HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:37 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,454 Posts
Lets hope you did not direct it to me either.. I have enjoyed this thread a lot and got some good ideas out of it. Your sharing has been super. I would probably do things different but thats because I would never build that big. And that has to do with funding. If I had the funding and place to build it would be cool to do even bigger just to have done it

Good luck with your next time out

Regards from Norway
jojoen is offline Find More Posts by jojoen
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:44 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoen
Lets hope you did not direct it to me either.. I have enjoyed this thread a lot and got some good ideas out of it. Your sharing has been super. I would probably do things different but thats because I would never build that big. And that has to do with funding. If I had the funding and place to build it would be cool to do even bigger just to have done it

Good luck with your next time out

Regards from Norway
I would love to see it jojoen. Bigger ships will come. I have some plans of my own. Need to get the small one working first.
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:09 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,397 Posts
Joe-

I'll let my voltage drop post stand because I was asking a question, not offering a solution.
My brain is thirsty!
Is there a way to use a lipo batter in the wings to provide the actual power to the servos there, but then just get the signal from the RX??

T
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:22 AM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target
Joe-

I'll let my voltage drop post stand because I was asking a question, not offering a solution.
My brain is thirsty!
Is there a way to use a lipo batter in the wings to provide the actual power to the servos there, but then just get the signal from the RX??

T
Of course there is... is it worth it? Don't know, but Joe will figure it out if that is a problem.

You could put a BEC/Regulator in the wing and run higher voltage out there.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Nov 19, 2008, 12:34 PM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
1,955 Posts
To be fair, if Joe and his plane has already done 371, surely he:

1. Has a better plane than anyone else at the moment.
2. Is the best pilot at this speed (the only pilot!).
3. Knows at least as much as anyone else about what to do with servos in a DS machine which is nudging 400, and if he does not, knows the people who would know.
DownUnderPilot is online now Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Old Nov 19, 2008, 12:38 PM
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe manor
I would love to see it jojoen. Bigger ships will come. I have some plans of my own. Need to get the small one working first.
OOOOOOOH--a hint of what's to come? I can't wait!
Ward Hagaman is online now Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman
Old Nov 19, 2008, 02:47 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUnderPilot
To be fair, if Joe and his plane has already done 371, surely he:

1. Has a better plane than anyone else at the moment.
2. Is the best pilot at this speed (the only pilot!).
3. Knows at least as much as anyone else about what to do with servos in a DS machine which is nudging 400, and if he does not, knows the people who would know.
Thanks DUP. I must say, any piloting skills I have werent used much the other day. I was just flying some safe lines to see if any issues would come up. Spencer has the most experience in this speed range and is a very well tuned pilot. Part of me wants to get a good 100"er together so we can battle but Im trying to focus more on all out speed. He was doing some awesome flying the other day and I was just cruzing.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 05:28 PM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
1,955 Posts
Yes I think it's good to concentrate on what you are good at. I always think it's akward when people offer advice (albeit with good intentions) even when you are not actually asking for help.

Best of luck Joe, I'm confident you will get there soon!
DownUnderPilot is online now Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:08 PM
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Apr 2008
29 Posts
Target - something to think about -
"Are you getting a voltage drop at the servos from the long wiring runs??"

Of course bigger wires or higher voltage will help, but there are other tricks to try. I have run quarter scale servos at the end of 14 foot wires and found that a large capacitor (100's to 1000's mfd) across the power leads at the servo helps a lot if the wires are a bit too small. The duty cycle of a servo can be 5% to 10% - it spends 5% of the time moving then 95% waiting for the next signal pulse. The servo can draw power quickly from the capacitor, then it has lots of time to recharge. Also voltage loss in a too small ground wire can fool the signal wire into driving the servo hard over a buffer chip at the servo solves this.
Rubber Duck is offline Find More Posts by Rubber Duck
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:27 PM
Der Haifisch!! R.I.P.
Fallbrook, California, United States
Joined Jul 2003
2,226 Posts
.184 not too shabby... oops wrong thread
BeeDee is offline Find More Posts by BeeDee
Old Nov 20, 2008, 09:35 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,049 Posts
RD, thats a great point. The problem with my plane is that my servos are under a continuous load. A pretty high one at that. I have contacted Volz. It looks like they have a servo that will do the trick. Lets keep our fingers crossed.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 09:38 AM
301MPH!
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Jan 2001
655 Posts
Quote:
RD, thats a great point. The problem with my plane is that my servos are under a continuous load. A pretty high one at that. I have contacted Volz. It looks like they have a servo that will do the trick. Lets keep our fingers crossed.
I hope they use new gears! The metal gears have too much play for 400mph!
speedster is offline Find More Posts by speedster
Old Nov 20, 2008, 11:25 AM
Go fast, turn hard
Berkshire, England
Joined Aug 2006
1,202 Posts
Joe,
Still reading and still learning. After it is all worked out and you have the time, I would love to read condensed version of the issue and your solution. I think we all would. So many people read this thread because we will never get to dance the cutting edge or push the envelope like you are doing with this series of models. The fact that you are sharing it in public says a lot about your self confidence and tolerence.

My instructor taught me years ago the old adage "Aviate, navigate and communicate" in that order. To date, most of your posting has been past tense. "This is what I did yesterday". Maybe that is the best approach.

I'm sorry if my post kicked off the stuff on the previous page.

Cheers,
Paul
Tailslide UK is offline Find More Posts by Tailslide UK
Old Nov 22, 2008, 03:06 PM
Tenerife,Canary Islands
Joined May 2004
1,667 Posts
Quote:
RD is refering to electronics duty cycle ,even at full power there is time when the electronics power off.It will be worth and easy to try.

Those volz with "steel gears" are awesome thought .

Sorry me ,no one has invited me to this "open " thread
chichisport is offline Find More Posts by chichisport
Old Nov 22, 2008, 03:28 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2003
2,465 Posts
Joe

possible you knows/ investigated this already, if not maybe it's helpful

If Volz can't deliver, these guys may have a servo alternative:

http://www.acteurope.de/html/7_5_volt-servos.html

They work for the Jet guys and fabricated for the industrial market.

Cheers
Thomas
wakumann is online now Find More Posts by wakumann
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by wakumann; Nov 22, 2008 at 04:22 PM.