HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:14 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,511 Posts
I admit, I probably sound like an impatient kid. HK is what it is, and the shipping times I've mentioned are offset by price. I was off base there.

Still, I've never had a call to drop a backordered item, and neither has my buddy who has a 3 month old order held up by a backordered item (Tgy 2730-3000... popular in my book, but apparently not to the global market). He ended up making a second order with the items which were in stock. Obviously it's different for many peope, but my hobby budget can't afford to bond small loans here and there.

I've been using the wishlist feature for the past few months; highly recommended. There were a few times when I was away from my desktop, and the trigger on my blackberry wasn't fast enough to make the boat.

Cheers,
Kev

BTW, I did see that DT700's came in at "10+" the other day. I grabbed a few to play with.
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Last edited by Truglodite; Apr 29, 2010 at 12:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2010, 01:33 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post

I've been using the wishlist feature for the past few months; highly recommended.
+1

Their wish list feature is pretty good. You can have up to 5 different categories to help organize your stuff. Like batteries, motors, ESC, misc, etc. They also have a new feature when looking at your wish list, the stuff hi-lighted in grey is on backorder.
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Apr 29, 2010, 03:25 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,806 Posts
The HK price on the DT750 is about $1.35 cheaper than what I paid for the Turborix DAT-750 but I get the connectors and shrink tube so I consider the prices to be about the same.

I see the DT700 is rated at 700 Kv and 13A, has anyone figured out what the difference in the winds or termination is on the DT700? Why would you have to pay about $2 more for it I wonder?

Hobby Lobby has the version they sell on sale, they are down a little from their normal $49.99 a pair there. Of course the connectors are already fitted and you get some nuts and washers with them.

And the bearings are down to 10 cents each now at BP Hobbies if you buy ten of them:

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...11&pid=U250214

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Apr 29, 2010, 04:10 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
Has anyone found an alternative to the DT750's??

Sick of waiting on them to come back in stock..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Apr 29, 2010, 05:50 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,806 Posts
??

There are several places mentioned in the last page or two or posts that will let you order the Turborix DAT-750 right now.

If you want to buy a Hextronik DT750 I guess you have to wait for Hobby King to get them in stock again.

I'm under the impression that they are the same motor, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jack
Old Apr 29, 2010, 06:02 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
r2hobbies.com seems to be dead at the moment.. Can't get their site to work and I'm not yet impatient enough to pay $25 a piece for them from Hobby Lobby..
Old Apr 29, 2010, 06:08 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,806 Posts
I must have cursed them by ordering from them and then recommending them to others.

It took me some time to find them in stock too.

If you you find that page back up and they show them as not in stock, email them and ask about them. When I did that they said they had them.

Jack
Old Apr 29, 2010, 06:20 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,511 Posts
Tram, are you planning on rewinding it? If so, the DT700 is the same thing, if not, it's 50Kv lower than the DT750.

Kev
Old Apr 29, 2010, 06:22 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
Kev-

Wasn't planning on rewinding them just yet..

I guess I could snag some 700's.. I'm sure 50kv won't make a huge difference.. Just trying to get this Tri-Copter up and running..
Old Apr 29, 2010, 06:32 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,511 Posts
Oops, double...
Last edited by Truglodite; Apr 29, 2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 08:51 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,806 Posts
I've been wondering what I was getting for thrust out of the Great Planes 10 x 4.5 slow fly prop on the DAT-750 so I set the SpaFFFnutz up in my hanging scale thrust stand and fired it up this morning:

SpaFFFnutz test 100430

AUW as tested 738 grams

Great Planes PowerFlow 10 x 4.5 prop (GPMQ6660)

A123 1100 mAh 4S pack

Thrust = 1020-1040 grams
high volts = 13.78V
low volts = 10.91V
high watts = 216W
high amps = 19.04A
high RPM = 7060

I fly it at half throttle or less, it sort of scares me at full throttle and the elevons will flutter too.

This is with the stock wind, I'm getting ready to rewind that motor as soon as I get the wire and bearings. I'm going to go with Truglodites 16T 21 AWG wind.

I've noticed a couple of mentions here over concerns about running the GWS 11 x 4.7 SF props at the RPM we're getting out of this motor. The Great Planes slow fly props are available in 10 x 3.5, 4.5, and 7, are much stronger, and are working fine for me.

I'm also using a prop saver. I do not use O-rings, I use a pair of retainers cut from Thera-Band physical therapy/surgical tubing and have never had a problem with them.

I flew this morning in some *really* stiff winds. It was about 20 MPH on the ground and more up above the trees. I let the SpaFFFnutz get down wind on me one time just as the winds picked up a little and it was in a dead heat with the wind with at full throttle for a little while. Absolutely no forward motion at all at full throttle. I finally started gaining on it, got it back on the ground in one piece and called it a day...

Jack
Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:14 AM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
16T 21 AWG
Manuel's original run on that motor:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=61

Dave
timocharis is offline Find More Posts by timocharis
Old May 01, 2010, 06:00 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,806 Posts
Ah, OK. I noticed Truglodite's build because it looked so pretty in the photos.

I had also looked at that spreadsheet with all the wind details and noticed that 16Tt seems like a good choice for me. I ordered a 1/4 lb. spool of wire from gobrushless yesterday, the bearings on are the way too.

Jack
Old May 01, 2010, 10:42 AM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Yup. There's a good bit of history behind the 16T and it has worked out nicely for a lot of folks. You're going to have quite a bit of 21-gauge wire left over!

Dave
timocharis is offline Find More Posts by timocharis
Old May 01, 2010, 01:24 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,806 Posts
I guess I will have a good supply. I have six of the motors now and have a FB that has a couple of them too. So it should allow me to make plenty of bone head errors on the winding.

I was curious as to the length so I looked it up and I think a 1/4 lb. spool of 21 ga. will do about 17 motors or so.

I got the MicroDAN wire, I thought it sounded like good stuff and the Newbie wire was not offered in 21 ga. There is a lot of magnet wire for sale on eBay but not a lot of info is offered on the qualities of the insulation. I liked the temperature rating the the MicroDAN wire.

Jack