy with how it performed. I flew it first on four Emoli cells, then on four A123 cells. On the A123 cells, it almost pulled straight up.

So far, so good.

- Brad