SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 19, 2008, 05:38 AM
No substitue for watts!
Lancing, West Sussex, England
Joined Oct 2003
391 Posts
Great review,
I've had the MIFO for about five years now, and thoroughly enjoy it. I have gone to carbon control rods - the Kevlar pull-pull is OK but I was forever replacing them (s'pose I shouldn't play combat really )

Our club has just resurected indoor flying, and guess what was my first-choice model for the inaugrual meeting?

Tom
Tom Gaskin is offline Find More Posts by Tom Gaskin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2008, 10:19 AM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,954 Posts
kevlar thread improvement

Hey folks

I have built and flown these for a long time. By far the IFO/mini is still one of my favorite airplanes.

I have many a fond memory of flying my ifo from the comfort of my living room couch - out the porch doors and into the yard - and back for a carrier landing on my coffee table!

I have sold or given away all but one mini that has been ready to cover for over a year with no progress......maybe this will motivate me.

There were was one huge durability improvement I incorporated from my second one on . .upgrade the stock kevlar to that which is sold by the rocket folks on ebay....it is the old K&S stuff, about twice the thickness of the stock stuff but does manifold improvement to the main joints, esc at the front T and the landing gear mount.

Other than that, only advise I have for those new to the ifo design is - dont fly it fast to the point you get a flat pitch attitude, it will tuck under so fast your head will spin. . . . .other than that, it is one of the easiest planes I can think of to fly in your house and will not do any real damage to interior furnishings as the prop is protected from what you impact.

The small low kv hektronic cdrom motors are killer on this plane with an 8" prop..I use foam balls on the landing gear strut to protect the house from scratches. 2 s 900 mah packs from dealextreame are the latest and greatest.

enjoy
pval3 is offline Find More Posts by pval3
Old Jan 20, 2008, 07:06 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,316 Posts
I have also used Kevlar thread in fly tying. That might b another resource for a variety of thicker material.

Thanks evryone for your ideas and improvements. The mini is a great platform for trying new things.
78dave is offline Find More Posts by 78dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2008, 01:02 PM
North Bay, Ontario
Joined Dec 2003
15 Posts
Maidened My Mini

Thanks for the great review Dave. I completed my mini this week and put in a maiden flight in our local gymnasium at our weekly indoor flying evening on Friday. My first impression of the Mini IFO? Outstanding! What a blast to fly. The only disappointment that I have is that I didn't buy an IFO sooner. After I used up one pack worth of power I let my son have a go at the Mini and he immediately remarked that he too had to have one What a great indoor aircraft. The Mini IFO may very well be the "Stik" of indoor electrics.

Cheers,

Peter
wesson is offline Find More Posts by wesson
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:21 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,773 Posts
I've got a mini too, and like the others have said it's my favorite plane. I coulda saved a load of money in this hobby by buying this one first and not have bought my other planes.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:28 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL
Thanks for the review.Well done!

The IFO really is a classic.
Mine has almost 400 flight hours on it.
The plane that's always ready to fly!!

Favorite mods...

Rudder.... Flat spins to die for, torque rolls and cartwheel-n-go's.

Carbon control rods.

rc

WOW....look at all them control linkages and stuff !!!

Men At Work - Overkill (1983) (3 min 44 sec)
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Feb 11, 2008, 07:33 PM
Frequent Flyer
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Nov 2001
757 Posts
The mini IFO has given me more pleasure than any other airplane design. Dan Kreigh is responsible for hundreds of hours of pure fun and tinkering here in Central Ohio.
Nowell York is offline Find More Posts by Nowell York
Old Feb 11, 2008, 07:58 PM
Over the Hill, 3rd Oak Tree on left
Joined Nov 2005
218 Posts
Dave,

I want one but don't want to build.. do you have an ARF that I can just add my electronics to ??

CS
Captain Speedy is offline Find More Posts by Captain Speedy
Old Feb 11, 2008, 09:07 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
He does sale RTF on his site. http://wildrc.com/htmlpages/orderminiifo.html
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Feb 16, 2008, 06:11 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Just stumbled on to your review ... well done! I did the review on the new T-IFO (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=Tifo) when Dan Sent me the beta kit. For several years I did all the Tech Support for Dan and he sent my families picture up on Space Ship One as part of the cargo ballast and returned it too me certified as flown on Space Ship One! It still sits in a place of honor on my picture shelf. Several videos of his IFO's on my website (www.boomerseflight.com) along with a Micro IFO I built from scaling down a version of Dan's with a little elongation of the fuse to WS ratio. I use a Len's 17t brushless on the one in the old video. One of the great flyers of all time. I still have several!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Last edited by boomerace; Feb 16, 2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 02:23 PM
I'm disoriented!
Mt. Laurel, NJ, USA
Joined Aug 2000
948 Posts
I believe you mean the CG to be 10 cm behind the front of the fuselage tip, correct?
ChrisD is offline Find More Posts by ChrisD
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:49 PM
Montreal, Qc. Canada
Joined May 2007
501 Posts
Great review!!. Not too many negatives about this plane. I'm getting one for sure!

Thank you!

Mario
callmemario is offline Find More Posts by callmemario
Old Dec 29, 2009, 01:40 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
You wont regret it! Its an awesome model, I was flying mine through all the playground equipment yesterday..... I should get vids of that.

There are a couple negatives that can bite ya. Speed is the enemy on this one, when it goes to fast the airframe will tuck and lose response. Its very sensitive to wind. I have flown mine in some crazy winds but understand its a kite so if you lose throttle its going sailing....
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Jan 05, 2010, 05:57 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,316 Posts
I have one that needs to be recovered. You can get the rip stop at the fabric store. PM me if interested.
78dave is offline Find More Posts by 78dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2010, 03:51 PM
North Bay, Ontario
Joined Dec 2003
15 Posts
78dave:

After I bought my original Mini IFO, I began to scratch build my own. It was a pretty easy task and I built one for a friend, one for my son and a back-up for me, but I had a heck of a time trying to find ripstop nylon in Canada; at a fabric store or otherwise. I finally found, not only the ripstop, but all the carbon fiber as well (in longer lengths) from a company called Goodwind Kites in Mount Vernon, Washington. They have great selection of carbon and some fantastic colors of ripstop; the neons are great! I made a number of modifications including using one piece of carbon for the frame (instead of joining two pieces), a better motor mounting system, I used micro control horns on the elevons and went to a traditional pushrod system rather than the pull/pull thread on the controls. The Mini IFO is a wonderful addition to your hanger. With the folding main gear, it makes for a nice flat and relatively small package. When I go away on business trips or vacations I always take along the IFO so Iím never stuck looking for something to do in the off hours .

http://www.goodwinds.com/index.shtml

Peter
wesson is offline Find More Posts by wesson