HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2007, 06:00 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Manuel: that's exactly what I'm seeing. And it does drop down to around 72-73% when you get too high in the amps. That's why I'm going to move back into the same range, but just see if Wye makes any difference. 10T Wye should be much like 17T Delta...

Dave
timocharis is offline Find More Posts by timocharis
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2008, 09:33 PM
United States, VA, Bedford
Joined Sep 2006
2,018 Posts
How was the stator coating on the motor you had? Is it as good as the Blue Wonder? And do you think the (unusual) bearings in your motor would hold up to light use over the long haul?

I keep thinking this would be a slightly heavy but very efficient motor for a Slow Stick.

-Shawn
shawn595 is offline Find More Posts by shawn595
Old Jan 20, 2008, 09:57 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn595
How was the stator coating on the motor you had? Is it as good as the Blue Wonder?
About the same. It's fine.
Quote:
And do you think the (unusual) bearings in your motor would hold up to light use over the long haul?
The bearing itself is not unusual, and should be okay for a while barring a crash. The weird thing is putting such a large bearing in such a small tube diameter.
Quote:
I keep thinking this would be a slightly heavy but very efficient motor for a Slow Stick.
I actually think it would be just about perfect. The weight would not trouble an outdoor Slow Stick at all. It would probably be enough of a heavy lifter to do aerial recon on the cheap, with very little power use.

Dave
Old Jan 21, 2008, 06:09 AM
Joined Sep 2006
2,018 Posts
Thanks Dave - sounds like it's a go then.

-Shawn
Old Feb 13, 2008, 09:09 PM
Joined Sep 2006
2,018 Posts
My motor came in yesterday's mail and there's one thing you can't help but notice the first time you see it: This thing is BIG! I read through all your posts and looked at your pictures but it's still much larger than I expected.

I unwound it last night (didn't even bother to fire it up) and will hopefully be able to rewind it this weekend. I saved the original wire so I would have an idea of how long a piece each phase should be. I came up with... wait for it... 96" per phase! Good thing I ordered two rolls of 22' on my last order.

And while it's really weird to see a 4mm shaft inside of an 8mm tube mount I'm liking the motor mount this thing came with. Although I won't need it for mounting the motor to a Slow Stick I'm still happy to have it in the drawer nonetheless. I'm sure I'll find a use for it somewhere.

Unfortunately my motor came with some goop on the ends of the stator too. I sure wish they wouldn't do that.. And it would be nice if the bell was some other color than metallic seafoam green. <cough>Red</cough> But I'm being picky - this is a good motor for $14 shipped and should serve well in my Slow Stick.

-Shawn
Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:34 PM
Joined Aug 2007
1,503 Posts
Shawn

Ive got a home built 12 pole at 71 grams as against 77 for your one, its on of all things a 15 Oz all up weight foamy , that has an enourmous well over 650 sq inch of area with a 12 x6 prop

its my favorite plane , the hover is just great and fairly easy with a medium punchout and 1500 3S
No noise;; just prop whoosh as its really detuned to about 120 watts , estimate as I have not had a volt or ampmeter on it
Im buying a 13 x 6 for it so I can see the blades going around The slow speed and hover handling is critical as I catch it every flight
I actually ran a 9x6 wind on it with 9x6 prop and not too bad but the hover was yucky so diameter is critical I found , has to be big or bigger
good flying
NX-687 is offline Find More Posts by NX-687
Old Feb 14, 2008, 12:52 AM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
I'm going to be very interested to hear your results, Shawn. How do the bearings sound on yours?

Dave
Old Feb 14, 2008, 09:12 AM
Joined Sep 2006
2,018 Posts
NX-687, thanks for the info. I haven't actually done enough research to know how heavy my Slow Stick should be but I still expect it to float around some. No vertical hovering for this plane though.

Dave: I have three days off this weekend and I'm hoping to get it would and tested then. I'm also interested to try out the dLRK for Delta wind too - should be interesting.

The bearings in mine don't feel any better or any worse than the bearings in your typical blue wonder. I don't consider my "turn it in your hand" test a good indicator for how good the bearings really are though but I'll report my findings after I run it up. The good news is that my Watt's Up meter came in last week so my testing results should be a bit more accurate than they were in the past.

As of right now I have both a GWS 10x6 HD and one of the UH/HC APC 10x4.7 SF clones to use for testing. I might see if my LHS has a genuine APC 10x4.7 SF prop to compare against the clone but without a proper thrust stand it'll be impossible to make any real determinations after the testing. I'll be able to give differences in rpm and their corresponding amperages but that's about it. But I'm getting a little ahead of myself here - I don't think I've ever come across two APC props that worked the same either!!

-Shawn
Last edited by shawn595; Feb 14, 2008 at 09:55 AM. Reason: edit for typos
Old Feb 14, 2008, 03:59 PM
Joined Aug 2007
1,503 Posts
Shawn

Good luck with your wind
10 inch props seem a good start
Im amazed at the long poles on this motor and not surprised that there is what,,,,,, 43 Ozs of thrust locked up in there at 180 watts
Great power at good cost
I would be interested in hearing a 13 or 14 inch prop wind for it
A bit extreme ,but very World War 1 ish
NX-687 is offline Find More Posts by NX-687
Old Feb 14, 2008, 05:28 PM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,387 Posts
Shawn
An Motor like this, can not be used with a APC10x4, 7,
Since its RPM limit is 6500. And these can be reached easily with only 130 watts.
This same motor gives Timocharis above 6900rpm with this prop. Even gives up what is allowed with a 11x4.7
In contrast with a 10x6 GWS and within the 185Watts be a wind of about 14T. 8500rpm and approximate. 35oz., 43mph.

14T, 20-21AWG is what I want to do to my motor, which is to come.

Manuel V.
manuel v is online now Find More Posts by manuel v
Old Feb 14, 2008, 05:53 PM
Joined Sep 2006
2,018 Posts
Thanks for the advice NX and Manuel.

I'll definitely take your advice to heart when testing the motor with the 10x4.7. I may still fly the motor with the 10x4.7 though because I know I won't be using WOT much when flying it with the Slow Stick. And if I did I think the wings would probably fail long before the prop would. Still, thanks for the warning.

-Shawn
Old Feb 15, 2008, 02:46 AM
Joined Dec 2007
1,454 Posts
Great bang for the buck motor with a 12 tooth stator to boot you cant go wrong really. And such a breeze to rewind. This sucker makes 22g look like 26g in the picks. It appears with some struggle you could pack the same amount of winds in 21g.
Amp Abuser is online now Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
Old Feb 16, 2008, 06:00 PM
Joined Sep 2006
2,018 Posts
I got my motor wound up 18T delta and just finished soldering everything up. So far I've only run up to 3/4 throttle with a GWS 10x6 HD and a Loong Max 3S 1800 lipo but mine runs quietly. It's not totally silent but it's a lot quieter than my Axi 2212-20.

For the record, I'm mouting it to the plane with the Tower Pro Alloy Stick mount and I'm making sure that the clamp is as close to the stator as possible because I don't want to pinch down on the rear bearing. I'm also using nuts to hold the prop on the shaft the same way we did with the 400C GWS gearboxes.

So no test results yet but my motor is pretty quiet. It's probably not a quiet as a a Blue Wonder but it's definitely quieter than the last TowerPro bell motor junker I had.

(And for the record, if you're running this thing indoors make sure you clear all the small loose objects out of the room before you fire it up. If all you've been playing with laterly are Blue Wonder's this thing is going to feel like a leaf blower. I'm still not exactly sure I'm going to mount the motor to when I test it. Perhaps the coffee table.)
Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:36 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Oh dang then. Probably I got a mechanical lemon as far as noise goes -- might have to get another. And yeah, this thing delivers some serious breeze. Pumps like crazy on surprisingly little power.

Fun, huh? Think it'll drag that slowstick around?

Dave
Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:13 AM
Joined Sep 2006
2,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timocharis
Fun, huh? Think it'll drag that slowstick around?

Dave
I think I might need to get stronger rubberbands.

If you decide to get another one I hope you get a good one. I'm thinking of getting another one just to play with. The good news is that the shipping weight of the motor isn't elevated at all; their shipping weight is exactly how much it weighs... Heck, I might just get another one before they notice it.

-Shawn