HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2008, 09:35 PM
willfly4$
United States, MS, Bay St Louis
Joined Apr 2005
250 Posts
i saw earlier in the thread that someone was wondering about a wind for the APC12x3.8sf, before the earth reclaimed my snaphappy brio10 i slapped the 12x3.8 on to get the amp draw for ya, 19amps on the stock wind somewhere around 11.5volts with a fresh zippy 1600 3s (which is no longer with us), didnt get the rpms but probably "to high" im still running one of these in my CM-3D-36 with 11x4.7sf and she flies nice, i love the low amp draw on this motor!! 12 minutes with a ABF 2000 3s yesterday
later
cleatis is offline Find More Posts by cleatis
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2008, 10:34 PM
United States, VA, Bedford
Joined Sep 2006
2,018 Posts
Bass: Thanks for the info regarding the Turnigy. I definitely glad I waited before ordering one as the motor doesn't sound like something I'd ever be really happy with.

As for the wind recommendation, what's the pitch of the 9" prop you're looking to use and how many amps are you trying to limit yourself to? Without having any other details I'd start with 15T of 21 awg Delta and go from there. I got 14.5 amps spinning a GWS 10x6 prop with the 16T of 21 delta but I couldn't get a solid reading with the Tach so I can't give more exact results. Hopefully that's a good starting point for you though.

Cleatis: Sorry to hear about the loss of the Brio. Loosing a plane you enjoy is never easy. Hopefully a replacement is in the works soon..

-Shawn
shawn595 is offline Find More Posts by shawn595
Old Jun 04, 2008, 05:05 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass3587
Yes it's the stock wind. I want to order another one to rewind but I've had to take a rest from winding motors for awhile. Fingers cramp up when I start winding motors.

The Turnigy 35-30C is an ok motor for me. Nothing spectacular about it except it's color. I got the purple one before they changed the name from HXT to Turnigy. Now it did turn 38oz on a 11x7HD@18 amps, but I think it was pushing the motor. I wouldn't run a 11x7 during the hot summer months we have here in Texas. Well maybe I could if I use some throttle management..........NOT!!! Oh Shawn the 35-30B is a great motor for my AP Zagnutz wing. Being limited to a 9" prop that motor would pull 24 amps and give me 41 oz of thrust.

Back on topic what wind would you choose for a 9 inch prop?
Well I put the 3530/1100 on a 10x7 APC and got similar draws and thrusts..ok we don't fly flat out all the time, but the motor wasn't even warm...it seems perfectly OK to me as a 'good sport motor' at the 180W or so level.

I think that you have to be fair to these motors and consider the intended target market: For us it falls exactly between the 'jolly nice and all, but to durned expensive' and 'so badly made customers will moan about it' camps.

Sensibly propped and flown, its smooth quiet and powerful.

I'd probably go 1300-1500kV for a 9" prop.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jun 04, 2008, 11:18 PM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
Vintage I may have been a little hard on the Turnigy as the numbers really aren't that bad. When I said I was limited to a 9 inch prop that was the clearance I had on the wing
bass3587 is offline Find More Posts by bass3587
Old Jun 07, 2008, 06:04 AM
How high does it go?..duh
Currently in...UK
Joined Jun 2004
2,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis
i saw earlier in the thread that someone was wondering about a wind for the APC12x3.8sf, before the earth reclaimed my snaphappy brio10 i slapped the 12x3.8 on to get the amp draw for ya, 19amps on the stock wind somewhere around 11.5volts with a fresh zippy 1600 3s (which is no longer with us)
Thanks cleatis

Again cheers for the help guys!

Well I've eventually got all my kit together and I've stripped my first motor down, just a quick question, (sorry if its a bit dumb but these will be my first attempts at motor winding)..is this the correct pattern to wind dLRK?
Thanks
Ian
Pigs dont fly is offline Find More Posts by Pigs dont fly
Last edited by Pigs dont fly; Jun 07, 2008 at 06:11 AM.
Old Jun 07, 2008, 07:12 AM
Joined Sep 2006
2,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs dont fly
Thanks cleatis

Again cheers for the help guys!

Well I've eventually got all my kit together and I've stripped my first motor down, just a quick question, (sorry if its a bit dumb but these will be my first attempts at motor winding)..is this the correct pattern to wind dLRK?
Thanks
Ian
Yep, that's the Delta variant of the two dLRK winding styles and it's the one you want to use for the DT750.

Here's a link to Dave's (timocharis) excellent dLRK winding turturial.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736580

The tutorial for the Delta variant starts on 39.

-Shawn
Old Jun 07, 2008, 10:33 AM
How high does it go?..duh
Currently in...UK
Joined Jun 2004
2,635 Posts
Excellent, cheers Shawn.
Pigs dont fly is offline Find More Posts by Pigs dont fly
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:39 AM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,180 Posts
I test my 16turn h750. with GWS 10x6 8300rpm. in 50 In WS., 40oz.
all Ok. in a very hot day. around 118 grades F.

Manuel v.
manuel v is online now Find More Posts by manuel v
Last edited by manuel v; Jul 29, 2008 at 02:17 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:53 AM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
My 18-turn finally saw air time Saturday at our annual Slow Stick Stuffup. Handled itself very well indeed. Good power and very durable... here's a photo showing the durability test. Note that the fuse is bent first toward you, then back toward the tail. That was a heck of a crash! Then the whole mess fell from about 100 feet straight to the dirt.

Motor runs fine!

Dave
timocharis is offline Find More Posts by timocharis
Old Jun 23, 2008, 12:00 PM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,812 Posts
Manuel
That is a pretty plane with classic lines. Must look great up in the air. The motor is a nice power unit for the plane. You must get many enjoyable flights with it. I have this motoat present flying 3 of my planes. I just ordered 2 more. I have 7 of these motors now. Three have been wound also with 16 turn 22AWG wire. One is in my 44oz. Fokker Dr-1 Triplane with a 13X4 APC-e prop. It is now perfect with this setup. I am very happy at this level.
Good luck and thanks for your help once again.
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is online now Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Jun 23, 2008, 01:20 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,812 Posts
Dave.
Pretty good motor. Built like a rock. I have seen some of the Stck fuselages bend. Yours was extra bent. This Slo-Stick some day will be a classic. I bet it was a good seller for GWS. I see the newer ones have thicker tail feathers and fibreglass fuselage. I even saw a carbon fuselage replacement on the market recently.
**Neons** Bob
Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:23 PM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,180 Posts
Thanks Bob.
I going to try big prop. in Fall.

Manuel V.
manuel v is online now Find More Posts by manuel v
Old Jul 13, 2008, 06:08 PM
Joined Sep 2006
2,018 Posts
New wind, new (to me) plane

I bought a Typhoon 3D off a fellow RCG groups member a few weeks ago and finally got around messing with it yesterday. The plane originally came with an inrunner and a gearbox but I thought it was the perfect size for the DT750. I was right - the Hextronic is about the same weight as the inrunner and gearbox combo and is a perfect match for the model. I've rewound mine to 17T of 21awg Alltronics wire and am using a GWS 12X6 HD prop. I still wouldn't call this a 3D setup though and that's fine with me. I bought it with the intention of making it an aerobatic sport flyer and got what I was looking for.

Unfortunately, I can't give any any real test data with this setup yet though because I just moved last month and still don't a thrust stand yet. I've been looking at the one BPHobbies sells but don't think it's big enough for 200 - 300 watt setups. A quick reading from my WattsUp gives just under 22 amps static though and the plane has unlimited vertical with this powertrain combination. In case you're wondering, the mess in between the prop and the bell of the motor is for clearing the cowl of the plane.

And for you motor p0rn fans, I've attached a couple photos of the 14T of 20 awg wire I did. It still hasn't been tested yet but the plan is to use it with a GWS 10x6 HD and the new A123 racing 1100 mah cells in a 3S pack. That should be a pretty petty setup for my little Super Cub. I'll report back after testing is complete.

-Shawn
Old Jul 13, 2008, 06:44 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,812 Posts
Hi Shawn,
That Typhoon looks like it is going to be a fun sport flyer. The windings on your motor look great. I am still havivg great success with my motors also. I bought 2 more and they tested pretty good stock. I now have 7 of them and using 5 so far in different applications. 3 have been rewound. Good luck
**Neons** Bob
Old Aug 13, 2008, 03:42 PM
Build, fly, learn!
Versailles, France
Joined Jul 2008
495 Posts
Hi,
After reading all the good things about this motor here, I decided to order one a couple of weeks ago. I got it delivered yesterday with an APCe 12x6 prop (well, the "APC-style" prop sold at HC) and tested it today. It managed a cool > 6400rpm on a freshly charged Zippy 3S 1800mAh battery pack.
The ESC is a Super Simple Programmable 30A and apparently it is working well with this motor/battery combo. After 35s WOT both the motor and ESC were barely warm, battery was cold.
6400rpm on this prop I believe works out to nearly 40oz. (1100g) thrust which is exactly the kind of thrust I need for the 25oz. (720g) Depron Regal Bipe (plans by Kaos2) I am building.
Thanks to Shawn for answering my questions about this motor in a PM I shot him!
BTW is there anything I should be aware of concerning this motor, or pay attention to? That's the paranoid side of me, I have to worry in advance...
ADB2 is offline Find More Posts by ADB2