SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 16, 2002, 08:39 PM
I.B.
Joined Oct 2001
563 Posts
GEE BEE SPORSTSTER!! Anyone Done and Flying Yet???

Anyone Finish the Graupner Fomie yet? Mine is in the process. Will use DD Mega 16/15/4 with8c/cp1300's. Stock wheels have already been chucked,weigh a ton. Was wondering if I should tape all hinges? Because the rudder hinge is almost in half allready. Any ldeas on a tape to acomplish this? THNX BOB
IBbob31 is online now Find More Posts by IBbob31
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2002, 01:10 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,790 Posts
Tip: Just use the Search function on top of the page and type "Gee Bee Sportster". Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Dec 17, 2002, 09:46 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,416 Posts
Bob,

It sounds like you bent the rudder too far. Ideally, it should not be bent more than +- 45 degrees.

Since I hinged the bottom of my rudder anyway, why not just hinge the whole thing?

An alternative would be some Graupner Hinge Tape that comes in either white or clear.

I also like the 3M "Blenderm" transparent tape because it stretches.

Good luck!
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Dec 17, 2002, 04:43 PM
I.B.
Joined Oct 2001
563 Posts
I bent the rudder as little as possible. The foam was extra "grainy"in the hingeline ala Twinjet. To look cleaner i'll install small pin hinges. THNX BOB
Old Dec 17, 2002, 05:22 PM
Joined Jan 2002
392 Posts
Well, I have flown my Gee Bee 4 times now, and I am NOT IMPRESSED. I used all the equipment that HL recommend and built it as per the plans.

Flight times are barely 2mins. Although the plane takes off with authority, the pack gets very hot, very quick(hotter than any of my other planes).

The other thing I am disappointed with, is that it seems to crab in the air. I am an experienced pilot, and tried to correct this with ruccer, but to no avail. I have checked that everything is squared and centered.

If you have any suggestions, comments or anything that I may help you with in the building process, let me know.
ivorz is offline Find More Posts by ivorz
Old Dec 17, 2002, 06:33 PM
I.B.
Joined Oct 2001
563 Posts
The plane looks "DEAD NUTZ" straight, i'm impressed for a foam plane. The tail assy is perfectly aligned to the wing! Mine should fly really good. Your power problems i anticipated so going with Mega DD 16/15/4 and Castle Creations 35a brushless speed control,8c/cp1300 and 7/4, 7/5, 7/6 APC slowflyer prop for some fun!!! Only 480 to ever work good for me was in TWIN JET w/480 retimed!
Old Dec 17, 2002, 08:18 PM
Joined Jan 2002
392 Posts
let me know what happens.
Flight times
power
etc

I may have to go that way too.

PS are the cp1300's able to fit in the fuse under the wing?
Old Dec 17, 2002, 09:24 PM
I.B.
Joined Oct 2001
563 Posts
Cells need to be in a single row side by side. oooooooo But if it will balance, a stagered hump pack arangement could also be used. Many fellows at our field fly with Jeti 15/3 or 4 DD with APC 7x6 Slo fly props w/8c cp1300's and just putt around shooting touch & go's and get great duration and aerobatic punch, DD keeps the prop small to look very scale. I wanted to try Mega 400 sized first and if it dosen't work out can always match thiers and reuse CC controller on Jeti! BOB
Old Dec 18, 2002, 09:36 AM
Joined Jan 2002
392 Posts
I have a 15/4 jeti in another plane. Do you think this will work in the Gee Bee?
Old Dec 18, 2002, 10:39 AM
I.B.
Joined Oct 2001
563 Posts
The planes i speak of are old 80's era foam Graupner Chipmonks. Thery are similar size and wt, so should work fine.They do low stress aerobatics also but probally be hard to repair after a big "Dumb Thumb" BOB http://sefsd.org/2003Events/mwe2003/Index.html
Old Dec 18, 2002, 11:02 AM
Joined Jan 2002
392 Posts
Thanks for the info.
BTW , what I am looking for on the link you posted?
Old Dec 18, 2002, 05:25 PM
Joined Jan 2002
392 Posts
What about the option of switching to a speed400 6v with 8x600ae cells

Would this work?
Old Dec 18, 2002, 05:51 PM
I.B.
Joined Oct 2001
563 Posts
You said you tried the 480 and it was week, the 400 would be worse! The link was for the Mid Winter Electrics in San Diego,many unique aircraft will be there. A great time is had by all who can make it.
Old Dec 19, 2002, 09:18 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,202 Posts
I know advertising pays the bills ,Dave but......

why do we have those ad stickeys that sound like ths SOS the magazines are putting out...."well designed ...fun to build and fly....yada yada yada"......I know those guys have to stroke the advertisers( money), but couldn't there be a little more honesty here...any faults will only show UP later and take AWAY from the credibility of the editors......ever read a bad review in the mags ...not lately......it is time that the buck stops and the truth starts......just because you guys have access to all sorts of exotic motors and have the money /staff available to make any thing fly (or so they say), we don't.......and being stuck with some overinflated TUB that was recommended by people we are supposed to believe are on our side is really a bummer and in the long run how companies go under......Fly wolf!!!! This Gee bee looked TUBBY from the get go ......just an opinion!!!!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Dec 19, 2002, 03:01 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
GPW - Are you implying that Greg made his review up or at least skirted over any problems just to make the advertiser happy; that's quite an allegation to make against the Greg and the Ezone.

As I read the review he built it stock and it flew well. No extra time/staff or exotic motors required.

You should read the English modelling press, they are often critical of kits.
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms