HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2009, 03:44 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,049 Posts
Plywood is manufactured for it's shear strength. If you took regular hardwood and nailed it to the shear wall of a house for example it would split easily.
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2009, 03:59 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe manor View Post
Plywood is manufactured for it's shear strength. If you took regular hardwood and nailed it to the shear wall of a house for example it would split easily.
And plywood has more stability. I could see a solid piece of wood swelling a lot more while sitting in the sun.

Adam
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old Dec 25, 2009, 05:39 PM
the occasional flyer
Rexburg, ID
Joined Jul 2008
514 Posts
Quote:
No, plywood is manufactured for it biaxial strength, and for its dimensional stability. It has the same shear strength as the wood it is made of. But, as you point out, less tendency to split due to moisture variations (because of the cross-plies).

I hate to pull rank on you, but I have a PhD in mechanics of composite materials. Although I'm still learning. I'd be happy to see any data you have to the contrary.

As far as the build thread, it may happen in the coming years. I'm founding a collegiate team with the goal of fabricating a plane capable of taking the Idaho record, currently held by Tauno and an Opus.

But allow me to express myself in awe of what you have accomplished. I'd be pleased if my students could benefit from your (and others') experience.

-David
rothlisburger is offline Find More Posts by rothlisburger
Old Dec 25, 2009, 05:59 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,166 Posts
Why not a solid lump of carbon and be done with it
Psionic001 is offline Find More Posts by Psionic001
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2009, 06:29 PM
Sydney
Joined Apr 2009
716 Posts
Merry Christmas Joe. Its abnormally wet here instead of our normal heatwave.Brrr!

John
OZPAF is offline Find More Posts by OZPAF
Old Dec 25, 2009, 06:44 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothlisburger View Post
No, plywood is manufactured for it biaxial strength, and for its dimensional stability. It has the same shear strength as the wood it is made of. But, as you point out, less tendency to split due to moisture variations (because of the cross-plies).

I hate to pull rank on you, but I have a PhD in mechanics of composite materials. Although I'm still learning. I'd be happy to see any data you have to the contrary.

As far as the build thread, it may happen in the coming years. I'm founding a collegiate team with the goal of fabricating a plane capable of taking the Idaho record, currently held by Tauno and an Opus.

But allow me to express myself in awe of what you have accomplished. I'd be pleased if my students could benefit from your (and others') experience.

-David
Thanks David. Maybe I will try the solid wood sometime. When I was at the lumber yard they had some very light mahagony that would have made this even easier. Think that would do the trick?
Do you know how to calculate compression and shear loads for my model?
Old Dec 25, 2009, 06:46 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZPAF View Post
Merry Christmas Joe. Its abnormally wet here instead of our normal heatwave.Brrr!

John
I hate the cold too. Nothing a good build session cant fix. Must work faster.
We decided to build a rock wall the other day when we were waiting for the wind. Kept us warm and sore for days.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 07:39 PM
Sydney
Joined Apr 2009
716 Posts
My building rate will never keep me warm.I sort of have a reputation of the reverse.
cheers
John
OZPAF is offline Find More Posts by OZPAF
Old Dec 25, 2009, 08:43 PM
Go Faster!!
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2004
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothlisburger View Post

-David
David,
If the plywood shearweb was made from +- 45 Deg plywood instead of 0-90 plywood would that be a better way to use plywood for a shearweb?
Jason Lilly is offline Find More Posts by Jason Lilly
Old Dec 25, 2009, 08:47 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,049 Posts
???
Go Faster!!
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2004
544 Posts
Did I mention I have a bad case of ShopBot envy??
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,049 Posts
It's yours anytime you want to use it Jason.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 08:58 PM
Go Faster!!
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2004
544 Posts
I appreciate that, Cause I'm a DS Junky..... if you know what I mean!
Old Dec 25, 2009, 09:02 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,049 Posts
Plywood is manufactured by slicing or rotary peeling thin [<2.5 mm] sheets of material [veneer] from a flitch or log and then laminating three or more veneers into a rectangular sheet perhaps 1200 mm 1200 mm for very thin sheets otherwise 1200 mm 2400 mm. Laminating an odd number of plies [3, 5, 7 ...] reduces warping while increasing the number of plies increases the resistance to shearing forces.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 09:06 PM
TD- F3K- Slope - What to fly?
Cupertino CA
Joined Aug 2005
1,495 Posts
Quote:
???
If I get the idea, when ripping the Ply strips treat it just like carbon cloth.

Cut some Ply strips at 0-90 and some on a 45 deg to the wood grain.
Treat the grain just like carbon tows.

When gluing the stack they can be alternated, then CNC as before.

Now the question is, will it really make a difference or just rip up a lot of plywood?
Dale Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Dale Thompson