HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2007, 07:13 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Discussion
Carbon Testing Part 2! Hollow Molded Monster!

I want to share the process of creating the new and improved hollow molded D160. I Will have aluminum molds for the wing and tail group. I will be making one piece wings using the giant molds that will be hoisted around to move them. They will weigh around 400lbs for each half. As some of you have heard, I am lucky enough to get help from Joe Wurts and I am using his newly designed airfoils for the plane. The elevator is using a JM3 airfoil that has been modified into a symetrical section. It never got a name yet so let's call it the JM33. I have already sanded and polished one mold half. I will post pics of the process for those interested. As always, I will be happy to answer any non technical questions.
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2007, 07:24 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
This is basically the condition of the molds once off the machine. I could have paid more and got them smoother but I dont mind a little sanding. I start the process with 3M Wetordry 220 grit and a rubber squeege and warm soapy water.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 07:26 PM
Plane dodger
Stratford Sikorsky, Connecticut, United States
Joined Dec 2001
6,715 Posts
Watching with interest. I plan on doing some aluminum molds soon and need to see how its done. Are you doing male or female molds?

Killer
KillerAir is offline Find More Posts by KillerAir
Old Nov 27, 2007, 07:29 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
Sweet Joe,
You will see that working with metal molds is so much easier. I have never had to work at removing a part.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Nov 27, 2007, 07:32 PM
The sky is my playground
Near the Ocean in Hunt. Beach Calif.
Joined Apr 2006
999 Posts
Are these molds shown for the 160 or the hundred and if not are you going to be making metal for the 100 jimmy
flyboyjimi is offline Find More Posts by flyboyjimi
Old Nov 27, 2007, 07:49 PM
gas tires and oil
malad, idaho
Joined Dec 2004
2,444 Posts
wow joe!
i am watching every step for sure.

marty
prplgoat is offline Find More Posts by prplgoat
Old Nov 27, 2007, 08:01 PM
Joined Nov 2005
138 Posts
how long until you have one of those ready to ds this year or begining of season next year.
DiveBoMB is offline Find More Posts by DiveBoMB
Old Nov 27, 2007, 08:05 PM
Model Bender
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2004
2,870 Posts
wow you've got some polishing ahead of you Joe.. Looks nice!

Personally I've never liked ally molds as they are far too difficult to repair if nicked or scratched, but they certainly hold high tolerances.
OzDragonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzDragonFlyer
Old Nov 27, 2007, 08:18 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyjimi
Are these molds shown for the 160 or the hundred and if not are you going to be making metal for the 100 jimmy
These molds are for the 160". I will be finishing up with the 100" tooling later. Not sure yet if I will use aluminum for those or not.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 08:19 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveBoMB
how long until you have one of those ready to ds this year or begining of season next year.
This project should take about a year. Maybe less time.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 08:24 PM
RC LIFER
santa rosa California
Joined Aug 2005
2,007 Posts
Joe, you are an Animal!!!
Mike the Snake is offline Find More Posts by Mike the Snake
Old Nov 27, 2007, 08:28 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerAir
Watching with interest. I plan on doing some aluminum molds soon and need to see how its done. Are you doing male or female molds?

Killer
These are female molds.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 08:35 PM
The sky is my playground
Near the Ocean in Hunt. Beach Calif.
Joined Apr 2006
999 Posts
So does this mean you are going to start producing the 160 for all the masses jimmy
flyboyjimi is offline Find More Posts by flyboyjimi
Old Nov 27, 2007, 08:39 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
I am using a rubber squeege as a flexible sanding block. It's real purpose is to sweep away water and sanding dust when wet sanding so you can see the surface dry to determine where your at in the sanding process. I am using rags for that. I start by getting some soapy water on the mold half. Im doing one side of each half at a time. This is the elevator mold for those who are wondering. In order to keep the surface true I start sanding at a 45 degree angle. Im sanding all the way up to the leading edge and stopping about 75% back. I then sand at the same angle from the trailing edge overlapping the previous pass. I work from the root to the tip and back again. I then do a pass at the same angle from the root to the tip and back but this time Im sanding all the way from the leading edge to the trailing edge. I then repeat the process 90degrees off the last sanding angle. Once finished I then sand spanwise starting at the leading edge and going back. I am cleaning up the sludge and adding fresh water in between each steps.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 08:40 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyjimi
So does this mean you are going to start producing the 160 for all the masses jimmy
I may sell a couple but they will cost quite a bit.