HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:42 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,570 Posts
The wing mounted LG do present a problem.

For grass I had a more novel solution for my Dumas GB E. I attached the LG with magnets. When it landed in the grass the LG just sheared off. It was hand launched.

I have had the same kind of issue with the 1/4 scale GB E. Tires have no give and LG is stiff. I broke out the LG blocks on one attempt. So have resorted to sprung struts.

Not sure how to fix the little one except for smoother landings on smooth runways.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:37 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Jun 2006
1,046 Posts
For a minor increase in weight, I'm going to install hard balsa landing gear rails in the inner bays of the wing and bend the top part of the landing gear wire 90 to run in them. That should spread the landing loads out quite a bit. I'm also going to laminate the inner wing ribs with carbon mat. I may also try to run some kind of kevlar fishing line rigging similar to what the real one had to better reinforce the landing gear.

Did the real Gee Bee Z have sheeted wings like the R1/R2? that would be too much of a weight penalty on the small one but it would add tremendous strength.
umdpru is offline Find More Posts by umdpru
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:51 AM
Malanda, QLD Australia
Joined Jul 2004
968 Posts
The 'Z' wings were fabric covered aft of the main spar.
Mine is ready to cover (that should read STILL ready to cover after more than a year) but I'm once again contemplating adding the huge wing root fairings. Probably not a good idea since it flies so well as designed...
Zephyr41 is offline Find More Posts by Zephyr41
Old Mar 03, 2012, 07:03 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
The kit and graphics arrived about a week after ordering -- both well packed and arrived without any damage. The plans were rolled up and in good condition. My only regret was paying for a folded color printout of the instructions, which I'd already downloaded and printed for free at work.

I ordered the hexTronic 24g 1300kv and GWS pico servos from HK, the SkyLipos from hobbypartz, a CC Thunderbird 9 ESC, So-Lite, GWS props and a bunch of other stuff from RadicalRC. They have a really interesting selection of equipment.

I don't have room to have two kits on the go at the same time so I need to finish up my TF Bearcat over the next few weeks. Good motivation to get her done!
jwiebe is offline Find More Posts by jwiebe
Old Apr 07, 2012, 12:04 AM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
This kit is like a good book that needs to be read in one sitting. The quality of design and the obvious effort that went into ensuring everything goes together just so make this an absolute pleasure to build. I've been collecting and studying plans, learning Autocad, and watching other builds while building my first two TF kits (Corsair and Bearcat) and I've learned more in one day about model aircraft design than I have in the past six months. Hats off to Rob for a great piece of work.
jwiebe is offline Find More Posts by jwiebe
Old May 08, 2012, 11:30 PM
Deutschland, BW, Karlsruhe
Joined Sep 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiebe View Post
This kit is like a good book that needs to be read in one sitting. The quality of design and the obvious effort that went into ensuring everything goes together just so make this an absolute pleasure to build. I've been collecting and studying plans, learning Autocad, and watching other builds while building my first two TF kits (Corsair and Bearcat) and I've learned more in one day about model aircraft design than I have in the past six months. Hats off to Rob for a great piece of work.
There is a manual! For me nothing was there, I can load it down?
Pupuyang is offline Find More Posts by Pupuyang
Old May 08, 2012, 11:31 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,570 Posts
Yes, been there for a while

http://www.manzanolaser.com/html/downloads.html

Along with some other interesting bits.

charlie
Old May 11, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Sep 2011
19 Posts
Thank You
Old May 12, 2012, 12:18 AM
Joined Sep 2011
19 Posts
The model you have purchased from manzanolaser.com?
Are there any other shop, which are a bit cheaper?
Old May 14, 2012, 07:12 AM
designer/builder
Kars, Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
805 Posts
This model is only available from Manzano Laser Works.
madrob is offline Find More Posts by madrob
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:16 PM
Joined Sep 2011
19 Posts
Do you have a picture as you have the servos installed inside?
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:16 AM
w. Mass.
Joined Jan 2008
83 Posts
1st flight

Greetings
I finally got the time to fly my Z after it sitting on the shelf completed for months.
What a great flying plane. I had a little trouble with the graphics on the many compound curves although they were well made by Callie .
I will build another and paint the wheel pants and the area behind the cowl on the next one unless a 1/4 scale kit is coming soon. I can't believe how well it flys and a lot cheaper than a eflite with the gyro. madrob you are awesome it's been a dream of mine to have a real working gee bee z. Thank you!
P.s the people at the field ate there words with a 3 pointer on the maiden.
Respectfully John G
jgg12002 is offline Find More Posts by jgg12002
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:34 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,570 Posts
It is interesting how the horrors of flying a GeeBee have persisted after all these years.

GeeBee's were notorious for being easy to fly. Crashes? Yep. They were high performance planes flown at and past their limits on a regular basis, usually at very low altitudes.

I'd rather fly a GeeBee than any other current competition aerobatic or race plane.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:43 AM
ARF Hater Club
Toronto, Ontario
Joined May 2004
2,660 Posts
I have completed the build and am doing final prep for covering etc. I will post some pictures later.

As expected, this kit was wonderful to put together. Parts fit well and nothing gave me too much trouble. Some sanding/carving is to be expected given this Z's lines.

Only issue I had was a seriously warped wing panel. I framed up the wing (minus top sheeting) and had it sitting on the bench for a week or more. When I lined it up again everything was way off. The wing root lined up but the tip had shifted back by 0.25" or so. Had a good amount of sweep and was really pronounced at aileron cutout. I had to cut slits in the bottom D-box sheeting and jig everything up to fix it. Must have been caused by some humidity effects or something.

Just getting the power system and electronics together now for it. What the is Hobbyking motor that everybody has been using? I was trying to dig back to see..
tommyeflight89 is offline Find More Posts by tommyeflight89
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:44 PM
w. Mass.
Joined Jan 2008
83 Posts
Gee bee motor

I used the bp hobbies 2204-19 motor and a apc 8x3.5 prop with great results.
Flew her again today with no wind , what a pleasure although I had more trouble landing without a headwind. Reminds me of my old dr1 landing Need to burp the trotle to keep it rolling straight ahead. I would love a larger short kit hint hint
Johnny
jgg12002 is offline Find More Posts by jgg12002