Joined Jul 2006
2,012 Posts
If Only

If only David could come up with actual numbers to compare
End grain Balsa with
Plywood in Vert and Horizontal, and
Other woods Bamboo, Maple, Mahogany etc,
Ply cut to 45 degrees.
I suspect that ply would be best with something less than 45 degrees and much closer to vertical, but such is not even available. Data, Data, comparable Data.
Indubitably is offline Find More Posts by Indubitably
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2009, 01:51 PM
Go Faster!!
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2004
542 Posts
---
Jason Lilly is offline Find More Posts by Jason Lilly
Last edited by Jason Lilly; Dec 27, 2009 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Moved info to shear web thread.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 01:34 AM
Joined Jan 2005
28 Posts
500+?

Hi Joe,

Awesome Project ! Thanks so much for sharing it with us !
(I am one of the 200,000+views, and have taken the time to read this post from the start...WOW !)
Taking the time to share it with us, IS, taking us readers for the ultimate ride too, Joe.... I hope you know it. Thanks.

The pictures are great too. The 'still' shots of your patience building is the ultimate in contrast to what the machine you are building will do.

I'll follow any other spar/servo/aerodynamic/airfoil/composite structures topics here at Dynamic Soaring here at RCGroups...
I am interested in all of those details.
It would be nice if the 'what ifs'/#s people would post there.

And Joe, could just tell us 'His' story here...

The way history always works...

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Cross Check is offline Find More Posts by Cross Check
Old Dec 30, 2009, 08:37 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,036 Posts
Thank you Dave! It has been a lot of work indeed. I cant make these planes fast enough. Im still trying to figure this model out. It still has it's own set of problems but when I am able to get it flying is hauls. Soon I will get it right and be able to fly as much as I want. I feel like this model will go 500+ someday. I think I have had it 400+ a few times now. Top reading is still 393 I think? One day it will show it's true colors.
I didnt like the whole shear web conversation. Im glad it is now in another thread. My point here is to share my trials and hopefully show what works, how I did it, and how I was able to make it a bit less expensive and easier to make. I have #4 coming soon. The prototype set a new record. #1 from the molds had a linkage problem and died, #2 also set a new record, as did #3. Sooner or later I will get the kinks out of this beast and It should get closer to the speed I am building it for. I cant wait!
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:03 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,036 Posts
#4 Fresh out of the molds

Chris and Gregg came over today to help get the new wing from the molds. This one is the nicest so far. All this practice is paying off. This will be ready to fly soon.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:25 PM
He bowls overhand
Falcon, Colorado
Joined Oct 2004
1,501 Posts
Sick! If you don't mind me copying.. What form of blue is that? It really pops!

Nice work man!
Jim
threcixty is offline Find More Posts by threcixty
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:26 PM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,376 Posts
WOW, A work of art !!!! lookout 500mph
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: new toys....
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:31 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by threcixty View Post
Sick! If you don't mind me copying.. What form of blue is that? It really pops!

Nice work man!
Jim
I will have to get the color. I dont remember the name.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:28 PM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,464 Posts
Joe , i have a brother living in Atlanta , who happens to be a phd , in aero , and his main focus is composites , i havnt seen him since our dad died , ill try to get a hold of him and have him check this thread out , speaking of a phd...........
Dennis Everett is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:37 PM
No time to not fly.
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,495 Posts
Superb as always Joe! Now I will go sacrifice a plane to the wind gods for you...
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:21 AM
Joined Sep 2004
259 Posts
For everyone looking at these photo's online I am really sorry, because having seen this beast first hand I have to once again say that Joe's pics do not do it justice, it is a truly AWESOME airplane!!!

Once you get over the enormity of how big it is compared to everything else and start looking at the details it is truly awe inspiring, the fit and finish are just insane...

By the way Joe said this wing was a light weight - it is only 34ish pounds, how 'bout them apples...

Can't wait to see it in the air!!!!

Cheers,
Chris
chris_b is offline Find More Posts by chris_b
Old Dec 31, 2009, 01:02 AM
PWP!
USA, HI, Makawao
Joined Oct 2002
3,901 Posts
Joe, are there photos of the process on how you finish off the LE and TE to clear the flashing off of the wing? I'd love to see that.
ajroahkni is offline Find More Posts by ajroahkni
Old Dec 31, 2009, 03:50 AM
Leicestershire
Joined Sep 2006
1,184 Posts
Superb Joe - nice scheme!!!

Z

PS Yellow Dynamics are the quickest I heard!
Zimodile is offline Find More Posts by Zimodile
Old Dec 31, 2009, 09:19 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajroahkni View Post
Joe, are there photos of the process on how you finish off the LE and TE to clear the flashing off of the wing? I'd love to see that.
Dang it! I finished it yesterday. I will be making a backup plane soon (in a few weeks) and I will try to take pics of anything I havent shared yet. I will be showing the wiper install this time around.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 03:04 PM
The sky is my playground
Near the Ocean in Hunt. Beach Calif.
Joined Apr 2006
999 Posts
I think Chris got it right when he stated you can't get the full jest of the build unless you actually see it in person. I went to pickup a plane last week from him and to see the massive wing in the middle stage of construction was very interesting. There is so much work in R and D of his planes that a few pictures don't do him justice!! Great job and continue to keep us up to date. Jimmi
flyboyjimi is offline Find More Posts by flyboyjimi