HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2010, 01:23 AM
{A life in the wind=~-
Santa Clara, California
Joined Aug 2003
1,081 Posts
Time for a new thread: CARBON TESTING PART 3!!!
invictarocks is offline Find More Posts by invictarocks
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2010, 03:59 AM
Leicestershire
Joined Sep 2006
1,184 Posts
Sorry dude... boooo hooooo...

Z
Zimodile is offline Find More Posts by Zimodile
Old Jun 11, 2010, 05:20 AM
Maryland
Joined Dec 2002
400 Posts
Drat! I was so looking forward to seeing the 500+ video. The wait goes on...
rc4fun is offline Find More Posts by rc4fun
Old Jun 11, 2010, 07:13 AM
isoaritfirst
Not a Brummie/but close
Joined Sep 2005
1,403 Posts
very bad news Joe - The world waits..

Not being able to get on step in 50mph winds certainly sounds like it was real monster.
Was this latest version significantly heavier than previous ones.
Do you think it would have been able to get there on a better day?

Do you now have a optimum weight in your mind for the next one..
isoaritfirst is offline Find More Posts by isoaritfirst
Old Jun 11, 2010, 09:34 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isoaritfirst View Post
very bad news Joe - The world waits..

Not being able to get on step in 50mph winds certainly sounds like it was real monster.
Was this latest version significantly heavier than previous ones.
Do you think it would have been able to get there on a better day?

Do you now have a optimum weight in your mind for the next one..
Yeah, this one was 50 lbs heavier than the last. 105lbs total. It was too heavy to get on step. I slowly got it into the 250 range then I pulled too much elevator on the top turn and it flicked. I couldnt recover. Just not enough lift from the wing at those speeds to support all that weight. If it were blowing 80+ then maybe It would have been different. The next one will have industrial actuators and I will take smaller steps in the ballast department as I go.
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:20 AM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,154 Posts
Keep on trucking Joe...

Quote:
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
KurtMc is offline Find More Posts by KurtMc
Old Jun 11, 2010, 04:45 PM
More like crunchman....
United Kingdom, Cheshire East
Joined Mar 2007
908 Posts
105 lbs...?
The next one......?
Blimey, Joe.

No-one has contributed more.
But wouldn't your life be more fun, & won't it suffice for 500+, just to settle for a "mother-*!+?!" version of your forthcoming D130?

Anyhow, I'm guessing one such might only require 3 people to perform a launch
dsman is offline Find More Posts by dsman
Old Jun 11, 2010, 05:58 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Jan 2004
105 Posts
To the Man with Brass ones from another one who knows. Great efforts Joe! sorry the outcome was not as hoped.

As I posted before I work in the UAV industry as a Pilot, Designer, and I have stuffed in some serious hardwear in my day. like $125K in one go! It takes some impresive talent and even greater intenstinal fortitude to go herdaling where no-one can say forsure what the outcome will be.

So all I can say is RESPECT BROTHER! Few people will ever know the fealing of tearing a new one into the wild blue yonder, so Go Get Em Joe, the first 3 was just good practice, for Mighty # 4

I'll be watching.

Cheers,
Wetcoast
Wetcoast is offline Find More Posts by Wetcoast
Old Jun 11, 2010, 07:42 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Thanks Guy's. Yes, the D130 will be fine for 500+. I am looking forward to flying many into oblivion. The D160 is more of an ultra expensive test bed. I think sooner or later I might need the D160 to get to the next plateau. For now, I will see what I can do with the D130. Im almost sorry to say all this as it feels like this might be the end of this thread but all good things must come to an end sooner or later. For now I will rest. Later, Carbon Testing 3. I will not give up on this project. I do know that the next one will require about $6,000 in actuators. I cannot afford them at this time anyway. Time to sit back and have fun. Try to up the D40,60 and 80 records. Then when the d130 comes go for the big show. Thanks for all the support. This thread was a great time for me.

Joe
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:06 PM
Eldorado CA
Joined May 2010
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe manor View Post
Thanks Guy's. Yes, the D130 will be fine for 500+. I am looking forward to flying many into oblivion. The D160 is more of an ultra expensive test bed. I think sooner or later I might need the D160 to get to the next plateau. For now, I will see what I can do with the D130. Im almost sorry to say all this as it feels like this might be the end of this thread but all good things must come to an end sooner or later. For now I will rest. Later, Carbon Testing 3. I will not give up on this project. I do know that the next one will require about $6,000 in actuators. I cannot afford them at this time anyway. Time to sit back and have fun. Try to up the D40,60 and 80 records. Then when the d130 comes go for the big show. Thanks for all the support. This thread was a great time for me.

Joe
Amen brother. thanks for the show joe. really enjoy learning from a master fabricator such as your self. you are truly gifted as a pilot as well. keep up the good work and i think i can speak
SethPenery is offline Find More Posts by SethPenery
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:14 PM
Sydney
Joined Apr 2009
716 Posts
Bad Luck Joe.

For all of us following your thread it's easy to forget that this info that comes free of charge can sometimes really cost the originator.

So thanks Joe and all the best with the D's 40,60, 80 and the new 130.

hope to see you on the D130 thread.

Cheers John
OZPAF is offline Find More Posts by OZPAF
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:55 AM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,502 Posts
Bummer JOE , well done for giving all of us insperation and the knowlage that you have passed on , chin up mate your quest has only just started.........plenty more to come from JM.........

Tim
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:59 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,480 Posts
Legend.
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Old Jun 12, 2010, 01:26 AM
Riverside CA
Joined Feb 2001
885 Posts
Joe, The D160 was truly, one of the most beautiful flying machines, I have ever seen in the air! It was and continues to be an inspiration to the sport of DS. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of such an epic event.

Gary
garyg4rc is offline Find More Posts by garyg4rc
Old Jun 12, 2010, 02:21 PM
Ook!
New Zealand
Joined Aug 2007
1,496 Posts
What a tragic end to an epic build. Condolences and respect to you, Joe.

I always wanted to see a shuttle launch, but with the end of the space shuttle program looming, my new goal is to one day make it to Weldon or Mars and see you flying one of your carbon monsters at over 500 mph

-Simon
skaffen is offline Find More Posts by skaffen
Last edited by skaffen; Jun 12, 2010 at 02:27 PM.