HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2007, 12:40 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Dec 2003
19 Posts
Discussion
Mounting Receiver with Velcro

On the old type receivers I would always wrap them in foam and secure them with rubber bands or velcro. With the XPS receiver, do you simply attach sticky back velcro to the receiver and the aircraft? Is that a sturdy enough attachment and provide enough vibration isolation?

If anyone has pics of alternate installations, that would help as well.

Thanks.

Trevor
T-ster is offline Find More Posts by T-ster
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2007, 12:49 AM
Dick Corby
Enumclaw, Washington
Joined Sep 2004
681 Posts
I fly only Electric, so don't have to be as concerned with vibration. So indeed I do mount my receivers with Industrial strength Velcro, and then as added security, wrap a Velcro Strap around them.
altacom is offline Find More Posts by altacom
Last edited by altacom; Nov 23, 2007 at 12:57 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 02:21 AM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2006
353 Posts
I do it as layers. Bottom is foam glued to the balsa. Next velcro. Next velcro to the receiver. This velcro keeps anything from sliding. Finally, a wrap of velcro with foam between it and the receiver. This wrap is to make sure that the receiver does not slap side to side and is a secondary attachment to the aircraft.

Actually, I do just about everything this way. I believe that all our electronic stuff should be isolated from vibration. I even do this on my larger electric aircraft.
skubacb is offline Find More Posts by skubacb
Old Nov 23, 2007, 06:34 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2005
323 Posts
I buy 4 ft packages of industrial grade "Velcro" at Lowes and use it to mount my receivers directly to the floor or a flat area. I experimented with using the foam covering that comes with Hitec receivers by gluing it to the floor of the plane and then the Velcro on top of that. I did not see any added vibration isolation benefits so I have eliminated the foam and now use just the Velcro - which provides vibration isolation but either way will work. My planes range from a Great Planes RV-4 to a Phoenix F22 Tiger Shark and several in between. All are XPS and all use the Velcro attaching method.

I did find that adding some thinned epoxy to the balsa or lite ply area (and let it cure) that I stick the Velcro on (AC side) seems to help provide a better attachment. When you try to remove the receiver from the plane it sometimes brings the mating Velcro with it. If you should experience a crash I seriously doubt that the receiver will depart from where it is attached.

One last thought - this technique sure makes securing your receiver a very simple task.

Howard
Howard L is offline Find More Posts by Howard L
Old Nov 23, 2007, 11:13 AM
pyote,tx
Joined May 2007
226 Posts
filters and finals in a receiver are fragile to vibration and will crack.you make your decision based on what you feel is best for you.me i put foam under them and a small piece of two sided tape to keep it from sliding and then a Velcro strap to hold in in place
3ddd is offline Find More Posts by 3ddd
Old Nov 23, 2007, 12:30 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,884 Posts
We zip tie or velcro our receivers directly to wood - no other cushion.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2007, 03:07 PM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
Hi Guys

I just velcro because i fly nothing but electric, works for me.
rcozstyle is offline Find More Posts by rcozstyle
Old Nov 24, 2007, 06:53 PM
Joined Oct 2007
29 Posts
Jim,

So you say the XPS receiver is not succesptible to vibration even if mounted directly to a wooden part of the plane?

Is this because it doesn't have the sensitive components we always worried about in 36/72 MHz rx?

And does this advice aply to all planes, ie gas powered, large scale, no restriction on engine type?

Thanks!
youngtimer is offline Find More Posts by youngtimer
Old Nov 24, 2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Independent!!
Eugene, OR
Joined Jan 2006
227 Posts
That's what I'm wondering. I don't think I could EVER mount a receiver without some kind of vibration isolation. The idea frankly scares the heck out of me!!
P-Diddy is offline Find More Posts by P-Diddy
Old Nov 25, 2007, 12:53 AM
Westland
Joined May 2007
55 Posts
IF i remember right hitec told me it makes no difference on performance whether you pad the receiver or not. The vibrations will transfer through. If i remember right they claimed its just good for some possible crash protection (a.k.a air bag for receivers). I wonder how true. I have always mounted my rx's like Jim does with no problems, weather it be with XPS, Futaba, Spektrum, doesnt matter.
Nankin Hobby is offline Find More Posts by Nankin Hobby
Old Nov 25, 2007, 11:27 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,884 Posts
We have never used any type of vibration reducing material for mounting receivers. We most of the time just zip tie them directly to wood. There are no crystals or sensitive components to worry about. The guy that flys our system in the USRA racing pulls 26 g's every corner, so g-force is not an issue either.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2007, 10:29 AM
Germany
Joined Jul 2004
38 Posts
Once again, Jim doesn't know his own system.

The XBee-Pro uses a Freescale MC13193, and this 2.4 GHz transceiver chip of course needs (and has) a 16 MHz crystal reference oscillator. Jim, take a look at the Freescale Documents, or simply open a XBee module. (Hint: a SMT crystal has four pins, it's next to the MC13193)

So it's a very good idea to isolate XPS receivers from vibrations just like any other electronic part.

Joerg
schaumflieger is offline Find More Posts by schaumflieger
Old Nov 26, 2007, 06:28 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,884 Posts
Obviously, I know our product better than anyone. The XBEE does NOT use a crystal. We have a 16MHz oscillator, just like the XBEE units. In both cases, we use coated ceramic resonators, which are not subject to vibrations issues.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2007, 06:51 PM
User
Colorado
Joined Oct 2004
1,424 Posts
Do your ceramic resonators have better than better than +/-15ppm frequency tolerance and temperature stability?
rmteo is offline Find More Posts by rmteo
Old Nov 27, 2007, 09:46 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,884 Posts
Yes, our resonators have a +/- 4ppm frequency stability.
RCG Plus Member