HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2007, 05:14 PM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Video
3D Hobby Shop 55" Katana Video: Take 2

I was able to get our yesterday and get 5 more packs through my 3DHS 55" Katana. Man I'm I loving this plane!! For 3 of the packs all I did was just harrier around not more than 2-3 ft. off the runway. The Katana is such a great airplane to fly precision and 3D down low with.

The Katana is such an easy plane to land too (see video).

Tim
sun.flyer is offline Find More Posts by sun.flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2007, 06:59 PM
Everything flies....
So Cal
Joined Oct 2003
1,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun.flyer
I was able to get our yesterday and get 5 more packs through my 3DHS 55" Katana. Man I'm I loving this plane!! For 3 of the packs all I did was just harrier around not more than 2-3 ft. off the runway. The Katana is such a great airplane to fly precision and 3D down low with.

The Katana is such an easy plane to land too (see video).

Tim

Nice harrier landings! I flew two packs this morning with the cg moved back as far as I could get it and it was an improvement for me. I was also working on my harriers, it seems to really like to dip the right wing and I spend a lot of time countering that especially while steering it around, I really need to get a new cam battery so I can get some video. It was good to see your flight it helps think about what I'm doing when I fly, but again I need video so I can really see what I'm doing post flight.

Bill
PlasticHead is offline Find More Posts by PlasticHead
Old Nov 27, 2007, 12:11 PM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,319 Posts
Tim, great flying. Any tips to share on how you learned and to begin the process?
78dave is offline Find More Posts by 78dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2007, 12:33 PM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78dave
Tim, great flying. Any tips to share on how you learned and to begin the process?
Dave,

Sure!!

R/C Simulators:

To me this has been the best learning tool for me for learning how to fly 3D as well as improving on my precision flying over the past couple of years. It allows you to experiement with new flying techniques and manuvers with the ease of pushing a space bar or button should you happen to crash (happens a lot while learning). There are many good r/c simulators out on the market today and each will have there pros and cons and alot will come down to personal preference and how much $$$ you want to invest in a good r/c simulator. Here is a list of a few of my personally favorites:

Aero Fly Pro Deluxe

Real Flight G4 (newest version, G 3 and G 3.5 are also good)

Reflex XTR

FSOne

Another tool that has really helped me on many of my 3D manuevers and understanding how the airplane will react has been Scott Stoops book, The Pilot's Guide to Mastering Radio Controlled Flight. This book not only shows you how to fly 3D and precision manuvers but it also shows you how to trim and setup airplane correctly. It is something that I think everyone can learn from and I still find myself using it as a refrerence quite often.

When it is time to get a 3D plane I think starting out with a plane that can take a little abuse and keep flying works out the best. I loved the use of EPP foam as part of my first airplanes when I learned to start flying 3D. A great plane I like that fits this bill is something like this one. Once you are comfortable flying EPP then moving into a balsa 3D ship that flies like a foamy helps out the learning curve A LOT. Without a doubt the best balsa plane that has taught me more about flying low, and enjoying 3D flight has been the 3D Hobby Shop 47" Extra 300 SHP. I really consider this a 3D trainer of sorts as it has no bad characteristics and build up a new 3D pilots confidence very quickly.

Aside from that practice, practice, practice, and more practice is really what it comes down to in learning this wonderful thing we call 3D flying.

Hope this helps out some Dave!!

Tim
sun.flyer is offline Find More Posts by sun.flyer