Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 17, 2008, 11:05 AM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
I think they know the weight is liberal. If you look at the various items and their weights, they adjust them to move some products and slow down the sales on others.

I don't think this motor has been a big winner for them. Deep down, I suspect most of the market doesn't pay much attention to efficiency. No matter how many times Ron explains why it matters, for some reason it just doesn't sink in. (If you see this, thanks Ron. You set so many of us on the "right path.")

Dave
timocharis is offline Find More Posts by timocharis
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2008, 05:47 PM
Joined Aug 2007
1,345 Posts
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn595
I got my motor wound up 18T delta and just finished soldering everything up. So far I've only run up to 3/4 throttle with a GWS 10x6 HD and a Loong Max 3S 1800 lipo but mine runs quietly. It's not totally silent but it's a lot quieter than my Axi 2212-20.

For the record, I'm mouting it to the plane with the Tower Pro Alloy Stick mount and I'm making sure that the clamp is as close to the stator as possible because I don't want to pinch down on the rear bearing. I'm also using nuts to hold the prop on the shaft the same way we did with the 400C GWS gearboxes.

So no test results yet but my motor is pretty quiet. It's probably not a quiet as a a Blue Wonder but it's definitely quieter than the last TowerPro bell motor junker I had.

(And for the record, if you're running this thing indoors make sure you clear all the small loose objects out of the room before you fire it up. If all you've been playing with laterly are Blue Wonder's this thing is going to feel like a leaf blower. I'm still not exactly sure I'm going to mount the motor to when I test it. Perhaps the coffee table.)
Yes I did a panic swapout of my 2212-20 in my tailsitter, on Sun morning and put in my 12 pole which is similar to your hextronic , just to get that serious breeze to pull me out of panic low hovers ,,,its sort of instant, with a 12x6 on Ive ordered a TB18 also as my Chinese ESC is sudden in the lower range
Lets hear the flight report Shawn
NX-687 is offline Find More Posts by NX-687
Old Feb 17, 2008, 08:14 PM
United States, VA, Bedford
Joined Sep 2006
2,018 Posts
Dave: Sadly, I think you're right on both counts. And now that I've actually my Slow Stick with the "Big Wonder" I have to reconfirm that it's really quiet. Not entirely silent but no growling either. I'm still on the fence about getting another one esp now that I know there's an off chance that I might get a loud one. I certainly don't have another model that it'll fit in but it's an intrigueing motor all the same. If it was 15 grams lighter I'd work towards an efficient 9x4.7 wind (if one even exists) and mount it in the nose of my Mini-Mag.

NX: The flight was good but it was a little too windy for flying a Slow Stick today. There were no crashes but it's hard to get a feel for the plane - let alone trim it for level flight - when it's that windy out. Still, it was a good time even if it was a bit cold out and I'm very happy how well the SS flew. I have more than enough power to do inside loops at 3/4 throttle. And honestly, I was suprised at well the SS absorbed the power. I have a Blue Wonder wound 14T of 25 on my Pico Stick and even short bursts of WOT cause all kinds of structural drama with that flimsy little thing and I've done a lot to strengthen the wings on it.

GWS has done a lot to reinforce the main wings of the Slow Stick lately - my kit had an extra brace in it that added a lot of rigidity to the main wings - perhaps they'll do make changes to the Pico Stick as sell.

At the very least maybe they'll make the wing mounting brackets out of a stronger plastic. I did a tight outside loop with my Pico Stick once and it fluttered back to the ground in three seperate pieces...

-Shawn
shawn595 is offline Find More Posts by shawn595
Old Feb 17, 2008, 08:35 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Quote:
I have a Blue Wonder wound 14T of 25 on my Pico Stick and even short bursts of WOT cause all kinds of structural drama with that flimsy little thing ... I did a tight outside loop with my Pico Stick once and it fluttered back to the ground in three seperate pieces...
Holy moly, I've never even thought about putting that much grunt on a Pico Stick.

I did some outside loops with mine and it didn't fall apart, but the fibrillations were definitely dramatic.

My favorite "outsider" was unsuccessful: I did a half outside to inverted and it just wouldn't go any further. By the time I realized it was stuck, I was too low to try to drop it back into upright. So with the wings fluttering like a spastic sparrow, I slowly landed it in the grass upside down. Struck me funny at the time, anyway.

Dave
Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:49 AM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,759 Posts
I just ordered Hex. 750kv also. I built a Fokker DR-1 and I have a new BP Hobbies motor in it.BP's BL2217/9 outrunner with projected 2lb. thrust. Very nice motor I love it. It is light weight too. I had to add 2.5 ounces to the nose. This Hextronic shows more thrust. I get about 32 ounces with a 11x3.8 APC. I think the added weight of the Hextronic will give me same or more thrust and best of all I can remove some lead nose weight out of the plane. The noise may also be benificial in the old timer. What is the final synopsis of the rewind of the Hex 750? Should I leave it alone or rewind it.? Is it worth the effort for a slight gain?
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is offline Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Feb 18, 2008, 06:24 PM
Joined Sep 2006
2,018 Posts
Bob,

I don't think anyone but yourself can really say if a rewind is "worth it" or not. Me personally, I rewound mine for the two main reasons. The first was because I wanted to see what it was like to rewind a motor in the dLRK for Delta pattern. The second was because I just couldn't stand to look at the bird's nest of wires they had going on behind the bell. It was a total wreck of wires and it didn't need to be like that.

And no, I'm not trying to say I'm an elitist or that my winds are the best - far from it. I just couldn't stand to leave the motor wires that messy even if I knew that the performance wouldn't improve by any noticable amount (at least not while in the air).

So there you have it - if you don't care what the winds look like then save yourself the trouble. There may be other reasons for rewind the motor - a broken wire would be a good one - but there's no reason to rewind it until that happens if the bird's nest doesn't bother you.

Hope the helps.

-Shawn
Old Feb 18, 2008, 06:54 PM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,759 Posts
Yes, good point here. I will leave it the way it is and try to get what I can out of it. I like the report in the thread. If it breaks a wire I will also rewind mine to save it. I have done a few recent TowPros and my own home built CDROM years ago. At these prices it sure looks like a nice bang for the buck. I am eagerly waiting to try one. Thanks
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is offline Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Feb 18, 2008, 07:14 PM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,061 Posts
We can not say that the changes I make Timocharis were in vain.

Now is a better engine with wire thickest and a winding-18T evenly in each tooth.

In addition there is an error in their early data.

6446 produced 1132g or 39.9oz. Stock motor.
6666 produced 1226g or 43.2 oz. Rewound motor.

Representing an increase of 3.4 oz.
With the same amperage and better efficiency

Manuel V.
manuel v is online now Find More Posts by manuel v
Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:23 PM
Joined Sep 2006
2,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timocharis
Holy moly, I've never even thought about putting that much grunt on a Pico Stick.

I did some outside loops with mine and it didn't fall apart, but the fibrillations were definitely dramatic.

My favorite "outsider" was unsuccessful: I did a half outside to inverted and it just wouldn't go any further. By the time I realized it was stuck, I was too low to try to drop it back into upright. So with the wings fluttering like a spastic sparrow, I slowly landed it in the grass upside down. Struck me funny at the time, anyway.

Dave
Yeah, I actually reinforced the wings with some 3mm carbon tube I salvaged from my original 28. That didn't add much weight but it did make the wings a lot stiffer. I just wish GWS would beef up the wing holders - they really are the achilles heel of the airplane. The stiff fuselage can be reglued but those holders are toast if you get the wings to flutter too much.

Actually, that's a pretty good story and I do wish that in similiar experiences I'd been so lucky. This plane is so easy and slow to fly that it encourages bad behavior. The last time I tried to do an outside loop it was around a soccer goal (no net installed of course). I got almost 180 degrees around the soccer goal but was quickly running out of airspace on the back side. I was determined though and gave full throttle and more elevator...

It wasn't pretty.

In other news, I just ordered some 20, 21, 24 and 27 guage wire from AllTronics and will probably order a DT700 from UH soon. Although it might seem really silly at first to spend so much time trying to optmize the motor for a Slow Stick I'd like to see if it's possible to do 19T of 20awg delta.

Whether overall efficiency will improve or not is another matter but aesthetics call for a thicker wire. Although I've yet to do any testing with the 18T of 22awg delta yet it certainly "felt right" in the plane with a 10x6 *D prop on a 3S 1300 Loong Max battery. So whatever I'm getting now is my "target" but if I can do it using a little less power that would be good by me...

-Shawn
Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:47 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Quote:
I just ordered some 20, 21, 24 and 27 guage wire from AllTronics and will probably order a DT700 from UH soon. Although it might seem really silly at first to spend so much time trying to optmize the motor for a Slow Stick I'd like to see if it's possible to do 19T of 20awg delta.
Woo! Now that's seriously going for it. I have my doubts, but it's a quest anyway. Wait'll you see that 20-gauge. Not as scary as 16, though, which looks like they just wound coat hangers around the spool ... personally I'm kind of to the point where if 22-gauge won't do it, I won't either.

Dave
Old Feb 22, 2008, 01:30 PM
Joined Sep 2006
2,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timocharis
Woo! Now that's seriously going for it. I have my doubts, but it's a quest anyway. Wait'll you see that 20-gauge. Not as scary as 16, though, which looks like they just wound coat hangers around the spool ... personally I'm kind of to the point where if 22-gauge won't do it, I won't either.

Dave
Stupid is as stupid does. Honestly, I've never seen anything bigger than 22 though so chances are it'll be good for a laugh when it arrives. Unfortunately, that arrival date just got pushed back a bit because the lady at Alltronics just called and said the 27awg I just ordered is out of stock and won't be in for a couple weeks. I'll let you guys know how it turns out when it does though.

-Shawn
Old Feb 22, 2008, 01:49 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
If you want to cancel that order, I have an almost full 20-gauge roll, about a 1/3 partial 21-gauge, a full 24-gauge (or a partial) and can send some 27 awg (but only have my one roll and I do occasionally use it).

I highly recommend taking this offer (pm me...)

Dave
Old Feb 22, 2008, 05:21 PM
Joined Sep 2006
2,018 Posts
Thanks Dave - that worked out very well.

In other news, I just got back from flying my Slow Stick and the 18T Delta really suits this model perfectly. Vertical flight with the 10x6 *D is slow but nearly unlimited - which is not what this plane is about - and slow cruise is between quarter to half throttle. So it's perfect.

And I had a close call today too - the last flight of the day ended with what was more of a stall at 5ft than a landing and I broke the prop. My initial thought was that I also bent the shaft or trashed the bearings but thankfully neither turned out to be true. So while this motor might not be the paradigm of rugged durability it's quite servicable if you don't abuse it. I'm really happy I bought it.

-Shawn
Old Feb 24, 2008, 08:48 AM
Plane and multirotor's - FPV
Moss, Norway
Joined Jun 2007
854 Posts
10x10"

Hi all !
I was wondering if anybody have tested this motor with a 10x10" APC propp ??
I am about to complete a 1\9 scale depron Spit from H-J plans and have a 11x7 HD GWS but i am not shore about pichspeed, AUW will be aprox 750-790g (28oz) and WS 48".

Thanks !

Kai

`And up she goes.....`
DrEvil is offline Find More Posts by DrEvil
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:38 AM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Kai,

I bet what will work best for you with this motor (if speed is an issue) is the APC 9x7.5 sf or just maybe the GWS 9x7.5 -- maybe one of the APC "E" props. But the 10x10 will probably turn out boggy (I'm just guessing).

Dave