HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2002, 05:47 AM
I "plant" trees (balsa)
Eisenschmitt, Germany
Joined Jan 2002
777 Posts
Joni, unless you have different Sanyo RC2400's and CP1700's than I have, there is a real weight difference.

The RC 2400 is 58 grams times 10 equals 580 grams
The CP 1700 is 44 grams times 18 is 792 grams

Have I missed something (as usual)??

When I use RC 2400's I only have 8 (eight) of them. When I go to a 10 cell pack I switch to CP 1700's. That menas the pack size and weight is very nearly the same for me.

The length of 6 X CP1700's is about 200mm and 5 X CP 2400's is about 220mm, so you are correct that the 1700's are a bit shorter in your application.
Gary Retterbush is offline Find More Posts by Gary Retterbush
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2002, 07:01 AM
Finland
Joined Sep 2001
43 Posts
Gary you are rigth about the weight. My weight for CP 1700 was 33g which of course is not correct. Thanks for pointing that out.

Joni Piililš is offline Find More Posts by Joni Piililš
Old Dec 20, 2002, 12:59 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Jun 2000
5,597 Posts
Joni,

Long wire is not a problem ( yes, shorter the better) but long one just need to increase the wire size. I don't think you will noticed the difference at the current level that you are drawing. Use 13 or larger guage wires.

Brian
bhchan is online now Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Dec 20, 2002, 04:59 PM
Foamie Hater
Joined Jul 2001
308 Posts
Well I got my MG today, Finally! I guess 8 weeks isn't too bad since it wasn't even made until I ordered it. I got the full span aileron version and plan to stuff a Hacker F5F carbon motor/ Master 105 controller that I bought for it. My only problem is I don't know which servos to put in the tail. What's everyone using? I want to use the stock tail servo covers so that rules out the Dymonds somebody was using. How about JR241?
flyerman is offline Find More Posts by flyerman
Old Dec 20, 2002, 05:06 PM
I "plant" trees (balsa)
Eisenschmitt, Germany
Joined Jan 2002
777 Posts
Try the 241's and let us know how they work. IMHO they are a bit weak in the knees for the task but YMMV. They are also 11mm thick.
Gary Retterbush is offline Find More Posts by Gary Retterbush
Old Dec 20, 2002, 05:17 PM
Foamie Hater
Joined Jul 2001
308 Posts
Well I can get the JR/Graupner DS281 which is just a 241 digital from Etienne at Icare. It's the same servo I put in my Ellipse4 tail. I guess I can sand it down a bit. There has to be a servo for this application. What servo did Bruce use, How about everone who owns a MG post the servos they used for the tail and if they fit the servo covers.
Old Dec 21, 2002, 12:24 AM
E-Scale & Sailplane Guy
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2001
262 Posts
I used Graupner C261 in the tail - I think they are same as JR241. They work fine. I had to sand the cases slightly, and move the servos closer to the spar, for the covers to fit.
Bruce DeVisser is offline Find More Posts by Bruce DeVisser
Old Dec 21, 2002, 06:06 AM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,129 Posts
Dymond D60's, Ripmax SD150 and Irvine 'Topaz' are all the same servo as far as I can tell. I'm using the SD150's in my Organic and also have a pair sitting here waiting to go in the tail of my M-G. These are only 9mm thick and I don't think you'll find a smaller or thinner servo which has similar torque, or a geartrain which is so tight.
GordonTarling is offline Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Dec 21, 2002, 12:26 PM
Foamie Hater
Joined Jul 2001
308 Posts
I want to use my stock servo covers so I can't use the Dymond d60. I think I'm going to get the JR DS281 digital micros. I have two already and they are really tight, center great, and seem to have more than enough torque.
Old Dec 21, 2002, 03:35 PM
Supersonic Engineering
Joined Mar 2001
3,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by flyerman
[B]I want to use my stock servo covers so I can't use the Dymond d60.
Sorry, I don't quite understand why the servo covers prevent you using the D60's. They are about as small and thin a servo as you could get to suit this application, so what's so special about the DS281's that will allow you to use the standard covers? I'm intrigued to find out more!
Old Dec 21, 2002, 06:36 PM
Foamie Hater
Joined Jul 2001
308 Posts
If I remember correctly Gary used the D60 in the tail and the stock servo covers didn't fit. If I'm wrong let me know. One question, Did you guys add another plate to the motor mount. I mounted my motor with the stock firewall but my shaft sticks out too far. I need to add a ply disc to the inside of the firewall to move the motor back a few mm. What's the best way to go about cutting a disc and glueing it to the inside?
Old Dec 22, 2002, 02:37 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Jun 2000
5,597 Posts
FWIW, I use HS-125 on the tail of the Full size Graphite. The HS-125 (or HS-5125,digital) is 10mm thick and fit in the tail just fine. Forgo the carbon servo cover and used tape instead. Most use 241/261, the DS-281 has less power than the 241/261, but with digital controller(!).

Brian, an EAJ in SanMateo.Ca.US
bhchan is online now Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Dec 22, 2002, 07:17 AM
Supersonic Engineering
Joined Mar 2001
3,129 Posts
Quote:
If I remember correctly Gary used the D60 in the tail and the stock servo covers didn't fit. If I'm wrong let me know.
I'm fairly certain that Gary didn't get the bulged servo covers with his model and that he bought them from somewhere else. Those D60's should fit fine under the bulged cover. Those HS5125/125's definitely WON'T!
Old Dec 22, 2002, 08:42 PM
Foamie Hater
Joined Jul 2001
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GordonTarling
I'm fairly certain that Gary didn't get the bulged servo covers with his model and that he bought them from somewhere else. Those D60's should fit fine under the bulged cover. Those HS5125/125's definitely WON'T!
Am I missing something here. I want to use the stock servo covers, The carbon ones that come with the model. I know Gary's servo covers were bought because the stock servo covers didn't fit with the D60's. So I take it that the stock carbon servo covers won't work with the D60's. Gordon, Am I wrong?
Old Dec 23, 2002, 09:13 AM
Supersonic Engineering
Joined Mar 2001
3,129 Posts
Quote:
Am I missing something here. I want to use the stock servo covers, The carbon ones that come with the model. I know Gary's servo covers were bought because the stock servo covers didn't fit with the D60's. So I take it that the stock carbon servo covers won't work with the D60's. Gordon, Am I wrong?
I think you're telling me that what you describe as a 'stock' servo cover is a totally flat one. If this is the case, then it certainly won't accomodate servos thicker than a D60. FWIW, I've attached a picture of the covers which came with my M-G - these wil easily accomdate the D60's. If your covers don't look like this, then you have the wrong ones.