HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by FAA, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 17, 2002, 10:07 AM
FAA
Master Model Collector
Connecticut, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,143 Posts
Trader Rating: 8
Happy Holidays !!!

Happy Holidays
FAA is offline Find More Posts by FAA
Last edited by FAA; Dec 17, 2002 at 03:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2002, 10:31 AM
Oxford, Alabama USA
Joined May 2001
640 Posts
Trader Rating: 38
Regarding your statement #2, are you implying that the only items sold here must be below "fair market value"?

Typically, all sales are "buyer beware", that is, the buyer has the responsibility to know (and pay) fair market value of an item, not the seller. An item is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Ask those who paid $$$ for worthless internet stock just 2 years ago.

Regarding E-bay, the rip-off opportunity there is the worst - I have seen others pay $25 + shipping for a $15 GWS EDF50.

There was no guarantee when you logged into the Zone that you could get your RC supplies cheaper here, but one usually can. I (and others) have the opportunity - and I dare say the right - to ask whatever I (or we) want for an item. But if I want to sell it, I had better be reasonable, or be open to offers.

That said, I have sold and bought a good bit, and always ask substantially below the Tower Hobbies price, because I intend on selling the item!

Merry Christmas!!
jimmyray is offline Find More Posts by jimmyray
Old Dec 17, 2002, 10:33 AM
Long Island, N.Y.
Joined Oct 2002
241 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
I have noticed this also, but they ending up selling the items. Sometimes, there are multiple people who want the same item for retail price. The bottom line is there is no one forcing anyone to buy it. So let the buyer beware.
newbee E-flier is offline Find More Posts by newbee E-flier
Old Dec 17, 2002, 10:56 AM
FAA
Master Model Collector
Joined Apr 2002
1,143 Posts
Merry Christmass and Happy Holidays to ALL

Nick
Last edited by FAA; Dec 17, 2002 at 03:07 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2002, 11:04 AM
Endangered User
United States, FL, Casselberry
Joined Jul 2002
1,307 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
The value of a thing is what the thing will bring.

I agree that if someone places an item for sale at a greatly inflated price, it should be pointed out in a calm, curteous manner.

On the other hand, the buyer has to do some research into what they are contemplating buying.

Matt
MattLarson29 is offline Find More Posts by MattLarson29
Old Dec 17, 2002, 11:11 AM
I ain't got it!!!
USA, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Apr 2001
867 Posts
Trader Rating: 19
My 1 cent (depreciation)

For what it's worth...

A reminder in supply and demand...x people will by y product at z price.

So...
If the price is too high, no one (or numerically few) will want to buy it.
If the price is too low, more people will want to buy it.
If the price is just right, Goldilocks will buy it, and the 3 bears won't have anything to fly at the field.

When all is said and done, you still have to be able to sleep at night.

Adam
Flying Low is offline Find More Posts by Flying Low
Old Dec 17, 2002, 11:20 AM
Oxford, Alabama USA
Joined May 2001
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FAA
...A quick sale for the most bucks...Nick
Isn't that what every seller wants?

Or would you rather have a quick sell for the least bucks?

Charge what the market will bear. If you ask too much, you won't sell it. If someone pays your asking price, you did not ask too much.

Capitalism rocks.

BTW - How much can I get a GWS IPS-A motor for? A Google search is not comprehensive enough, but helps (somewhat). From Hobbytown, it is $26.99 (I was there last night), "M" is $19.99, "MM" is $18.00, "B" is $17.95, "E" is $16.99, but I have paid $14.40 at hobby shows. (names withheld - but easy to find on Google)

What would you ask on the Zone? What is "Fair Market Value"?
Last edited by jimmyray; Dec 17, 2002 at 11:25 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2002, 11:21 AM
Oxford, Alabama USA
Joined May 2001
640 Posts
double post - oops!

That is a word you never want to hear in the operating room - "oops"
Last edited by jimmyray; Dec 17, 2002 at 11:26 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2002, 12:12 PM
Speeding? Just flying low
Garden Grove,CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
115 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
FAA - where did you get your...

degree in marketing? The For Sale groups are simply forums to bring people together who have a common goal.... I'm looking for it and you've got it. There is no implied guarantee here that you will get the best deal possible, or that you won't pay more than the item sells for at your local hobby store.

" A fool and his money are quickly parted". Sayings like that have been around for many years for a reason - it's human nature. If you spend any time at all watching the boards you'll quickly get an idea of what is the going rate for items that are offerd for sale here. Nobody forces anyone to respond to the adds that may price items higher. If a newbie spends more than he could have much because he didn't do a little investigation prior to investing, that's his problem.

It doesn't mean that someone isn't being friendly when they only discount a two year old kit 20%, it just means that they don't want to take a bath on it without seeing if someone else is willing to pay his price first. Remember that the same two year old kit sitting on the hobby shop shelf would likely still be marked at full price.

Besides, there are other considerations. There are instances where the item being sold is no longer in production(Hobby Hawk gliders, red label 500AR cells) yet they occasionally come up for sale here. Should somenone sell those "old" red cells for $2.50 a piece when racers would gladly pay 2 to 3 times their original cost? What if you live in Iceland and have no access to a local hobby store? A "deal " to that person is likely to be a little different than a deal to you.

"We" don't need to do anything with the sales forums. The market will take care of itself. If an item is priced too high by all the shoppers' standards, it won't sell. But a seller only needs one person to justify his price , not everyone.
Clay is offline Find More Posts by Clay
Old Dec 17, 2002, 02:48 PM
GRAVITY... Just Say NO!
Toledo, OH
Joined Apr 2002
994 Posts
Trader Rating: 48
I don't know what is worse. The fact that you spent that much time typing this post, or me bothering to read it.

A seller has a right to ask whatever they want for what they are selling. I've bought many items off ezone, and have always haggled with the seller before making my purchase. I've gotten what I though were great deals, and deals that I thought were just 'fair'.

The fact is, I pay what I think it's worth.

When it comes right down to it, if you don't like the price walk away.

BTW, if you think that people here are asking to much, what do you have that you'd like to give away? I'm always in the market for almost free RC stuff.
ArcherAce is offline Find More Posts by ArcherAce
Old Dec 17, 2002, 02:58 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Jan 2002
1,199 Posts
Trader Rating: 13
And he'll pay you quickly to boot.
J
jbc455 is offline Find More Posts by jbc455
Old Dec 17, 2002, 03:16 PM
FAA
Master Model Collector
Joined Apr 2002
1,143 Posts
If anyone is wondering why I deleted my posts, itis because I feel that my point was lost to the audience.

So as to not burden the bandwidths, or take up hard disk space I have deleted them and replaced them with a Holiday Cheer.

Like any experiment, the results were interesting and disapointing at the same time.
Old Dec 17, 2002, 04:29 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Jan 2002
1,199 Posts
FAA-

Perhaps your point would have been better received if it was a bit more direct instead of getting lost in 15 paragraphs.

What were you disappointed about? Was it the fact that everyone didn't agree with you?

Just some thoughts, please don't take offense.

John
Old Dec 17, 2002, 04:38 PM
FAA
Master Model Collector
Joined Apr 2002
1,143 Posts
No offense taken John

I am just disapointed that most people took at as an attack on their own transactions. It was intended to be a more "global" approach to keeping this forum at a little bit of a higher standard than just watching become another ebay. Thats all.

Nick
Old Dec 17, 2002, 05:09 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Jan 2002
1,199 Posts
FAA-

I read your original post before there were any replies and thought "oh boy, here we go". Turned out exactly as I thought it would, not as I hoped either.

I read somewhat between the lines and understood your intents perfectly.

J
Closed Thread