HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:29 AM
sleep hard
adelaide, south australia.
Joined Dec 2006
567 Posts
Hey Joe,

I'm with the others; it's great to see your name pop up again. This thread and the original bagged D-80 thread are some of the coolest things I've ever read on RCG.

Can't wait to see what's next.
vx99 is offline Find More Posts by vx99
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:08 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,049 Posts
Just knocked the dust off the tooling. Not starting anything right yet but it looks like Alan Cocconi has some new servos that might just do the trick. Never really got this bird in big air and would love to see it in it's element. I didnt want this thread to die just yet. Just a little bump for now. Thanks for all the support guys.

Joe
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:07 PM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,225 Posts
JOE.

We need to start a fundraising raffel. ??
I know many of us would be happy to pay $25 to 50 a ticket to help see a D160 fly again .
Joe your contribution and dedication to this hobby has been second to none. And your threads are iconic will be read for years to come by our kids etc.
If we raffle a D plane , I'm sure we could get a good contribution for a D160 build.. April is coming and we all would love to hear the boom of a D160 through the shear @ 500..
It must cost an arm and a leg to build one of these..?? At least we could make a difference..

Just thinking out loud.

Tim
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:27 PM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,433 Posts
Yep I'm in on helping. Raffle anything plane related. . .
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: new plane
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:41 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuck View Post
JOE.

I know many of us would be happy to pay $25 to 50 a ticket to help see a D160 fly again .
Joe your contribution and dedication to this hobby has been second to none. And your threads are iconic will be read for years to come by our kids etc.
If we raffle a D plane , I'm sure we could get a good contribution for a D160 build.. April is coming and we all would love to hear the boom of a D160 through the shear @ 500..
It must cost an arm and a leg to build one of these..?? At least we could make a difference..

Just thinking out loud.

Tim
That's a pretty cool idea Tim. Would really make a difference for me. Things for me are a bit different than when I started the project. I do happen to have a beautiful red/white/blue D80 (one of a kind) that might be perfect to generate some funding. I think I have enough carbon but need lots of resin and other supplies. The servos will likely be the biggest ticket item. Would be fun to get the latest greatest servos that will finally work in this plane and share the build here once again. It's gonna be a ton of work though. Gotta get my head around it. Gears are turning. Have a couple builds I need to finish for people first. That will help me knock the rust off.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:44 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,049 Posts
3 piece wing this time.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:12 AM
Can you DS it??
Australia, NSW, Berowra
Joined Aug 2008
1,420 Posts
Great to see you back on here Joe. Good luck with it, can't wait to see how it comes along.
spotterone is offline Find More Posts by spotterone
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:28 AM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
987 Posts
What airfoil is being used now? It looked like an asymmetrical but fairly thick, back on the green monster. I was wondering if maybe a thinner one might be less drag, considering the speeds being chased? Pardon my newness here, awesome build and dedication, Joe Manor! I recall many stories from WWII about compressibility, tucking, aileron reversal, and the invention of the P-51's airfoil. Best Regards and good luck!
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:11 AM
I land when i CFIT!
USA, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2007
869 Posts
I'd be in for the raffle. That's a great idea.

Colby
flytrip is online now Find More Posts by flytrip
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:52 AM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,558 Posts
I'd be in for sponsoring a square inch or so.
The last servos you used were beasts, you still feel there was room for improvement?
What is/was the downside of multiple servos per surface? Too difficult to match throws?
Would you put in one of Alan's stability systems? I can't imagine doing a project like this without one these days.
Stu
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:24 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967250s View Post
What airfoil is being used now? It looked like an asymmetrical but fairly thick, back on the green monster. I was wondering if maybe a thinner one might be less drag, considering the speeds being chased? Pardon my newness here, awesome build and dedication, Joe Manor! I recall many stories from WWII about compressibility, tucking, aileron reversal, and the invention of the P-51's airfoil. Best Regards and good luck!
The airfoil he is using is very much up to the task. When Joe gets the 160 in huge, clean air we shall see some very impressive speeds with it. I really enjoyed seeing it fly in the past, perhaps the most visible plane in the circuit and at altitude.
Aerogance is online now Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:43 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuck View Post
JOE.

Just thinking out loud.

Tim

I don't even fly slope and I would buy a couple tickets just to see this plane crush the record. 500 is going to be broken this year, and this is the plane to do it.
plane_tech is online now Find More Posts by plane_tech
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:21 PM
Go Faster!!
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2004
544 Posts
I had a nice 2 day build party with Joe to knock off the dust! All the best stuff...... Pizza, carbon dust, kicker fumes, solder smoke and lead dust! Can't wait to fly my new D130!
Jason Lilly is offline Find More Posts by Jason Lilly
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:27 PM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
987 Posts
Boy, that is lot of carbon. No wonder it's so expensive!
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:51 PM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,225 Posts
Great pics Jason... Sounds like a build day I'd like to attend.
The boys are gearing up for some wind.

Tim
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics