HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2008, 09:34 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Yeah. Not enough wind. Norco should be next.
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2008, 07:00 PM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,040 Posts
Dynamic 160

It was great seeing You and your Plane yesterday Joe. Good decision not to fly. We probably could have flown it about noon. But the sun would have been another problem. It wont be long now.
Indubitably is offline Find More Posts by Indubitably
Last edited by Indubitably; Nov 03, 2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2008, 07:23 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,209 Posts
I suggest banging out a 80-100 inch Dynamic to fly when conditions aren't so WR if ya know what I mean,,,save it for it's time.

Nick
Jantar2A is offline Find More Posts by Jantar2A
Old Nov 03, 2008, 10:28 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantar2A
I suggest banging out a 80-100 inch Dynamic to fly when conditions aren't so WR if ya know what I mean,,,save it for it's time.

Nick
Working on it.
Old Nov 03, 2008, 10:32 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Thanks for the great pics John. It was a fun trip. I look forward to seeing you at Norco soon. Come on, 3hrs isnt that bad.
Old Nov 03, 2008, 11:13 PM
Flying Kiwi
Wellington, NZ
Joined Apr 2005
778 Posts
hay thats a great looking plane joe .....I am keen to know how much electronics if any you managed to salvage from the last one ?
booma is offline Find More Posts by booma
Old Nov 03, 2008, 11:13 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by booma
hay thats a great looking plane.....I am keen to know how much electronics if any you managed to salvage from the last one ?
Knowing Joe... i would bet NONE... lol

JOe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
Old Nov 04, 2008, 12:19 AM
Windburner Factory Pilot
Joined May 2008
2,986 Posts
Impressive stuff.Look forward to hearing about its first flight when the time comes.Looking at the photos it appears there is only the carbon "tongue" and one wing bolt holding the wing to the fuz.Is that correct?I guess the structure would fail first rather than a high tensile bolt.Just curious.
Joel
swoop119 is offline Find More Posts by swoop119
Old Nov 04, 2008, 09:34 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by booma
hay thats a great looking plane joe .....I am keen to know how much electronics if any you managed to salvage from the last one ?
6 or 7 servos survived. I used all new servos in the wing. The two elevator servos were still in good shape and still glued together and fit nicely into the new fuse.
Old Nov 04, 2008, 09:39 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop119
Impressive stuff.Look forward to hearing about its first flight when the time comes.Looking at the photos it appears there is only the carbon "tongue" and one wing bolt holding the wing to the fuz.Is that correct?I guess the structure would fail first rather than a high tensile bolt.Just curious.
Joel
Im pretty sure the tongue can take the loads. I hope anyway. We ran some calcs. The numbers checked out. It should be safe. I always worry about that myself.
Old Nov 04, 2008, 11:49 AM
Soap Box Junkie
Sydney, Australia
Joined Nov 2007
712 Posts
Hi Joe, Love your work! Quick question, and I'm sure this must have been previously discussed with your collegues, would a 2-piece elevator have helped with redundancy in light of how the previous version met with it's demise? Or is the single elevator needed for rigidity at the speeds required? I know from my pylon racing and combat flying that most planes are controllable with half an elevator or tailplane missing or flopping around. Then you could run 2 receivers one to each half for even more redundancy.
admodesi is offline Find More Posts by admodesi
Old Nov 04, 2008, 11:54 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
That would be good. It may come into play soon. For the moment my goal is to make my current system work.
Old Nov 04, 2008, 01:23 PM
Torrance
Joined Feb 2005
1,409 Posts
any chance a full flying tail with bell cranks for more mechanical advantage would handle 400mph?
JustinONE is offline Find More Posts by JustinONE
Old Nov 04, 2008, 01:46 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinONE
any chance a full flying tail with bell cranks for more mechanical advantage would handle 400mph?
More linkage = more play
More play = more flutter
More flutter = more destruction

Secondly, the forces on a flying stab would be huge and the play would be exaggerated by the large control surface.

Adam
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old Nov 04, 2008, 02:37 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,454 Posts
Actually a full flying stab can be very good for DS. It does not change the airfoil and therefore you dont have any unwanted forces/turbulence.
This is why on my DS Kobra the wing/tail decalage is a little high (T-tail with flipper) and CG is a little in front to my liking. On the frontside I fly with a lot of down. When reaching 150-200mph I am almost at neutral elevator. I suspect I will fly 300mph with neutral and as clean elevator I can get.

But off course linkage/rods/etc. on a full flying stab has to be rigid and scaled to cope with the forces.
jojoen is offline Find More Posts by jojoen